Dead Inside > Madness

Lyric

Dead Inside >>>>>>>> Madness

Music

Dead Inside > Madenss

Climax

Dead Inside <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< Madness

Madness wins! But Dead Inside is a great song

Totally agree with this. Madness is a good song and turns into a great song after the guitar solo.

Madness really grew on me a lot, which is somewhat odd for me, but still that solo feels like "oh... haven't played the guitar on this one..." and making up some Queen like solo on the spot.

Really feels like almost an afterthought, somehow.

And I get why people are disappointed that DI isn't "rock" with all that Muse had said about the album (although it's ONE fucking song on what's likely a heavier rock album...) but seriously, I'd take one "pop" song as good as Dead Inside over 10 uninspired "rock" tracks any day (so, basically, most of the rock songs on the last two albums...? Nearly.)

Personally I didn't dislike it because it's pop, I just don't like the songwriting.

I've realized that if Matt had focused on the melodies and writing lyrics where the syllables actually fit the beats, I would like the song even with bad lyrics. But instead he forced the music to fit the lyrics he wrote, and if you do that then the lyrics really have to be good enough to justify it, and they were not even close. That's what's disappointing for me about it.

Personally I didn't dislike it because it's pop, I just don't like the songwriting.

I've realized that if Matt had focused on the melodies and writing lyrics where the syllables actually fit the beats, I would like the song even with bad lyrics. But instead he forced the music to fit the lyrics he wrote, and if you do that then the lyrics really have to be good enough to justify it, and they were not even close. That's what's disappointing for me about it.

Do you realize Matt has never written lyrics before writing a song?

It's much better than Psycho. But I think having Psycho come right after this on the album is good, because the contrast will work in Psycho's favour. I've also warmed up to the fact that Dead Inside is the opener. Thematically it works well and feels almost like a prelude.

I can't remember a Muse song where people have had such a change of opinion after multiple listens, seems like everyone I talk to has warmed to the song immensely after a few plays.

I think a lot of this is due to the expectation a lot of people had for a heavy sound and were disappointed at first. I have to say I was one of them but this track is really starting to grow on me and it still beats a lot of the work on TR/T2L

On first listen I was really shocked by this song. It wasnt what I was expecting and the first "DEAD INSIDE!!" made me jump :LOL:

Now that I've had a few days to listen to it I quite like it. A lot. It feels like a continuation of Madness, given the theme of both of the songs, and I really enjoy Matt's vocals.

Wonder when we can expect a music video to drop

The "Dead Inside" bit is actually what I don't like. The rest of the song is fairly nice. I could kind of compare it to USoE, where most of it's fairly nice and you start losing yourself in the mood of the song, and then suddenly there's a second or two where they go all Queen on you, and it completely pulls you out of it. I wouldn't say it's as bad as that, but it still feels a bit disjointed from the rest of the song for me. A lot of the rest of it was quite encouraging for the album.

Now I really like this. Something about it just works and I was actually really surprised that when I watched the live version I thought it looked great, far better than Madness/Undisclosed Desires.

It's also the first Muse song for a while that I've actually found the lyrics to be quite cleverly put together, regardless of the simpleness.

Edited by dan.