Muse peaked at Absolution?

Novus Dies

i don't have the goggles on all the time.. say i've not listened to OOS in ages, and i've heard kinda average music all day.. then BHaR sounds just awesome :awesome: but then my ipod'll skip to OOS or something and just... :noey: BHaR is forgotten...

and the reason i dont like stadium rock is it all seems to be so planned and so pressured to be perfect.. with all the awesome bumps smoothed over .. and it just drains creativity.

i'm just gonna give up trying to not sound like a OOS-abso. worshipper.. compare an early performance of plug in baby with one of the ones at wembley stadium.

*moan moan moan*

i shouldn't complain, muse're still better than most things.. just not themselves.

resuming.. i think the best record MUSE has ever come out with is like you said OOS.. however... the one i like the most is Absolution... Showbiz is the best first album ive seen a band have... and The Resistance is the album in which I see MUSE never to be forgotten... BUT (a really big "but" btw) the songs on the BH&R era have a very special meaning to me... songs like "Invincible" and "Glorious" have been really motivational for my life since they came out on 2006 and have eventually changed it for better... besides the first song i ever learnt to play is exo politics... :D

resuming.. i think the best record MUSE has ever come out with is like you said OOS.. however... the one i like the most is Absolution... Showbiz is the best first album ive seen a band have... and The Resistance is the album in which I see MUSE never to be forgotten... BUT (a really big "but" btw) the songs on the BH&R era have a very special meaning to me... songs like "Invincible" and "Glorious" have been really motivational for my life since they came out on 2006 and have eventually changed it for better... besides the first song i ever learnt to play is exo politics... :D

true, there's songs by muse which aren't as popular but i love for my own reasons... but then i don't like BHaR as much for my own reasons as well...

and you're right about showbiz.. it shouldn't be put down by people.. i'd rather listen to that than a large slice of the music which is churned out nowadays, and the fact it was their first album.. and they were so young just.. wow, they were only five years older than ME :LOL:

My ranking would be as follows:

Absolution-Origin of Symmetry

Showbiz

BHaR

Resistance

Absolution's probably their most solid album--the engineering and balance is all there, it flows well, and captures all of the elements that I think most of us associate with Muse. There were fantastic B-Sides to boot. Origin of Symmetry is a snapshot of Muse's most chaotic I think, but it's a wonderful chaos. It could probably have done without "Feeling Good," though I'd same the same of "Endlessly" in Absolution.

I don't like the full spread of Showbiz, but it has some pretty high highs. I can say unabashedly that I would rather listen to the last 30 seconds of "Cave" on repeat than most of the songs off of the last two albums.

Black Holes and Revelations had too many weak points, though "Knights of Cydonia" and "Take a Bow" were welcome additions to the Muse Hall o' Fame, and I thought the engineering remained solid at the very least.

I feel Resistance is their weakest album--it lacks punch, and I feel like the gut of the Muse beast has been eviscerated, leaving behind a shell of the Muse of the last 10 years, sprinkled with synths and clarinet solos. I'll admit I like "Unnatural Selection" and "United States of Eurasia," and "Guiding Light" is growing on me a bit, but I'd rather see them head in a different direction next.

I'd rather just see them head in a direction next album. Last two have been kinda all over the shop. At least The Resistance does it better than BHaR

i agree.. i think thats why im finding it so hard to like BHaR and at points TR..like they replaced edgyness/ new soundingness in one direction with edgyness/ new soundingness gained from not having a direction.. like their style is not having a style.. and it's getting kinda tired..

but my god if they go in the stadium rock guiding light u2 direction i'mma need a new favourite band.

i agree.. i think thats why im finding it so hard to like BHaR and at points TR..like they replaced edgyness/ new soundingness in one direction with edgyness/ new soundingness gained from not having a direction.. like their style is not having a style.. and it's getting kinda tired..

but my god if they go in the stadium rock guiding light u2 direction i'mma need a new favourite band.

Well they didn't do a whole album of Invincibles so there is still hope.

I prefered 'old muse' because it was easy to follow what they were doing:

Showbiz - Teenage angst

Origin of Symmetry - OTT Rock

Absolution - Blend of Rock and Classical influences

Black Holes and Revelations - Everything they like in an album

The Resistance - Everything they like in an album done a bit better with a Symphony and comedy elements

Well they didn't do a whole album of Invincibles so there is still hope.

I prefered 'old muse' because it was easy to follow what they were doing:

Showbiz - Teenage angst

Origin of Symmetry - OTT Rock

Absolution - Blend of Rock and Classical influences

Black Holes and Revelations - Everything they like in an album

The Resistance - Everything they like in an album done a bit better with a Symphony and comedy elements

lol yep very well summed up

very vaguely and without having listened to these songs recently :chuckle:-

resistance -> motp

undisclosed desires -> SMBH/ starlight

guiding light -> invincible

mk ultra/ unnatural selection/ possibly ibty.. -> KoC

uprising -> exo politics

and then theres exogenesis and IBTY

I know i've joined the thread mighty late, but I don't think Muse peaked with Absolution. It has the most disapointing end to a Muse album since Showbiz for a start. That and after the crazyiness that was Origin of Symmetry you could say Muse were playing it safe with Absolution. Much in the same way they seem to be with The Resistance, after the release of Black Holes & Revelations.

The Resistance doesn't progress too far from BH&R, and other Muse albums to an extent, which although was the point, is still a pretty safe move for the band. Much like Absolution, which sounded like a more accessible Origin of Symmetry.

I'd say Muse have so far peaked with Origin, but the spike in the graph keeps twitching up and down slightly with each album. It's all very close between the last 4 albums.

Absolution was there worst album. It's still good, but their worst imo so i don't agree they peaked lol. I'll follow muse whatever direction they go in. And if they're not child friendly anymore then fine by me cos i've grown up too. If we lose some emos and scene kids from the crowd then happy days. :)

Even if they did an album of hardcore trance fused with cringing gansta rap? You shouldn't force yourself to like something just because of the band. You should like the band because you like the music, not like the music because you like the band.

I know i've joined the thread mighty late, but I don't think Muse peaked with Absolution. It has the most disapointing end to a Muse album since Showbiz for a start. That and after the crazyiness that was Origin of Symmetry you could say Muse were playing it safe with Absolution. Much in the same way they seem to be with The Resistance, after the release of Black Holes & Revelations.

The Resistance doesn't progress too far from BH&R, and other Muse albums to an extent, which although was the point, is still a pretty safe move for the band. Much like Absolution, which sounded like a more accessible Origin of Symmetry.

I'd say Muse have so far peaked with Origin, but the spike in the graph keeps twitching up and down slightly with each album. It's all very close between the last 4 albums.

This.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey there people, who listened to the entire collection of MUSE albums, i have a question for you (quite a simple one, actually) :

As you have surely noticed, there is a huge gap between Absolution and Black Holes & Revelations. So, in the end, do you prefer MUSE' sound before and including Absolution album, or do you prefer The two last albums ?

Personnally, and it is purely subjective, i prefer the firsts albums. Why ? Because i feel like the two last albums are only sounds effect, and they are almost empty in terms of emotional content. Resistance is particulary distinguished by its lack of creativity, i think, whereas Black holes and revelations was still a try to create something new. Plus, in these two albums, i don't like the way Matt is singing. Subjective opinion again.

What disapoints me a lot too is the number of songs on each CD. I know that it's hard to create 20 new songs for an album, but 15 is the minimum, i think.

Yeah, i know it's easy to criticize, but hey, it's nothing personnal, i'm a fan since the first album.

Well I discovered muse after BHAR came out. That was the first of their albums I heard. The resistance is the first one that I followed up to its release and preordered etc.

Basically the BHAR sound was, as far as I was concerned, the first muse sound. So the older stuff, whilst amazing wasnt quite the same.

So yeah, I'm a post-abso fan. Although dont get me wrong I adore the first 3 albums too.

i prefer before absolution, though abosolution is my favorite album. i think i like young muse better than new muse because they were more rocky and didn't give a fuck what people thought of them. all they wanted to do was progress in their music career so they made fast, upbeat, rocky music to appeal to the listeners out there. they reached their goal and now they lost a bit of their spark that they once had. they slacked in making better music because they already have the money they wanted. but i love all of their songs and i will always LOVE muse because they still rock!!!!!:musesign:

I also prefer the older albums until Absolution, they were more rock, darker and "weirder". And I also like those older lyrics much better. But I must say that I also love BHAR!

With the new album it's really a bit complicated, I love some songs on it (MK Ultra, Unnatural selection) but half of the album is just:eek::stunned: But anyway, I still love them and I'm curious about what might come next.

OOS and Absolution (especially OOS) are by far their best albums, so I could just say I prefer pre-BH&R. But I don't think it's that simple...

If Map Of The Problematique, Supermassive Black Hole, Take A Bow, City Of Delusion, Unnatural Selection, Uprising, Overture, or MK Ultra were on either OOS or Absolution I think they would not only fit in but (for me) really stand out as being awesome and interesting songs. It's just the post-Absolution move towards cheesy clichés and predictable or plodding songs like Guiding Light, Invincible, Starlight, and (to a lesser extent) Resistance which I dislike.

Defintely before Abso

I too, like someone above, heard BH&R before anything else and followed The Resistance to release date

But after hearing the rest and watching live performances of Abso and before i have to say i prefered that era

I still love all the albums but OoS and Abso are definetley the two best albums for me:D

Well, if I had to list in order my favourite albums, it would be :

1) OoS

2) Absolution

3) Resistance

4) BHaR

5) Showbiz

Therefore, I'd say Pre-Absolution is my favourite period. But as said by others, it isn't that simple, there are some amazing tunes on the 2 last albums, and Matt was going for more originality (IMO, Absolution didn't change much compared to OoS, songs are wonderful, but Muse didn't innovate much), and big kudos to him for innovating rather than just using the same sounds over and over again.

Archived