Do you like Dead Inside?  

569 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like Dead Inside?

• Yes
    • No

I can't help but laugh at all the "lazy, standard 4 chord" comments. Not every song is going to be a creative, complex gem. That doesn't mean it's bad.

That progression is so popular, not because it's "easy" but because it sounds good. If Muse intentionally avoided using a common chord progression because "it's too popular", than they are limiting themselves just as much as if that was the only progression they ever used.

Like it or not, it fits with the song and doesn't at all sound out of place. In my opinion, the "Dead Inside" chorus seems a bit out of place, if anything.

Logic aside, I would find it extraordinarily hysterical if the guys sat down to finish this song and were like "What would piss off our fans the most?"

I can't help but laugh at all the "lazy, standard 4 chord" comments. Not every song is going to be a creative, complex gem. That doesn't mean it's bad.

That progression is so popular, not because it's "easy" but because it sounds good. If Muse intentionally avoided using a common chord progression because "it's too popular", than they are limiting themselves just as much as if that was the only progression they ever used.

:yesey:

The song just made huge sense to me, just because some utter twat argued with me for wearing earplugs at clubs and gigs. :LOL:

Just get in an argument with someone who you originally think is awesome. Amazing how your thought of someone can change, no matter how quick it happens. Hours, days, weeks, You'll soon realise what a waste of space they are and make you feel dead inside for realising how much time you've wasted. I barely understand the lyrics to anything but I understand this is the deterioration between Matt and Kate. The opposite/continuation to Madness. Life and stuff.

Edited by Destroya

I agree the edit is much better, especially because it makes the song shorter by almost a minute. The only downside is that it makes the song sound even more like Madness part 2. But whenever I get the urge to listen to the song again it will definitely be this edit.

that progression is so popular, not because it's "easy" but because it sounds good. If Muse intentionally avoided using a common chord progression because "it's too popular", than they are limiting themselves just as much as if that was the only progression they ever used."

The problem isn't that they're using a common chord progression. The problem is that it sounds boring in the song and removes every momentum the track might have up to that point.

This is sort of why these aspects aren't objective. Objectively, it is a simple and common chord progression, but whether people like it or not depends on how said progression is used in context. And the criteria of that is of course very vague and subjective.

The problem isn't that they're using a common chord progression. The problem is that it sounds boring in the song and removes every momentum the track might have up to that point.

The song by virtue had no momentum until then because there were far fewer layers and the song structure didn't evolve.

I hear ya and I agree. But anyways I just can't take people saying "its shit because its pop" or comments that amount to that seriously. That is not a serious criticism it just makes someone look stupid.

The whole point I made in my original post is saying something is shit because its pop or it wasn't what you wanted is entirely different than saying something is shit because the vocal performance is bad or the song writing is lazy. You are aware of this correct? Yeah in the end it all comes down to "personal preference" if you want to use that scape goat out of an argument but there are varying degrees of fair and acceptable criticisms to any piece of subjective media.

This is why you'll never see any professional reviewer with a job resort to "its shit because its pop" and be taken seriously.

This doesn't in any way validate ideas regarding objectivity in music tastes though.

So I made an alternative edit of it. Removed the bits I don't like (the intro "dead inside" and some some parts of the last chorus and also moved the solo around)

Some of you might hate it but I like it better this way :)

https://www.sendspace.com/file/hox67h

Wow, sad how much better this is even when I can tell where cuts were made. Psycho also had the fan edit without all the drill sergeant stuff (though that still could have done without the second to last chorus). Not to get panicky, but it is a bit concerning when fans can instantly find and execute simple improvements for the songs that Muse decided were finished lol

Still happy with Reapers though, so that's good.

That edit that someone made of the song (sorry to lazy to go back 35234 pages) is fucking amazing.

That's so much better!

I agree the edit is much better, especially because it makes the song shorter by almost a minute. The only downside is that it makes the song sound even more like Madness part 2. But whenever I get the urge to listen to the song again it will definitely be this edit.

Wow, sad how much better this is even when I can tell where cuts were made. Psycho also had the fan edit without all the drill sergeant stuff (though that still could have done without the second to last chorus). Not to get panicky, but it is a bit concerning when fans can instantly find and execute simple improvements for the songs that Muse decided were finished lol

Still happy with Reapers though, so that's good.

This is better.

Those 4 chords are still so boring though.

I like it

They should have hired me instead of Rob Mutt!

haha thanks guys. Not too bad for a 5 minute job eh! I'll try to make a proper edit with cleaner cuts later.

Edit: streaming link on Mixcrate to make it more 'legal':

http://www.mixcrate.com/alibros/dead-inside-ab-edit-9131619

Edited by Eilya

We'll have to agree to disagree on that. At that point in the song, I feel like the driving forces are the drums and the bass, so in my opinion it feels perfect. The drums pick up and the bass plays a steady, less groovy pattern, which I think carries and continues to build on the momentum of the song. Upon repeated listens, I think it works very well with Matt's "frenetic" vocal delivery towards the end of the song, which is why I no longer feel like the song drags.

The only thing I could imagine fitting better would be overdubbing an extra guitar playing steady ascending octaves around the last 30 seconds of the song.