Let's do some Second Law defending baby!

Supremacy is often derided as boring, which... you know, may be true for you, but I still find it pretty awesome. I remember when the shitty quality video from E-werk went on Youtube and everyone loved it. On record it may be not as hard-hitting, but "beef" is just not everything man. I love the melody, the theatricality, the build-up and the falsettos.

But it does feature the worst Muse lyric ever written...

Madness is even more shat upon by hordes of Muse fans. Fuck that. It's pop, yes, but it's a very satisfyingly written pop song. It's one of their best flowing songs - making the last part very cathartic, but a lot of people prefer Psycho because it's in a genre they like. Even though it's not New Born or Plug In Baby, I actually kinda understand why Matt thought it was his best song at the time (I guess he's changed his mind by now...)

Animals... just a fantastic track, but like Supremacy many view it as a bore. Don't get it. It would fit right onto OOS and actually surpass quite a few of those tracks in quality. Love the use of the harpsichord, the barely suppressed anger and the ending riff. It may be Muse's most mature track on a musical level (not on a lyrical level, granted, even though I love the line "Kill yourself, come on and do us all a favor")

Explorers... I actually understand the hate (it's basically Don't Stop Me Now and No Surprises with a Westlife key change at the end) but I find the song extremely listenable. It's so soothing, the sonic version of a warm blanket. I love those background vocals that everyone finds cheesy.

Edited by MalvaBlanco

I will forever defend Save Me, Explorers, Guiding Light, Undisclosed Desires, Madness, Panic Station and Big Freeze :D

There seems to be an aversion to hyper-melodic, happy Muse. In the BHAR days, people were complaining about Invincible like it was the worst song ever.

I can appreciate most of those "happy" songs (except for Neutron Star Collision, that's just a mess. Worst chorus ever and recycled Knight of Cydonia drumming). It adds a dimension that was missing from their earlier albums, even though they probably pull of the dark stuff better.

I must say, I think Mercy is one of their best ever pop songs. It has really grown on me, extremely catchy, more heavy than starlight for all the right reasons and combines a lot of great instrumentation. Fantastic bass line, great guitar in the chorus and a fantastic melody, all backed by the lovely synth appregios.

Compared to revolt it's a no contest. No matter how often I listen to revolt I simply cannot get past the mountainous wall of cheese facing me. The bad kind of catchy.

I actually also love Dead Inside. First half isn't amazing, but those vocals from the bridge onwards is some of Bellamy's best.

I must say, I think Mercy is one of their best ever pop songs. It has really grown on me, extremely catchy, more heavy than starlight for all the right reasons and combines a lot of great instrumentation. Fantastic bass line, great guitar in the chorus and a fantastic melody, all backed by the lovely synth appregios.

fp6Xn.gif

Revolt is so fucking good. The guitar in the verses hits hard for me, & the time change into the chorus keeps the whole song entertaining. And that chorus is meant to be sung as loud as possible.

I played this on way home from work just now as loud as I possibly could & it made it TEN TIMES BETTER. Aside from The Globalist, this is the song I'm most looking forward to hearing a live version of.

Also, Guiding Light is awesome as well. The live performance on the Rome bluray sounds so damn epic. Before my first Resistance tour show I learned all the words to that song. I've seen them 7 times since that show & have been shafted each time in seeing that one live.

fp6Xn.gif

Although it doesn't do a hell of a lot I think the guitar chugs the chorus on at a decent pace. Simple chord progression? Yes, but sometimes things don't need to be overly complicated. Particularly as mercy is one of those tracks with a few more elements than just guitar, bass and drums. And that pace of guitar matching drum rhythm is important in the track considering the majority of the chorus is a long note on one word. Could of been boring otherwise, but in my opinion, it does just enough. Plus im a sucker for synth appregios and some backing keys on these type of tracks.

Quite a lot, really. I keep finding that the songs I like aren't very popular around here.

Falling Down, Darkshines, The Small Print, Endlessly, Thoughts of a Dying Atheist, Invincible, Exo-Politics, Resistance, Undisclosed Desires, Unnatural Selection, Madness, Explorers, Dead Inside.

You have some great ones in that list that I would defend. :yesey: