Something Human

I never thought about a mention of my long-time favourite band Simply Red here :p:eek: but I can't hear a similarity...

It reminds me of 80's music, for some reason "Take my breath away" by Berlin, from the movie Top Gun. don't ask me why...

Matt posted a video on Instagram of him recording the first verse and chorus.

Whoever suspected it would be acoustic was right. It's a brand new acoustic guitar as well, not the one he used for UD last year.

From what I've heard so far, I actually really like the song - it kind of reminds me of Falling Down from Showbiz, probably mostly due to the use of numbers like "1000" and "500". Though I have a feeling my liking of the song will become an unpopular opinion.

Worth noting, he also states Something Human was the first song written "after the Drones tour", presumably meaning the first written on the new album.

That’s the cutest video of Matt you’re ever gonna see.

Song’s alright, defo seems like a layover from Drones lyrically (which is....kinda a shame tbh :chuckle:). I wouldn’t draw much from it sonically ‘cos the studio version clearly has a lot more going on but it seems refreshing in style at least. Couldn’t compare what we’ve just heard to any past Muse song.

That¡¯s the cutest video of Matt you¡¯re ever gonna see.

Song¡¯s alright, defo seems like a layover from Drones lyrically (which is....kinda a shame tbh :chuckle:). I wouldn¡¯t draw much from it sonically ¡®cos the studio version clearly has a lot more going on but it seems refreshing in style at least. Couldn¡¯t compare what we¡¯ve just heard to any past Muse song.

The teaser deceived me, I'll admit that. Now that I've listened to this preview, though, I think it could be compared indeed to some past compositions: to be more precise, it sounds to me like a more uplifting and brighter version of Falling Down (they're even in the same key, if I'm not mistaken).

The teaser deceived me, I'll admit that. Now that I've listened to this preview, though, I think it could be compared indeed to some past compositions: to be more precise, it sounds to me like a more uplifting and brighter version of Falling Down (they're even in the same key, if I'm not mistaken).

Your ear for comparisons is....interesting :chuckle: Nah, they’re in the same key but that’s about it. Falling Down is vvvvv much a blues song through and through, totally different planet to something like this.

Yea that's exactly what I said! I'm glad someone hears it as well!

Additionally, the use of numbers like "1000" and "500" in the chorus reminds me of the infamous "5000 houses burning down, no one is gonna save this town".

Gotta bring this up again though due to the use of an acoustic, chances of a CoD return next year? And at a push, the aforementioned Falling Down too?

Probably. Los Angeles area code if it's an American number.

Called the number, robot siri-type voice reading what must be the lyrics to Something Human.

Pretty standard Muse love song lyrics, but gave me major Starlight vibes and that was welcome.

I need something human, human human is def the chorus.

Holy shit as if I actually got one of these things right for once

I fear whatever the studio version ends up being, I am going to prefer Matt's acoustic version.

Same! But in general, I thought this was pretty good. Ive been pessimistic but this album might have some surprises.

I thought my opinion on Something Human was going to be another uncommon one, but I'm glad to see most people agree with me.

I think this song is beautiful. I love the acoustic version. It's the way how Matt just plays it so 'gently' with such a soft voice. I love it, it throws me back to Showbiz (sorry for continuously bringing that reference up :LOL: )

I am very optimistic about the rest of this album now. I get that all the songs are likely to be different, but this song proves a risk like that pays off extremely well.

Is the version from the sample the actual release and the acoustic is the live one? I hope the acoustic one is released as a studio recording so badly, it's just absolutely amazing.

Sample is the studio version. This acoustic thing is just to create a little hype around the tune and finally fulfill the bringing out the acoustic decade long prophecy.

Doubt we'll ever hear him have a go at it acoustically again though. Which is a shame, a full version would be nice

Awww. A much more pleasant way of teasing a new release than weird pictures of 80s cars, if you ask me.

I'm having a hard time envisioning (is there an audio equivalent of that word?) what the complete thing will sound like, but this was quite nice.

I like it as well, I think, because we have indeed been waiting for something human from Muse for a while. Something a little more intimate, heartfelt and less forced and artificial. But that may just be me.