Muse peaked at Absolution?

Novus Dies

albumratings.jpg

That's my view on how it's gone (excuse to use Word :cool:).

And for some reason there is an extra line above Absolution, it's not meant to be there

I'd probably agree with that. I'm still not sure as to whether I prefer BH&R or TR. BH&R has the better songs on it, but as an album, TR seems to work a lot better.

The Resistance was their least experimental album thus far

Really?

Absolution was the first Muse album I heard, and still definitely my favourite. Every single song on it is, in my opinion, fantastic. The ones that I didn't care for at first have grown on me to the point where it's practically impossible for me to pick favourite and least favourite tracks because they're all so damn brilliant. Not only that, but the flow and atmosphere of the album are excellent; dark and moving without being depressing.

With that being said, I also love Muse's last couple of albums. They're obviously more upbeat and, I suppose, mainstream, but so what? I'm sick of people thinking that that's necessarily a bad thing. You can't expect the guys to remain angsty twenty-somethings forever, can you? Their attitudes and opinions on life and the world around them have obviously changed over the years, and their music naturally reflects this. It happens all the time. Hey, even Radiohead's most recent album was pretty upbeat. As much as I love Absolution, I wouldn't mind if they continued in the direction they're headed in now, just as long as it's interesting (which I know it will be).

Long live Muse.

Videotape. It may not be its meaning, but I heard it said somewhere, and it certainly fits.

To be honest I don't think it's about suicide. Seems more like someone who realises how fleeting life is and wants to preserve the memory of a perfect day so that it won't disappear once he's eventually gone.

They've probably had more disapointed fans since Absolution, but that would have more to do with the increasing number of fans they've had since they first started out.

In terms of musical quality, I think Muse have had 2 peaks with both Origin of Symmetry and Black Holes & Revelations. They're the two most exciting albums they've written. Absolution and The Resistance do very little to expand on the albums they followed, besides sounding more accessable.

This is all opinion, however.

I think The Resistance is the best album yet.

Ehm...yes it was. Basically all of the songs were already around, and some just went straight to the record, not even a re-recording when they were doing the album.

Well not quite. They recorded most of the songs and remixed one or two others (those that had been on the EPs). Others like Sunburn were all new, going from demo (which we've heard) to final track over a year. Others like Escape were rewritten, demoed, and then recorded again.

They did pick the pest songs from the 50 or so they had written for inclusion or other recording (b sides eventually), but it wasn't just a straight compilation of the best.

I think The Resistance is the best album yet.

Well not quite. They recorded most of the songs and remixed one or two others (those that had been on the EPs). Others like Sunburn were all new, going from demo (which we've heard) to final track over a year. Others like Escape were rewritten, demoed, and then recorded again.

They did pick the pest songs from the 50 or so they had written for inclusion or other recording (b sides eventually), but it wasn't just a straight compilation of the best.

Well, Escape, Cave, Showbiz and Overdue were around as demos since 1997, and Muscle Museum, Uno, Unintended and Sober 1998. So I would say that most of the songs were just re-arranged in a bit and then re-recorded for the album. Barely any of the songs on the album was really recorded directly for the album Showbiz. Am I wrong?

That's true that most of them have older origins than Showbiz.

Sunburn was demoed and recorded for the album.

Muscle Museum was remixed from the EP.

Fillip was new.

Falling Down was new.

Cave was re-recorded.

Showbiz was demoed in 1998 with Plug In Baby and recorded new for Showbiz.

Unintended was remixed I think.

Uno was remixed.

Sober was demoed in 1996 and recorded for Showbiz.

Escape was re-demoed and re-recorded.

Overdue was re-recorded.

Hate This and I'll Love You was demoed in 1998 and recorded for Showbiz.

So I think only three tracks were remixed for the album. Three were re-recorded. Three were brand new. Three were demoed before Showbiz.

The rest of the old tracks were recorded as b sides, remixed from older demos (Do We Need This is the only thing released from the late 1998 session, Balloonatic from Newton Abbot demos) or were dropped.

It's a good thing that Plug In Baby waited to become the thing it was in 2001. Not that the old version is bad, and it does let us know what the song is actually about.

To be honest I don't think it's about suicide. Seems more like someone who realises how fleeting life is and wants to preserve the memory of a perfect day so that it won't disappear once he's eventually gone.

I think it's about someone who, one way or the other, will be dead soon, and he's leaving a message for his loved ones (or a loved one) to see when he's gone, on a videotape. I'm just working from my memory of the lyrics though, perhaps I need to reread it though.

They've probably had more disapointed fans since Absolution, but that would have more to do with the increasing number of fans they've had since they first started out.

In terms of musical quality, I think Muse have had 2 peaks with both Origin of Symmetry and Black Holes & Revelations. They're the two most exciting albums they've written. Absolution and The Resistance do very little to expand on the albums they followed, besides sounding more accessable.

This is all opinion, however.

Woah, so I'm not the only one who thinks this! You just wrote it out a lot better than I did :LOL:

This doesn't apply to me. I've only really been listening to Muse since spring 2009' date=' and I got their whole back catalogue at once, with The Resistance a few months later. So, even hearing everything for the first time at the same time, Absolution and OoS still stick out as their best work.[/quote']

Almost identical with me.

Archived