Two stand out to me right away:

1. Resistance (love 1984, the tune, everything about it)

2. Exo-Politics (don't get the hate, even with Zetas)

exo is one of my fav muse songs i don't get why people hate on it so much, Resistance tho is kinda boring sometimes

I feel I'm a little late to the party to participate in the main discussion that I read on the first page of this thread, my fault for not coming here as much as a Muse fan should.

I defend Muse for SO many songs. In no order, I have defended at least once:

Showbiz, Supermassive black hole, Micro cuts, Hysteria, Ruled by Secrecy, Fury, I belong to you, Exogenesis Symphony, The Resistance, Uprising, Panic Station (Mainly the video), Supremacy.

However I repeatedly find myself defending:

Unsustainable, Neutron Star Collision and Survival.

I love Survival. I get the impression most people hate it, feel the lyrics are cheesy, and I kinda agree with that but the song itself is ****ing gold. The solo is amazing, the choir makes it sound SO powerful. I really like that song.

I defend Muse for SO many songs. In no order, I have defended at least once:

Showbiz, Micro cuts, Hysteria, Ruled by Secrecy, Fury.

Who ever dissed one of these songs? I understand that some people may not like the others in your list (nevertheless I do) but how could anyone ever hate on one of these gems?

Who ever dissed one of these songs? I understand that some people may not like the others in your list (nevertheless I do) but how could anyone ever hate on one of these gems?

Uhm, you're really asking why someone would dislike Micro Cuts?

And Ruled By Secrecy is often considered quite boring. And Fury is meh.

Uhm, you're really asking why someone would dislike Micro Cuts?

And Ruled By Secrecy is often considered quite boring. And Fury is meh.

Micro Cuts is fantastic in my opinion, but I guess I could understand how it's not everyone's cup of tea. But I've always thought Fury is regarded as one of Muse's greatest song by the majority of Musers, and the climax of Ruled By Secrecy is just :awesome:

Is it really that difficult to put yourself in someone else's shoes? I love both Micro Cuts and Ruled By Secrecy, but that doesn't mean I can't understand that someone might not like a song sung entirely in an operatic falsetto, or a song which for the majority of its duration is very mellow and doesn't have a catchy melody.

Just saying "I don't understand how you can't like this...I mean I like this" is so ridiculous.

Outside of "dedicated" Muse fans, I have not found a single person who likes Micro Cuts, and have been asked to turn it off more often than not, if it comes up on my rotation.

One particularly pleasant old biddy from the neighborhood church once chastized me about playing openly satanic music where she walked her dog. Good times.

RBS wasn't my favorite song when I first got the album, either. Build up was a bit slow, and I liked the heavier songs a lot more. Didn't hate it or anything, but often didn't make it that far.

Is it really that difficult to put yourself in someone else's shoes? I love both Micro Cuts and Ruled By Secrecy, but that doesn't mean I can't understand that someone might not like a song sung entirely in an operatic falsetto, or a song which for the majority of its duration is very mellow and doesn't have a catchy melody.

Just saying "I don't understand how you can't like this...I mean I like this" is so ridiculous.

I said that I could understand how it's not for everyone. Happy? Probably not.

I thought it was great. When they played it with the extended keytar intro it was hauntingly beautiful ��

I miss the keytar intro too. And Helsinki Jam before it. :D

But yeah, as a song by itself it's very underwhelming live. Not even electronic enough to dance to. It just kind of...is. I'm crossing my fingers it gets dropped on the next tour.

On topic: For me, the most prominent example of a song I'll always defend is probably Starlight. And most of the Showbiz songs deserve much more love.

Edited by haarpuna

In all honesty, Guiding Light is one I'd defend. It's tongue-in-cheek and I think it's good fun. Starlight is another, I think it's nice, anthemic in a kind of relaxed way. It's still shit closer material though.

Starlight on the album/early 2006 live versions are good, it just gets a lot of hate now because it's pretty lacking without matt playing guitar, and does not work as a closer one bit

I'd probably go with Follow Me. From the opening heartbeat to the lyrics of love and guidance, the song was obviously written for Matt's newborn son. My wife and I had a tiny premature son born right before The 2nd Law was released and Follow Me has always had some sentimental meaning to me. In fact, the first time I was able to separate my wife from the baby to go out for a few hours was when we went to see Muse in concert a few months later.

Guiding Light is a pretty good song as well if you take it in the cheesy power ballad context. The slow build-up of the song and the solo sound good live.

For me, the one Muse song that's indefensible is I Belong to You. Just so bad.

Invincible - love it. It was a highlight for me at my first Muse gig (RAH), never heard it live since

Guiding Light I also love. Great as it creates a dynamic against the full on stuff.

Survival - I went to two Olympic events, and the showing of the Survival video was a great way to raise the emotion levels before the event started. And who can forget that insane performance at the Olympic Closing Ceremony!