Why do people either love the Resistance or hate it.

nixter

I love TR and I do think it's got some amazing stuff. I still remember how it felt when I listened to MK Ultra and IBTY for the very first time :awesome:

I think the problem is that TR didn't translate live as well as the other albums and that ended up affecting people's opinions on the whole: songs, album, tour, etc.

It's my favourite Muse album.

I sometimes wonder if Niall has listened to more than one Muse album.

Anyways, I actually don't think it's a bad album but I definitely don't think it is my favourite. As for why I really have no idea. A reason why some people dislike it is because they found it to be way too similar to things they have done in the past.

I don't know... It was exciting in the beginning, but the tour with the tediously consistent setlists kinda ruined its reputation for some fans, me thinks. It's a good album, nothing more than that now. Also, most of the songs today sound lazy and seem to lack truthfulness.

I agree that some TR songs sounded somewhat... less sincere.

However, I still don't understand the setlist thing. Can of worms, I know.

But, seriously, do people really get to see that many shows per tour that it's that big of a deal?

I'm totally jealous, if that's the case. I wouldn't complain about it, honest. :'(

I saw them 3 times that tour, so a few times but not as many as some people. I'll just say it was disappointing as someone who followed the gigs to pretty much know exactly what you were going to get. And even when actually seeing the songs for the first time a lot of times during the gig I could get the feeling everything was just really rehearses and repeated. Not to say they're not as production heavy this tour, but it seem they're a bit more loosened up from what I've seen.

The only songs I really have beef with are Resistance (which is bland) and Guiding Light (which should never have made it into the studio).

Uprising and MK Ultra are two of Muse's greatest songs to date, both utterly immense live too.

The studio version of UD is brilliant but it just doesn't work live for me. USoE and US are solid, Muse-by-numbers songs and IBTY is one of the most fun songs the band have done.

Exogenesis feels a bit like an opportunity missed to me, but it is nonetheless spectacular. Redemption is weepy brilliance.

It's a good album, but it lacks any truly significant highs.

The only songs I really have beef with are Resistance (which is bland) and Guiding Light (which should never have made it into the studio).

Uprising and MK Ultra are two of Muse's greatest songs to date, both utterly immense live too.

The studio version of UD is brilliant but it just doesn't work live for me. USoE and US are solid, Muse-by-numbers songs and IBTY is one of the most fun songs the band have done.

Exogenesis feels a bit like an opportunity missed to me, but it is nonetheless spectacular. Redemption is weepy brilliance.

This is pretty much how I feel about it.

I dont get the love that Uprising gets for Its live version. Its just as bland live as it is on the album. I even had more fun during UD when it wasplayed live

I agree completely, except Exogenesis is one of my favourite moments, it's a good album overall really, If you're looking at a good/bad song ratio. I find it's hard to find a middle ground with this album really

For me it's better than anything that came before (and they're all amazing). There is no fact that says The Resistance is a bad album, nor any song on it, even though a lot of people seem to think that way here. Want to add to this that I've loved Guiding Light since I heard those thundering drumstrokes for the first time.

At times I prefer it to Absolution, for me those two albums are joint in my ranking, but have Origin, Black Holes and T2L above them with Showbiz bottom (Although I still think there are some cracking tracks on there).

What really ruined The Resistance was the production - I know they had this whole idea of if it was fun, let's do it - they did this on previous albums but when Leckie and Costey produced the albums with them they made the fun work and kept everything cohesive too.

Live the tracks are beasting - Even Guiding Light was kind of enjoyable but admmitedly that tour wasn't great, it was brilliant seeing Cave and MK Ultra live but we all knew they were coming, even at Wembley Bliss, Citizen Erased MK Ultra were nice but had been played regularly enough recently, as with Take A Bow from the last tour and Ruled By Secrecy felt like the only real surprise.

Basically this :awesome:

Archived