Since i became a Muse fan in the Absolution Era, their has always been a song off every album that has received a lot of criticism, from Endlessly and Soldiers Poem, to Guiding Light, and Explorers(Not limited to these, just examples). I have always seemed to like these songs(And all the rest on the album(;) bit what I'm wondering is: What song will you stand by and be a proud fan of despite the opinions of your fellow Musers.

For me it's Endlessly, i really love what they did with the sound of it. And yes it is a personal song, much like Madness. But it was key to the development of the story behind the very much conceptual Absolution. It talks about how during this apocalypse someone has lost a loved one, and despite losing them; this person will hopelessly love them for the rest of their life. I think it's beautiful. Personal, but beautiful. I will stand by that.

Edited by bbgunn34

Endlessly, Soaked, Glorious (mostly needs defending against Clunge because he is a clunge), Soldier's Poem, Neutron Star Collision, I Belong To You, Exo-Politics and probably some others that I can't think of right now.

Edit: Oh, and Explorers.

Edit 2: And Fillip. Always Fillip.

Survival is generally liked but still people say 'shit lyrics' or 'over the top'.

Meanwhile Jon Holmes of BBC Radio 4's The Now Show described it as an "Epically proportioned cacophany of enormous noise" that was like "the sound of an orchestra falling down some stairs" created by "throwing a hand-grenade into a music cupboard and recording the results".

I think it's more defending me, as people generally refuse to really distinguish one bad or "embarrassing" song, from the entire band being bad or embarrassing.

I have absolutely no issues saying here that I can't stand Survival, and I've never warmed up to it, but with "regular" people, it feels more like admitting I like a shit band, instead of a good band with a shit song or two.

In normal situations, maybe. Survival is such an OTT monstrosity, I mostly find people just assume Muse is a "joke" band or some such if they hear it and aren't familiar much with any of the other work (or, prior to Madness, it was mainly KoC, which could also been seen similarly as too OTT or jokey.)

I shouldn't really give two shits what my house guests think of Muse, but for some reason it bugs me to have them think I'm "seriously into" something they put on a level with Weird Al records.

I've never been ashamed to say I defend Muse to people, though. I think they've largely had some magnificent output, and the few misses (even when spectacular misses) shouldn't detract from that.

But, to the outside world it's mostly down to my personal insecurities. And the fact most of my acquaintances are insufferable hipster wannabes.

Having my bf stop playing the damn song when company is over would probably solve the issue, but unlike me, he seems to like when people think he's "different."

I think it's more defending me, as people generally refuse to really distinguish one bad or "embarrassing" song, from the entire band being bad or embarrassing.

Conversely though, to assert that Survival is a good song relative to the Muse canon sets an expectation for uninitiated, potential fans that the band's "best" works are only a marginal improvement over what has just been regarded as trite.

Instead, I would sincerely agree with their opinion that Survival is disappointing, if not redeemed slightly by its fun eccentricities. Then I would point out the gaping chasm in quality compared to Muse at their creative peak.

I don't think I've ever told anyone I think it's a good song, I've just downplayed how much I actively dislike it. Never really thought about it until now, and just remembered this happened last week; maybe also because it feels like insulting my boyfriend, as well.

I guess, on topic, he has aggressively defended Survival, to me, as a "masterpiece."

Invincible

Exo-Politics

Feeling Good

Unintended

Oh, Escape too. I love that one, but I'm not too sure if it's widely disliked. The EP version is one of Muse's best songs.

Do you mean Sing for Absolution? I can honestly say I've never seen anyone say they don't like that song.

Easily in my top 5, though I have a different interpretation of it.

I do have a love of some truly hated/disliked Muse songs, though. :chuckle:

Fuck i meant endlessly what the figgity fuck