Soldier's Poem,

Exo-Politics,

I Belong To You,

Madness,

Save Me,

Liquid State,

Isolated System,

Big Freeze.

Unnatural Selection. Everything from the bridge onwards is golden, and the first half is still pretty good. I honestly hope it sticks around live.

Been having to listen to it lately and also have come to really like it too. I like the verses too actually, the quickness of the lyrics and such.

inb4 jj

Edited by Kueller917

Unnatural Selection. Everything from the bridge onwards is golden, and the first half is still pretty good. I honestly hope it sticks around live.

on the album it's probably a solid 6/10 but when i saw it live i definitely appreciated it a lot more, especially the choruses and the outro - beefy as hell

Been having to listen to it lately and also have come to really like it too. I like the verses too actually, the quickness of the lyrics and such.

inb4 jj

The buildup at the end of the bridge back into the chorus is really good, too.

on the album it's probably a solid 6/10 but when i saw it live i definitely appreciated it a lot more, especially the choruses and the outro - beefy as hell

Yeah, as has been said a thousand times at this point, it suffers due to its production.

For me...

Soldier's Poem - incredible chord structure, with some truly innovative backing vocals. It's exactly what I like about them musically.

Hoodoo - structurally, I think it's a masterpiece, with some of the finest lyrics Bellamy has ever written

Undisclosed Desires - Melodically, there's something about this that really gets me, and particularly in the Resistance/2nd Law era, it's nice to have that oasis of sincerity (which I think Madness lacks largely due to Matt's Bono-ing) and the intimacy of its lyrics.

Unnatural Selection - I've always liked this one, and seeing it live in '09, the thrall that Bellamy had the audience in during the solo was amazing.

Big Freeze - I'm not quite as in love with this as the others above, but there's something about its melody and that chorus that works for me. And, just to mix things up a little:

Knights Of Cydonia - I wish people wouldn't complain about this closing the gigs, i reckon it's the best rock song written in the last 10 years and the perfect set closer. It's their signature, their equivalent of Won't Get Fooled Again, and I wouldn't want it any other way.

Everywhere. People here seem to have different opinions to other fans. Such as Take a Bow. That's considered average by anyone I've met who's a fan on the Internet and in real life, but here people see it as one of Muse's best.

'Take a Bow' was the song that made me a fan. I've got a good hi-fi but I rarely use it to listen to the radio. One day I did have the radio on and 'Take a Bow' was played. It sounded so amazing that my son and I both bought BHAR.

Explorers for me is one of the strongest songs on T2L, I think it's such an amazingly written piece, from the structure to the melody/chord shifts. I generally find that a lot of people bash songs that are less heavy for simply not being balls-out rock.

The same goes for the more electronic songs like Madness/Dead Inside/Follow Me/UD I've seen the argument 'it needs more guitar' pretty often and it's just kinda dumb and close-minded imo.

Considering the fact that hoodoo is so insanely simple with only 3-4 chords, and with no buzzing arpeggios or orchestras, and still gives this sort of classically massive feeling totally gets me. Kudos to bellamy

'Take a Bow' was the song that made me a fan. I've got a good hi-fi but I rarely use it to listen to the radio. One day I did have the radio on and 'Take a Bow' was played. It sounded so amazing that my son and I both bought BHAR.

I love this story!

I fully understand why Follow Me isn't everyone's cup of tea, and I was really against the idea of an "electric" song at first, too.

Also, it's the pop side of Muse that people have been trying to deny for ages.

And yeah, the emotion it has live vocally wasn't translated at all into the more sterile studio version.

What irks me is people constantly saying the lyrics are "cringy" etc.

I mean, sure, if you misinterpret it as being sung to a woman, I guess I can see some people taking a bit of issue with that (although, maybe embarrassingly, I think I'd be very :love: if some guy I liked said things like that to me.)

But taken as it was meant, from father to son, damn near makes me choke up almost everytime I hear it, still.

Especially knowing the context.

inb4 jj

*parachutes into this discussion*

*shits onto the ground*

That's my original contribution which is > US.

The bridge is actually okay, and I thought it was kind of stellar live.

The rest of the song is boring and derivative, imo, and a lot of the vocal delivery irks the shit out of me (the "ocean" endings, for example.) Interestingly, Matt fixed a lot of that live, at least last tour.

Mostly, I just find the lyrics indefensible. Felt like too far into that sort of "big rock band pandering to the masses" type of thing. I really, really don't think millionaire musicians relate to my situation in life, and calling out the "lucky" ones (like, *ahem*, millionaire rockstars...) rubs me the wrong way.

But, that's probably a different type of thread. :chuckle:

The bridge is actually okay, and I thought it was kind of stellar live.

The rest of the song is boring and derivative, imo, and a lot of the vocal delivery irks the shit out of me (the "ocean" endings, for example.) Interestingly, Matt fixed a lot of that live, at least last tour.

Mostly, I just find the lyrics indefensible. Felt like too far into that sort of "big rock band pandering to the masses" type of thing. I really, really don't think millionaire musicians relate to my situation in life, and calling out the "lucky" ones (like, *ahem*, millionaire rockstars...) rubs me the wrong way.

But, that's probably a different type of thread. :chuckle:

The only good part about that song is the chorus. The outro would be passable if its production wasn't total shit. The breakdown completely kills what momentum the track had, and was totally shoehorned in. Beyond being a shameful self-rip off, the verses sound like a Muse tribute band's attempt to pass off one of their own songs as a Muse song on YouTube during a new album release cycle.

I fully understand why Follow Me isn't everyone's cup of tea, and I was really against the idea of an "electric" song at first, too.

Also, it's the pop side of Muse that people have been trying to deny for ages.

And yeah, the emotion it has live vocally wasn't translated at all into the more sterile studio version.

What irks me is people constantly saying the lyrics are "cringy" etc.

I mean, sure, if you misinterpret it as being sung to a woman, I guess I can see some people taking a bit of issue with that (although, maybe embarrassingly, I think I'd be very :love: if some guy I liked said things like that to me.)

But taken as it was meant, from father to son, damn near makes me choke up almost everytime I hear it, still.

Especially knowing the context.

My only issue with the lyrics is that I'm not sure how "I won't let them hurt, hurting you, no" makes any grammatical sense. I know it's supposed to be "they're hurting you," but I don't hear the "they're" at all, and it still doesn't make much sense.

But yeah I expected to hate Follow Me and was pleasantly surprised.

• 2 weeks later...

Starlight and Madness are my 2 favorite Muse songs. I also love Explorers and Guiding Light, and Fillip is a guilty pleasure.

Unnatural Selection and Map of the Problematique. Two absolute epics, definitely in my Top 10, if not my Top 5. I won't hear anything against them.

You shouldn't even need to defend those. They're amazing, and both in my Top 10 as well.