Something Human

I'm actually just mainly bothered by the vocal delivery, particularly in the first verse.

"My circuits have bloooooooooownUGH, I know it's self impooooosedUH"

He has this very annoying almost sigh at the end of every line. Like, similar to how male voice-overs talk in movie trailers.

I'm actually just mainly bothered by the vocal delivery, particularly in the first verse.

"My circuits have bloooooooooownUGH, I know it's self impooooosedUH"

He has this very annoying almost sigh at the end of every line. Like, similar to how male voice-overs talk in movie trailers.

Congratulations. You can now never unhear Matt's breathing ;)

Congratulations. You can now never unhear Matt's breathing ;)

It's not the same as the typical 'HEUUHHHGHG' breath-in that you heard mainly on previous albums. That never bothered me. It's this overly dramatic post-sentence exhale (usually accompanied by a gliding descend of the vocal pitch) that just makes me cringe uncontrollably. Fortunately he doesn't do it on all songs (I love how he sings on The Void for example).

I have sighed as much as anyone over Muse's corn and cheese songs in the past. But I'm just fine with this one. It's pretty sharp and poppy and doesn't outstay its welcome. It's not much more than decent though.

I've warmed up to it a lot, too, and now I like it a lot.

But the acoustic version takes the cake: that final chorus with the theremin makes me sigh (lol) with melancholic satisfaction.

It makes me picture an alien sitting alone on a Mars plateau and strumming his guitar, while he watches the sunset.