Something Human

Its not a bad song but I'm still gonna have to moan.

I wanted them to do something out of the blue with these new releases because Drones was a let down. They said it would be heavy and it wasn't. But from what I've heard of this apparent "upcoming album" so far has been such a let down as well. I heard out of three songs, one would be heavy. Which one is meant to be heavy? Or did they change their mind?

I still look forward to the new album (as always) but I certainly won't be going to a rip off UK tour. It's going to be full of douche bags. 2nd Law tour was bad enough.

One song was heavy out of the three they had initially recorded. They’ve had several recording sessions since and it’s very likely they still haven’t released the heavy one. They’re not releasing them in order of recording date.

Cool, now I understand why they didn't play it after the Drones movie. :LOL:

The tropical drums and synth lead are blatantly tacked on for pop radio appeal. For all its acoustic guitar and personal touches, it ends up feeling really forced, like Muse still don't understand that they aren't a mainstream pop act.

Will see if it grows on me over time, but so far Dig Down and Thought Contagion are much better.

The video has a Stranger Things influence, so the theme of the videos is... Netflix? Muse are releasing concerts on Netflix confirmed?

For a song called "Something Human" the music sounds more like something plastic and mechanical. Not as dreadful as Dig Down, I guess, but the song breezes by without leaving much of an impression. After a couple minutes, I was ready for the song to be over.

Edited by Nigel_Tufnel

That robotic voice effect on the "something human, humaaan" part doesn't fit to the mood of the rest of the song at all... From gentle acoustic and organic sounds they suddenly shift to artificial sounding effects, it's like I'm listening to e completely different song. It would be a lot better if the chorus sounded closer to the acoustic version.

It definitely leaves something to be desired, but that might be because it makes me expect a chorus as good as A Little Respect, and it just doesn't deliver on that.

Nice soundscape, not terrible lyrics, and it's nice to hear that Muse can still show a LITTLE constraint. It might be very...digitally augmented so to speak, but it's still nice and mellow and doesn't go over the top like every fucking Muse song these past few years.

Oh gawd, every single time, there are bits I like and bits I hate :'(.

If that had just been a straight up acoustic song, with a few of the swirly synthy arpeggios in the chorus, it would have been wonderful.

But the horrendous layers of garbage over the whole thing, especially the vocal fx, just make it almost unlistenable.

Underneath all the crap, there's a half way decent, heartfelt song there. Even with the typically jarring and shonky lyrics.

Tbh, Muse have written one exceptional dark electro-pop-synth-wub-wub song (Dead Inside) and everything else has been degrees of terrible.

Definitely hearing Toto and Erasure.

If that had just been a straight up acoustic song, with a few of the swirly synthy arpeggios in the chorus, it would have been wonderful.

But the horrendous layers of garbage over the whole thing, especially the vocal fx, just make it almost unlistenable.

Underneath all the crap, there's a half way decent, heartfelt song there. Even with the typically jarring and shonky lyrics.

Amen.

Tbh, it would have ended up pretty similar to Shine Acoustic.

Also, everyone saying Muse's previous acoustic work has been great, I'd content it's been great because it was a vessel for Matt's interest in classical guitar and Spanish/Mariachi styles - Muscle Museum alt version, Nature_1, Bedroom Acoustics, Hoodoo (sorta), etc.

I somehow can't see a whole album of 2018 acoustic Muse being quite so nuanced as some of their excellent early acoustic ditties.

Okay my turn for why it’s good:

When we first saw the promo pictures for this ‘era’ I was excited the band might finally pull a Paramore and fully embrace a real pop album. Dig Down and Thought Contagion disappointed me in that sense, moreso than quality, ‘cos they just felt like retreads of past Muse stuff. I can’t compare this to any past songs. Maybe FAWY with the percussion and acoustic in the verses? but that’s a light one, and you’ve got the electronic elements on top of it. The synth solo especially is something I’ve wanted to hear from Muse for ages and hear it is. Some of the vocals are a bit cringe and the lyrics are gack, but they have been for years so fuck it. It’s pop, it’s fresh, it’s got some reasonably catchy bits and it’s got a mad synth solo.

I’m excited to see it live ‘cos, again, I’ve not seen them do owt like this. Will be interesting to see which versions they perform or switch between though, if they do at all.

Okay my turn for why it’s good:

When we first saw the promo pictures for this ‘era’ I was excited the band might finally pull a Paramore and fully embrace a real pop album. Dig Down and Thought Contagion disappointed me in that sense, moreso than quality, ‘cos they just felt like retreads of past Muse stuff. I can’t compare this to any past songs. Maybe FAWY with the percussion and acoustic in the verses? but that’s a light one, and you’ve got the electronic elements on top of it. The synth solo especially is something I’ve wanted to hear from Muse for ages and hear it is. Some of the vocals are a bit cringe and the lyrics are gack, but they have been for years so fuck it. It’s pop, it’s fresh, it’s got some reasonably catchy bits and it’s got a mad synth solo.

I’m excited to see it live ‘cos, again, I’ve not seen them do owt like this. Will be interesting to see which versions they perform or switch between though, if they do at all.

Man, I wish Muse could write a pop song as good as Paramore.

Man, I wish Muse could write a pop song as good as Paramore.

I think Paramore can get away with doing synthpop because Hayley's voice has always been a driving factor in the music. Matt has never been as much of a lead vocalist, there are often long stretches of time during Muse songs before his voice comes in, so it's jarring to hear a song where Matt is doing most of the work and the rhythm section is potentially absent.

This really sounds like it belongs on Matt's solo album.