Something Human

I think Paramore can get away with doing synthpop because Hayley's voice has always been a driving factor in the music. Matt has never been as much of a lead vocalist, there are often long stretches of time during Muse songs before his voice comes in, so it's jarring to hear a song where Matt is doing most of the work and the rhythm section is potentially absent.

This really sounds like it belongs on Matt's solo album.

LOL, he's only the best lead rock vocalist in the last 20 years.

Yeah remember when they used to drop face-melting singles like 'Stockholm Syndrome' or 'Map of the Problematique'?

I 'member.

You mean like Reapers, Psycho and The Handler?

Fuuuuuck man those were the days

LOL, he's only the best lead rock vocalist in the last 20 years.

Not what I said. Matt will often just step away from the microphone and doodle on guitar/piano. On the rare occasions where he's sitting at the microphone for most of the song (Madness), Dom and Chris are usually playing prominent roles as well.

Here, the drums might as well be a loop, and where even is Chris?

Love how quickly everyone's turned against this song. The fact that the acoustic version will be released as well just makes me even happier.

I'll defend SH more than I defend Blackout to my friends.

I mean, a lot of people did say they expected to not like the final version as much as the acoustic preview.

Edited by Jobby

Not a big fan, still, I think it's an OK song, better than I thought. Pretty much the same feelings I had with Thought Contagion, except I think this one is better. I enjoy that the song is less OTT than the stuff the band usually does :LOL: .

Still, I don't want to be negative about the new album, but, 2 OK songs and one dreadful is not a stellar record.

Edited by topo_musero

Part of me is tempted to think the acoustic version Matt did live on Instagram was better, although I can appreciate the layering that's gone into it. Lots of neat little sonic work going down.

I do find it promising enough that we're getting full acoustic versions.

This is the first time I've been on since drones came out but I go on muse Reddit every day. It makes me sad to think there might be some people still lurking here thinking they are the last few left when the chat has just moved elsewhere lol

Socail media---the demise of the board. :( So glad to see threads coming back form the depths again.

Anyway on topic so I don't get bumped, I loved it, cheesy yes, smushy, yes, tingles, yup. Loving the growth and change. Yeah old stuff was good but so was living with your mum, things change, people and bands evole and I'm still on this bus.

I love it.

I love the video (I loved the Panic Station video, and this could have easily been way worse).

Something Human

Thought Contagion

Dig Down (I actually quite enjoyed it at first, but nothing has brought be back to it since TC came out).

I also love the production. That plus the first part of the video and for whatever reason I'm getting Tron vibes, which I very much enjoy.

Can I just say this is an especially well written and constructed song on Matt's part? It is. And the acoustic pattern he uses may be very simple, but also very effective. I love the big organ sounds on the chorus too. They lend it grandiosity, but they somehow show a lot of restraint, especially by Muse standards. I mean, this is an excellent little acoustic pop song. Not quite as perfect as Madness or Starlight, but a very big step back towards them after Dig Down.

I am hype for the album now.

Well that was shit. This album is going to be absolutely horrible.

Muse meets Mumford and Sons, what a load of wank. Almost embarrassed to listen to this song by myself to be honest.

To me it sounds a lot more like Muse meets Imagine Dragons. Mumford and Sons would warrant far bigger harmonies and an altogether different tone to the song.