Muse peaked at Absolution?

Novus Dies

Resistance is particulary distinguished by its lack of creativity, i think, whereas Black holes and revelations was still a try to create something new.

I totally disagree. The Resistance verges on being too creative.

Anyway, it's very hard for me to choose. My favourite release is pre-Absolution, but then so is my least favourite. The in-between ones are post-Absolution. It ends up being about equal to me.

do i have to choose, can't i take the golden middle road and like the sound of all albums, as they all are great? But if i have to i would choose absolution, thats more of a bridge between the 'new', if you want to state it that way, and the 'older' albums.

I like all of them for different reasons. Depends on my mood. Today I really felt like punching someone in the face (I think I've eaten too much Halloween candy), so I wanted to listen to Showbiz alot, particularly Cave and HTAILY really loud.

I like how all of the albums have a different personality. Overall though, OoS is my fave, followed closely by Abso.

Defintely before Abso

I too, like someone above, heard BH&R before anything else and followed The Resistance to release date

But after hearing the rest and watching live performances of Abso and before i have to say i prefered that era

I still love all the albums but OoS and Abso are definetley the two best albums for me:D

Exactly the same for me.

The rawness of the sound and stuff from that era is just awesome.

All of them are good.

Although if I'm required to choose it'd have to be post-Abso. BH&R is still my first Muse album and it defined the sound for me, to this day that album hasn't aged one bit. Absolution was afterwards and while a bit more grandiose in nature it still didn't feel that alienating. It wasn't until the older albums which I still enjoy, but they haven't stuck onto me like the newer ones. Origin is overrated to hell, Showbiz is good. I'm actually wondering if I don't like Showbiz better than Origin.

And in overall, The Resistance, for me atleast, is the better album out of their entire catalogue.

sorry for all this writting but please read it anyway. took me ages:LOL:

i became a fan of muse in march 2008, so after BH&R came out. i also waited for the resistance to come out which was a pretty long wait. but i think that BH&R IS their sound (cos i discovered them in that era) and the 3 previous albums are so old. i feel that the resistance is very seperate from all their other albums too. does anyone else feel the same?

but the resistance is my favourite album. i just enjoy listening to the songs on it a lot more. i think that this is only because i knew muse before it came out and i already loved their sound. i love every song on it and i dont think that i would like all the songs/the album as much if i didnt know of them beforehand.

and its no surprise that BH&R is my 2nd fave album. i think its their most 'musey' album if you know what i mean. when i think of the real original muse that is the album i think of. and this is because i discovered them in that era. MOTP one of the best songs ever:D. its so spacey and so much about matts consiracy theries. love exo and assassin heaps cos of the awesome guiatar and bass. the lyrics are confusing and strange but so unique to muse. knights is one of their most epic songs too.

Oos is my 3rd fave because i love next highest number of songs on it. love bliss, hyper music, PIB, CE, Micro cuts the best. Feeling Good is overrated. i love the craziness and epicness of the music and lyrics. the lyrics tell/show you how smart and genius matt is.

Absolution is 4th because it has one of my fave songs ever, time is running out. there are a few songs in it that i never really got into like AP, Blackout, B&H, RBS. but has awesome songs like TIRO, Hysteria, small print, thoughts, endlessly. sorry dont really love SS:$:facepalm:

then showbiz is last because it doesnt have the huge riffs and catchy choruses. but i love every song on it. but i just like fillip. MM and sunburn are the best

so id say after absolution is better

It's a simple issue for me; Black Holes & Revelations. It was just a rubbish album for the most part (Take A Bow, Map Of The Problematique and City Of Delusion are incredible tracks) so I can't say I entirely like post-Absolution Muse mainly because I despise most of BH&R and love The Resistance. If Muse can keep up the quality on their 6th album, I'll be really torn between pre-BH&R and post-BH&R.

My favourite Muse songs are:

New Born

Apocalypse Please

City Of Delusion

MK Ultra

Muscle Museum

One from each album, so I can't really place myself anywhere on the 'liking Muse' timeline :LOL:. The only big, deciding factor what that it was New Born, Bliss, Plug In Baby and Dead Star that got me into Muse and OoS was the first Muse album I got. I became hopelessly devoted in the build-up to Absolution so my love of Muse was fixed by those two albums.

I'd probably shade 55:45 towards Absolution/OoS against BH&R/The Resistance.

Prefer the Origin/Absolution era sound and the rawness of Showbiz. The most recent two albums have highs (Take a Bow, Map of the Problematique, City of Delusion, MK Ultra, Overture) but a lot of lows, though most of the lowest of the lows are on BHaR for me. The Resistance only has one song on it i'd deem awful, Black Holes has 3-4 depending on how little I care about Exo-Politics.

I love the more experimental side to Muse before absolution, especially during the time of Origin, but I think the quality of the music has improved a bit since.

One thing that botheres me with the last 3 albums though is the lack of consitency. Absolution flows perfectly for 10 tracks and then gets interupted by something completely half-assed in comparison. Black Holes and The Resistance try to shoe horn in too many genres of music, leaving the impression you've listened to a Muse compilation album rather than something as flowing and fitting as Origin of Symmetry.

I guess i'm a moany bardast who is never completely happy with what i'm listening to. Well unless its Origin of Symmetry. :D

before :yesey:

like you said i hold a lot more respect for albums like showbiz and OOS which are based more on their rawer 3 piece sound, rather than crazy amounts of synth to support the songs, i do like their more recent stuff and the classical additions and stuff are nice but it would be nice if they were just plain simple awesome.

granted there are days where i'd rather listen to say.. knights of cydonia than cave or whatever

also just because of my taste in music i prefer their older style to y'know stuff like guiding light, undisclosed desires (which is still awesome for what it is :awesome:) starlight, and so on and so forth

I love the more experimental side to Muse before absolution, especially during the time of Origin, but I think the quality of the music has improved a bit since.

One thing that botheres me with the last 3 albums though is the lack of consitency. Absolution flows perfectly for 10 tracks and then gets interupted by something completely half-assed in comparison. Black Holes and The Resistance try to shoe horn in too many genres of music, leaving the impression you've listened to a Muse compilation album rather than something as flowing and fitting as Origin of Symmetry.

I guess i'm a moany bardast who is never completely happy with what i'm listening to. Well unless its Origin of Symmetry. :D

this as well, lol, i just wish muse'd work out what they're good at

like, if i want R&B stuff i'll go listen to the charts, if i want pop-ish stuff i'll listen to the killers, if i want stadium type rock (which i really dont :LOL:) i'll listen to u2 if i want danceable type rock i'll listen to franz ferdinand

i mean i might listen to a musey version of that genre but, it sort of doesn't seem quite right..

in general if i want rock i'll listen to early muse, and if you ask me thats what they're good at.. but just consistency would be nice

and if i want to listen to a genre crossing band i'll listen to gorillaz :awesome:

I read this, and it interested me a lot. I think that jumping between genres is actually a good quality instead of a nuisance. To me, that is actually more experimental than anything. That is also one of the things I love about Muse - that they are experimental and don't lock themselves down in one genre. In my opinion, that shows true musicianship, classing them as musicians and artists instead of just rock band members. :)

I guess I've always taken for granted that everyone else thought this, but apparently they don't? :LOL: I wonder how many people share this way of thinking, and how many would simply prefer that they locked down on a single genre, and stayed in that? But maybe that is for a thread in itself... Now I wonder if I should actually start it. :LOL:

I read this, and it interested me a lot. I think that jumping between genres is actually a good quality instead of a nuisance. To me, that is actually more experimental than anything. That is also one of the things I love about Muse - that they are experimental and don't lock themselves down in one genre. In my opinion, that shows true musicianship, classing them as musicians and artists instead of just rock band members. :)

I guess I've always taken for granted that everyone else thought this, but apparently they don't? :LOL: I wonder how many people share this way of thinking, and how many would simply prefer that they locked down on a single genre, and stayed in that? But maybe that is for a thread in itself... Now I wonder if I should actually start it. :LOL:

I prefer an album that sticks to one thing and does it well, rather than loads of things not done as well as the people who stick to that genre. (I'm listening to Polar Bear right now, modern Jazz mixed with electronica)

I've got a wide range of music, personally, Muse doing Muse is more interesting than Muse being *insert genre* when I probably already have stuff from that genre anyway.

To answer the question:

1: OOS 2: Showbiz 3: The Resistance 4: Absolution 5: BH&R

maybe not locked down, i mean listen to showbiz and you've got like, jazz and angsty stuff and darker stuff and slower songs.. and OOS has all those classical influences and bliss has synth and prog rock ish stuff, absolution has a good go at more poppy love songs..

but it sort of changes in BHaR, dont know how.

I prefer an album that sticks to one thing and does it well, rather than loads of things not done as well as the people who stick to that genre. (I'm listening to Polar Bear right now, modern Jazz mixed with electronica)

I've got a wide range of music, personally, Muse doing Muse is more interesting than Muse being *insert genre* when I probably already have stuff from that genre anyway.

To answer the question:

1: OOS 2: Showbiz 3: The Resistance 4: Absolution 5: BH&R

:yesey:

summed it up more succinctly than me.

Archived