Muse peaked at Absolution?

Novus Dies

Hmm. I'm gunna have to go:

The Resistance (best)

Absolution

Origin of Symmetry/Black Holes

Showbiz

Showbiz is a great album, but it is weaker than the rest, with less awesome Muse moments. Still great though.

OoS's first 3/4 (until Screenager) is completely epic, awesome riffy song after awesome riffy song. Screenager and Feeling Good let the end down slightly. Personally I think it's an awesome album, but not quite as mindblowing as everyone else seems to think. Also, an occasional issue for me is the lack of cleanliness in sound quality that's found in later albums. It bugs me.

Absolution, previously my favourite album. It just has so much of everything, and has the musical variation that Showboz and OoS mostly lacked. Being a concept album is also fantastic. Again it lacks a bit (only a bit) at the end with ToaDA and Endlessly.

BH&R: Seeing as I was only introduced to Muse after it's release, I don't have the same 'OMG THEY WERE BETTER LIVE" issues as a lot of others, and I think it's a great album. Slightly weak start, but I do like Supermassive and Starlight, and their popness only takes a little bit away from the rock/Spanish/progness of the rest of the album. It's biggest problem is lack of cohesiveness.

The Resistance: My new favourite album. Every song is awesome and there are no filler tracks. The popness of some songs doesn't leap out at you like in BH&R. And I love Exo.

City Of Delusion, Take A Bow and Map Of The Problematique are A-grade songs.

Assassin was ruined though by cutting all the epic beef out of it, Knights Of Cydonia is just a mess that even live, doesn't sound cohesive at all to me (but then, the riff saves the day) and Hoodoo whilst being a good song, gets nowhere near their previous piano classics like Ruled By Secrecy and Space Dementia.

Also, the production/mastering of the album ruins any dynamisn those songs once had, they all sound so horrifically flat and one-dimensional.

Well... I belive that Assassin is the one song were Dom could finally demonstrate he is a quality drummer... I have just seen some guys say that the only thing about muse they dont like is the drummers skills... and so i show them assassin and they change their opinion.. and i like ruled by a secrecy a lot more than hoodoo... but the latter's live version is as good as space dem...

very simple answer- comparing it with their older stuff it really is dissapointing.. that is for a person who really enjoys their early stuff.

and with OOS goggles on it seems pop-ish.

off topic but i've concluded i don't like stadium rock much :( i dont want muse to be like u2 :'(.. really dont like u2

hope guiding light isn't played often.. or they're no longer gonna be my favourite band.. and that just depresses me so much..

here's hoping for an extra awesome next album.

I REALLY enjoy muses older stuff... I even like their older stuff more than Black Holes and The Resistance... but I dont have a reason to be disappointed out of the two last albums.. if you look at it withouwt the OOS goggles youll be able to notice that they are in fact awsum records... I know we all loved the RAW muse.. but since Abso we have had a far more creative and musically superior and complex band.. and i dont see why being a fr8 live stadium rock band is a bad thing[/i]

City Of Delusion, Take A Bow and Map Of The Problematique are A-grade songs.

Assassin was ruined though by cutting all the epic beef out of it, Knights Of Cydonia is just a mess that even live, doesn't sound cohesive at all to me (but then, the riff saves the day) and Hoodoo whilst being a good song, gets nowhere near their previous piano classics like Ruled By Secrecy and Space Dementia.

Also, the production/mastering of the album ruins any dynamisn those songs once had, they all sound so horrifically flat and one-dimensional.

Yeah, i think the main thing that lets down BHaR is the production. It's got plenty of strong tracks, but the recording let them down. That's not helped by the fact that their live sound was shit during that period aswell...

Yeah, i think the main thing that lets down BHaR is the production. It's got plenty of strong tracks, but the recording let them down. That's not helped by the fact that their live sound was shit during that period aswell...

Correct.

Shite studio sound, shite live sound. Let's hope the massive studio improvement with The Resistance is reflected in their live sound.

At the end of the day, I can understand how Museheads from the very beginning would say how the newer efforts are inferior but the fact is that as a band they have to evolve and cover new ground.

Anyway, I have to say (contrary to many opinions) that one of my favourite albums is BH&R. I think the opening four songs are strong, then it tails off in the middle unfortunately. And yes, the album version of Assassin...why did they change it? My friend showed me the Debase Mason's Grog version and it is so much better, very much like the Muse of old! Exo-Politics and City of Delusion are decent then Knights is the epic crowd-pleasing finale, one of the many great songs!

Anyway, enough ranting! I can't list the albums in any order of greatness because they all have their good songs, epic songs and dodgy songs at the end of the day. Muse still have a lot to offer. Who knows? Maybe their next studio effort will be more of a throwback to the older style now that they have tried the big space-rock-opera with The Resistance.

I know BHAR isn't Muses best album but the way some people talk about the album you'd think it was as shit as the Jonas Brothers.

Hmm. I'm gunna have to go:

The Resistance (best)

Absolution

Origin of Symmetry/Black Holes

Showbiz

Showbiz is a great album, but it is weaker than the rest, with less awesome Muse moments. Still great though.

OoS's first 3/4 (until Screenager) is completely epic, awesome riffy song after awesome riffy song. Screenager and Feeling Good let the end down slightly. Personally I think it's an awesome album, but not quite as mindblowing as everyone else seems to think. Also, an occasional issue for me is the lack of cleanliness in sound quality that's found in later albums. It bugs me.

Absolution, previously my favourite album. It just has so much of everything, and has the musical variation that Showboz and OoS mostly lacked. Being a concept album is also fantastic. Again it lacks a bit (only a bit) at the end with ToaDA and Endlessly.

BH&R: Seeing as I was only introduced to Muse after it's release, I don't have the same 'OMG THEY WERE BETTER LIVE" issues as a lot of others, and I think it's a great album. Slightly weak start, but I do like Supermassive and Starlight, and their popness only takes a little bit away from the rock/Spanish/progness of the rest of the album. It's biggest problem is lack of cohesiveness.

The Resistance: My new favourite album. Every song is awesome and there are no filler tracks. The popness of some songs doesn't leap out at you like in BH&R. And I love Exo.

This sums up my feelings. Although Absolution is still my favourite followed closely by The Resistance.

I know BHAR isn't Muses best album but the way some people talk about the album you'd think it was as shit as the Jonas Brothers.

Nah you expect Jonas Brothers to be dire. My beef with BHaR was that it was 3 years in the making for a subpar album, cut up what was turning into a monster of a song (Assassin) and then ruined the live sound of their previous work to 'fit' with the theme of the album.

I REALLY enjoy muses older stuff... I even like their older stuff more than Black Holes and The Resistance... but I dont have a reason to be disappointed out of the two last albums.. if you look at it withouwt the OOS goggles youll be able to notice that they are in fact awsum records... I know we all loved the RAW muse.. but since Abso we have had a far more creative and musically superior and complex band.. and i dont see why being a fr8 live stadium rock band is a bad thing[/i]

i don't have the goggles on all the time.. say i've not listened to OOS in ages, and i've heard kinda average music all day.. then BHaR sounds just awesome :awesome: but then my ipod'll skip to OOS or something and just... :noey: BHaR is forgotten...

and the reason i dont like stadium rock is it all seems to be so planned and so pressured to be perfect.. with all the awesome bumps smoothed over .. and it just drains creativity.

i'm just gonna give up trying to not sound like a OOS-abso. worshipper.. compare an early performance of plug in baby with one of the ones at wembley stadium.

*moan moan moan*

i shouldn't complain, muse're still better than most things.. just not themselves.

Anyway, enough ranting! I can't list the albums in any order of greatness because they all have their good songs, epic songs and dodgy songs at the end of the day. Muse still have a lot to offer. Who knows? Maybe their next studio effort will be more of a throwback to the older style now that they have tried the big space-rock-opera with The Resistance.

The Resistance isn't space rock opera. Try The Wall, Pink Floyd. If Muse actually did a double concept album like that, I would be :drool: :awesome:

and the reason i dont like stadium rock is it all seems to be so planned and so pressured to be perfect.. with all the awesome bumps smoothed over .. and it just drains creativity.

i'm just gonna give up trying to not sound like a OOS-abso. worshipper.. compare an early performance of plug in baby with one of the ones at wembley stadium.

I've actually always preferred PiB at Wembley to Hullabaloo, especially his tone in the riff.

Don't hurt me. :D

But yeah, It would be nice to see a return of all of the crazy destructiveness of Hullabaloo and Glastonbury era. A spastic section at the end of US would be cool.

The Resistance isn't space rock opera. Try The Wall, Pink Floyd. If Muse actually did a double concept album like that, I would be :drool: :awesome:

I've actually always preferred PiB at Wembley to Hullabaloo, especially his tone in the riff.

Don't hurt me. :D

But yeah, It would be nice to see a return of all of the crazy destructiveness of Hullabaloo and Glastonbury era. A spastic section at the end of US would be cool.

The Wall isn't space rock opera

Nothing is a space rock opera. Just because bands sing about space and have a few synthy bits and a few twiddly solos doesn't mean it's some sort of musical cosmic deliverance.

What if you do all those things and call the song Space Dementia and have videos of the moon crashing into the Earth when you play it live?

Definitely Not!

Aesthetically and especially musically The Resistance is a step up imo. All the far reaching influences, through all different genres and styles, definitely show progression. Not to mention Matts vocals are the best they've ever been

id say muse got the consistency on OoS, the singles from BHAR, the politics in absolution and finding the path forward on the resistance :)

I think the consistancy of OoS is ruined by Screenager and Feeling Good. I think they are both good songs but they feel out of place on the album.

Definitely Not!

Aesthetically and especially musically The Resistance is a step up imo. All the far reaching influences, through all different genres and styles, definitely show progression. Not to mention Matts vocals are the best they've ever been

Yes, and the lack of more rock songs in TR is the only reason it is still on a draw with Origin of Symmetry for best Muse album.

The Resistance's greatest flaw is that it is too short (Yes, I know it is Muse's longest album)

Archived