Why would I need to defend Exo-Politics and Sing For Absolution? Does this board not like em? :eek:

Exo-Politics can be polarising, I think most people are at least okay with it though. Don't think I've seen SFA catch any real stick either, just doesn't get much active love.

Exo-Politics can be polarising, I think most people are at least okay with it though. Don't think I've seen SFA catch any real stick either, just doesn't get much active love.

Exo-Politics is the story of a disappointed love for many.

I wouldn't say it was hated, just that it turned out a bit bland. It wasn't very good live in 2006 either.

SFA was a time when Muse did good, powerful slow songs

Endlessly. I bloody love it coz somewhere deep inside I'm just a big mushy puddle.

Feeling Good. It's my favourite cover version ever.

Resistance. Yes the chorus is cheesy as hell. I care not!

Undisclosed Desires. I have no idea why I love this as much as I do because I should REALLY hate it. But I don't.

Madness. Not sorry.

The only problem I have with Exo-Politics' instrumental changes is the tinny guitar riff at the start. It'd sound way better if that first verse was just vocals and drums backed by those eerie backing vocals imo, until the bass kicks in. Then have the guitar come in for the pre-chorus. The solo's a bit guff too I suppose, but it was always like that.

But, yeah, it's the lyrics that are the biggest miss. Burning Bandits/Pee Candle has some of Matt's coolest lyrics during the pre-chorus imo, then it got changed to all that zeta satellite faff.

Edited by Jobby

BH&R was a confusing album, lyrically and thematically.

There's some really dark stuff on there, politically, and stuff like Exo kind of shits on that by bringing up the alien conspiracy crap.

Which honestly, Matt's always been known for, and detracts from any "message" he's ever wanted to get across.

BH&R was the album where Matt was saying every track was from a different perspective/character iirc. So I guess Exo-Politics is supposed to be from a 'crazed tin foil hat conspirator' type character. But then you've got stuff like Supermassive, and god knows what perspective that's supposed to be from :chuckle: Probably just another of Matt's half-baked 'concepts' that end up not really applying to the whole album.

There's certainly sort of a "space" theme running in more than one song, but I never thought it meshed well with the very serious political themes, and wished they maybe just made two different, more themed, albums.

Not many people who listen to it think along the lines of "different characters" and it's obviously just furthered people's perception of Matt as an actual crazy person. :chuckle:

I'm probably just oversensitive, but SMBH always struck me as a bit sexist, in addition to just being a bit of a crappy song. (And probably one of the more "personal" tracks on the album, sadly... Didn't he also say a lot of the tracks were inspired by his "nagging girlfriend"?)

Then again, I really defend Follow Me, so what do I know?

It's certainly one of those songs that Matt has had several "descriptions" for, including batshit stuff about the queen and robots iirc, but the predominant one I remember reading was that it's a comparison with supermassive black holes being these big dangerous, empty things in the center of galaxies, that everything revolves around, and that eventually suck them in and destroy them. And "that's what women are like."

BH&R was a confusing album, lyrically and thematically.

There's some really dark stuff on there, politically, and stuff like Exo kind of shits on that by bringing up the alien conspiracy crap.

Which honestly, Matt's always been known for, and detracts from any "message" he's ever wanted to get across.

I love BHAR, but as you've said, it touches diverse moods and styles throughout itself.

I'd personally split it roughly in three parts, paying more attention to music than lyrics and leaving Take A Bow on its own as the "take-off" track.

1. Space rock/pop zone (Starlight, Supermassive, Map)

2. War-Political-Conspiracy zone (from Soldier's Poem to Exo-Politics)

3. Western/Latin zone (City Of Delusion, Hoodoo, Knights).

It's certainly one of those songs that Matt has had several "descriptions" for, including batshit stuff about the queen and robots iirc, but the predominant one I remember reading was that it's a comparison with supermassive black holes being these big dangerous, empty things in the center of galaxies, that everything revolves around, and that eventually suck them in and destroy them. And "that's what women are like."

What if the concept of a supermassive black hole is a graphical metaphor for... You know...

What if the concept of a supermassive black hole is a graphical metaphor for... You know...

I'd be way more okay with a vagina joke, than the idea it's about women being this irresistible destructive force leading men to their doom. :LOL:

That's just not healthy.

I remember hearing Hysteria was an orgasm reference, and it doesn't particularly bother me.

I think it was a sexist joke rather than the description of a sexist song. Which makes it..slightly better?

No. :phu::chuckle:

Honestly, though, the description really does fit the lyrics, and it's probably a pretty truthful explanation, imo.

He's made the same sort of comparisons in interviews, and with other songs, as well. Moths to flames, Darkshines, Space Dementia, etc.

Maybe just a running theme of being attracted to people you shouldn't be, or being naturally a self destructive person.

Mostly, I just remember how much I hate SMBH, regardless of what it might or might not be about, and forget it exists until I watch a gig.

No. :phu::chuckle:

Honestly, though, the description really does fit the lyrics, and it's probably a pretty truthful explanation, imo.

He's made the same sort of comparisons in interviews, and with other songs, as well. Moths to flames, Darkshines, Space Dementia, etc.

Maybe just a running theme of being attracted to people you shouldn't be, or being naturally a self destructive person.

Mostly, I just remember how much I hate SMBH, regardless of what it might or might not be about, and forget it exists until I watch a gig.

Hmm then fair enough. But don't expect to get much support for that claim, people generally reject the idea that anything could be sexist with the argument that "not everything is sexist". Very logical, I know.

It's certainly a part of what I don't like about the song, but it's far from the only one.

tbf, the meaning, or Matt's comments on the meaning, bothered me from time to time, but there's enough evidence out there that Matt's just that kind of guy who's either way too honest, or way too oblivious to things he's saying at times, that's it's not like I take it overly personally or anything.

Guy just puts his foot in his mouth a lot.

It's a complicated thing, I guess, when I feel like it shouldn't be.

I have a colleague who I periodically defend Hoodoo to... because he thinks the idea of a guy being protective of a woman is unhealthy and a bit Neanderthal, and thinking it's "romantic" makes me some sort of anti-feminist.

I don't profess to be either or; just an opinionated bitch.

I've never thought of this and this could say quite a lot about him. There's some other songs that could fit this theme too.

Black holes are the cancer of the universe, they feed off their surroundings and use the sustenance to continue growing infinitely. This being a metaphor for narcissistic people (slash women?) who suck the life out of you to feed their own ego.

Basically the same meaning as Dead Inside but a lot more opaque in its description.

Black holes are the cancer of the universe, they feed off their surroundings and use the sustenance to continue growing infinitely. This being a metaphor for narcissistic people (slash women?) who suck the life out of you to feed their own ego.

Basically the same meaning as Dead Inside but a lot more opaque in its description.

arent you basically repeating what she just said? It's the "slash women" part that is the issue.