Something Human

Really? I didn't get Imagine Dragons vibes from TC at all.

The huge drum sound over the big unison chants in the chorus. That doesn't warrant even a little comparison?

I know that's more of a modern radio-hit feature than just one band now but still.

If I had randomly heard this song on the radio, I would have dismissed it out of hand and changed the station. Knowing that it's new Muse, I decided to give it another listen. (Or another listen and a half to be totally accurate.) I surely liked it less the second time. This song literally induced a sense of queasiness in my gut as if I was trying to choke down some bad sushi. Aftermath on calypso steroids. Admittedly, the synth solo is kinda cool. Based on DD, TC and SH, I'm wondering if I'll be able to get through the upcoming album in one sitting. This stuff is not my cup of tea.

Edited by Nigel_Tufnel

The huge drum sound over the big unison chants in the chorus. That doesn't warrant even a little comparison?

I know that's more of a modern radio-hit feature than just one band now but still.

Those read more as "hey we went on tour with 30STM and this is what they sound like and we want to sound that way too." But I can see where you're coming from now.

Love the little organ sound before synth solo. I just don't like acoustic guitar strumming. And that layered vocals.

For me :

Thought Contagion

Something Human

Dig Down

Still thinking Dig Down was the biggest mistake they ever made.

I'm curious where SH is placed during live show... Madness's replacement to reduce vocal tiredness?

Edited by Odie

This does not sound like MUSE… This sounds like teeny bopper pop music. I don’t like it.

Check out the comments from the Facebook post… Many, many fans say they hope the album it’s not like this.

Rip Muse , terrible single , millenial song!! Wtf!!!!

Sad to see Muse trying to appeal to the lowest common denominator of modern pop music. Radiohead goes in the other direction, making their music even more complex and inaccessible.
If you think Radiohead are actively going for inaccessibility, you’re pretentiously mistaken.

If you think Radiohead are actively going for inaccessibility, you’re pretentiously mistaken.

Well producing virtually every song in an odd time signature puts it out of reach for mainstream listeners. Not that it's a bad thing. I like that Radiohead is virtually 'cult' in this modern pop nightmare landscape.

While not entirely that whole switch from Kid A was a bit rebellious in itself in regards to what was the popular music of the time, and they've had that experimental influence in varying degrees since. However...

Well producing virtually every song in an odd time signature puts it out of reach for mainstream listeners. Not that it's a bad thing. I like that Radiohead is virtually 'cult' in this modern pop nightmare landscape.

Daydreaming from their latest album has 41 million YouTube views they regularly sell out large venues around the world and they have won three Grammys.

hahahahahaha this thread is so formulaic.

NEW MUSE SONG!

it's generic pop not rock!!!! ✓

it's for young people ✓

it's dad rock ✓

rip muse ✓

what would radiohead do ✓

trying to be coldplay ✓

argument about pop/rock/pretentiousness ✓

While not entirely that whole switch from Kid A was a bit rebellious in itself in regards to what was the popular music of the time, and they've had that experimental influence in varying degrees since. However...

Daydreaming from their latest album has 41 million YouTube views they regularly sell out large venues around the world and they have won three Grammys.

41 million in an environment where Justin Bieber gets 410 million. We're talking an order of magnitude difference and Radiohead is arguably the greatest band since The Beatles.

Love the little organ sound before synth solo. I just don't like acoustic guitar strumming. And that layered vocals.

For me :

Thought Contagion

Something Human

Dig Down

Still thinking Dig Down was the biggest mistake they ever made.

I'm curious where SH is placed during live show... Madness's prelude?

Fixed, sadly

It's kind of better that Muse are less popular because you have an actual dedicated fan base rather than idiotic mainstream teenagers (referring to Bieber and chart artists).

Whoa, slow the horses down, you too. Let's not stigmatize people in their wholeness just because of what they like to listen to.

I say this because there are a lot of mainstream artists that, yes, they have huuuge followings but actually have an incredible lot of "sane" fans. One example can be taken from Beyoncé: once, in my FB homepage, I strangely got a notification from an Italian fan page, and curious as I am I decided to get look at it. I was taken aback: there were a lot of people that actually criticised her work in a constructive way and seemed to know a good bunch of things about music. That personally teached me a lot.

41 million in an environment where Justin Bieber gets 410 million. We're talking an order of magnitude difference and Radiohead is arguably the greatest band since The Beatles.

41 million is still quite a fuckton of views in the great scale of things. That's a number comparable to the amount of inhabitants of a nation like Spain.

Also, if you want to brag about Radiohead being the best band since The Beatles just to feel as a better musical listener than us, just cut it out.

Edited by MartianSpaghettiRider

hahahahahaha this thread is so formulaic.

NEW MUSE SONG!

it's generic pop not rock!!!! ✓

it's for young people ✓

it's dad rock ✓

rip muse ✓

what would radiohead do ✓

trying to be coldplay ✓

argument about pop/rock/pretentiousness ✓

We just need someone to announce they're done with Muse and leaving.

I really hope Muse isn't consciously trying to become bigger and more mainstream, and instead is just making this stuff for the enjoyment of it.

If they are deliberately trying to go chart-friendly, it's sad because they evidently lack the self-awareness (or awareness of anything really) to realise that they're never going to succeed, because the songs are too weak and unoriginal, and because it sort of feels uncomfortable to hear this music coming from the same guys who did Hysteria and SS. It turns off their old fans and doesn't bring in that many new ones, because there are a million other artists out there who do this stuff better than they do.

I'm still less bothered by this track than TC though, because TC really demonstrated how ghastly their vision of their own younger selves is (Fury 2.0, fucking hell), and how if we asked for another album of "heavy Muse", we'd get this hollow caricature of their Abso days, repetitive and devoid of freshness