Muse peaked at Absolution?

Novus Dies

Putting it in other words, Exogenesis is their most AMBITIOUS work, I mean...writting a symphony in this day and age? Who would do that?!

I predict that there is going to be a new fad in the music industry where all the artists (by all I mean ALL! Kanye West, the Jonas Brothers and other crappy musicians) are going to write symphonies and stuff!

You've obviously never heard of Post-Rock ;)

SS at Glastonbury <3

FTW!!!!!! Best live performance I've EVER SEEEN!!!! :D :D I really can't see that changing... unless they perform the most immense, insane, out-of-this-world orchestral performance of Exogenesis imaginable... like, literally, on a spacecraft or Mars or something! :awesome::pope: lol!

Ahem, but yeah... I agree to an extent. I think the 2003-2004 era was Muse at their prime for DEFS, especially live... their sound was loud, heavy and just brilliant; they had their immense stage presence and the occasional outburst of craziness without being too shroom-like (lol), and the whole 'concept' of the Apocalypse/end of the world madness etc surrounding the album was brilliant and the whole thing just fit!... plus, they became more 'user-friendly' with songs like TIRO and SFA at that point. Then, their defining moment hit with Glastonbury 2004... that's an almost famous 'landmark' Muse gig that put them firmly on the map as one of the best live British bands! ANNND, it was 04 when I really got into Muse, so that era has personal significance.

I think they seemed more loose and less constricted in their performances back then as well... before they started to dress like emo teenage girls (yes, you Dom!), boyband members (Maffoo and his red suits!) and Mexicans (Pedro!) ... although all of that was quite fun, haha!

So, yeah, Abso is my fave era for all the above reasons, and they were at their peak, so to speak! But, it's not my fave album. I don't think it marks the 'peak' of Muse's brilliance. I'm of the 'OoS is almighty genius' opinion, and I really doubt that'll ever change. Abso is still firmly up there, but, while I never thought any future Muse album would even match up to Abso's level, The Resistance is also really high up on my list in the album stakes... only a teeeny bit behind it. They really impressed me with this album, it's just redefined them! Anyways, for me it's: OoS>Abso>TR>BH&R>Showbiz! :yesey:

I'm gonna get all controversial here

xgmwsz.jpg

I honestly don't get the BH&R hate. Esp. considering it was the album most well-received by critics I think.

I don't think Muse has made great albums ever- some albums just have a greater number of great songs on them.

Origin of Symmetry

Absolution - The Resistance

Black Holes And Revelations

Showbiz

Origin of Symmetry IS their ULTIMATE MASTERPIECE...Absolution And the Resistance are pretty close...

..I love Showbiz and BHAR..too...

..I think we can all agree EVERY Muse Album is AMAZINGLY EPIC in their own unique way...

I spend far too much time worrying about the bands achievements/which are the best albums/where the albums are ranked, and not enough time actually enjoying the music of the band I dearly love.

Yeah, well I don't (I couldn't even begin to rank their albums or their tracks) but I still get caught up looking at other people's, something I don't even particularly enjoy. Their latest album is their most successful yet which is something I enjoy celebrating. I rather enjoy listening to it too. I haven't got a ranking, I enjoy all the albums, but at the moment I'm enjoying the latest one most because it's new and fresh and because its all their own work.

It's all down to personal preference, I suppose. I got into Muse with BHaR and though I do love Absolution (album & live era), to me it's missing the colour and variety and the funkier, dancier elements of the later albums. The music was more hard-hitting then, but also a lot more monochrome. Plus in terms of vocals I much prefer post-Absolution singing from Matt.

To me, Absolution is NOT a peak. Nor is Showbiz. There are two peaks in my imaginary muse graph: OoS and TR. BHaR is quite high, but Absolution is a bit level really. I partially wish Blackout was on BHaR because it's the best song on Absolution.

But that's just me. i wont deny it's a good album, but nothing special to this listener.

I would say Muse definitely peaked LIVE at the Absolution era. Maybe they've grown up a bit, but it was so awesome to see for instance Matt scratching and pushing awesome riffage out of his guitar at Hysteria. Now he just plays the intro riff along with Chris. His singing also has changed, it has become less extreme. Terrible to say, but some things just sound a bit dull compared to those days.

k82MjUl9a5I

vqhKBCG8EKY

Of course there are epic moments, such as Take A Bow and Knights Of Cydonia, but the difference between old and new Hysteria got my attention.

Archived