Why do people either love the Resistance or hate it.

nixter

My attitude towards TR is kind of vague. I was hugely disappointed when it came out, however liked some tracks...lately I've been going back to it and it's not a bad album. Many of the tracks ARE good. Uprising, UD, US, Exogenesis, IBTY...USoE and MKUltra are just okay for me, the only clear duds are GL and Resistance. It's hard to explain but the album as a whole just somehow lacks that "x-factor" that makes it extra-special, if that makes sense.

My attitude towards TR is kind of vague. I was hugely disappointed when it came out, however liked some tracks...lately I've been going back to it and it's not a bad album. Many of the tracks ARE good. Uprising, UD, US, Exogenesis, IBTY...USoE and MKUltra are just okay for me, the only clear duds are GL and Resistance. It's hard to explain but the album as a whole just somehow lacks that "x-factor" that makes it extra-special, if that makes sense.
It lacks inspiration and energy imo. Feels like a very unemotional album. The tracks might be good but they just feel so...lifeless.

Here's what I think of the album

Uprising is meh,

Resistance is shit,

UD is meh (I love Chris' vocals near the end),

Eurasia is meh,

GL is shit,

Unnatural is alright,

MK Ultra is awesome,

IBTY is good,

Exo is amazing.

It feels a lot more like an album to me though, whereas Showbiz just feels like a collection of songs in a not so great order.

It lacks inspiration and energy imo. Feels like a very unemotional album. The tracks might be good but they just feel so...lifeless.

Could be that. I mean, UD for example is a song about love/sex but feels very cold and distant. It's a great track and I love the production on it, but that sort of coldness replicated all through the album starts to seep through. I think Exogenesis is full of emotion, though, but then again it is the heart of the album.

I think there has been an issue with Muse-of-late with some lack of emotion. I mean, many of their critics/"haters" tend to cite a lack of heart and soul as one of the reasons they dislike the band. In a way I get it. Often even many of the emotional tracks are performed with focus on technical brilliancy and showmanship (Stockholm Syndrome comes to mind) that there is an emotional gap sometimes to be felt. That is one reason I'm such a champion of tracks like Falling Down being a part of the set list, they feel more humane.

I think there has been an issue with Muse-of-late with some lack of emotion. I mean, many of their critics/"haters" tend to cite a lack of heart and soul as one of the reasons they dislike the band. In a way I get it. Often even many of the emotional tracks are performed with focus on technical brilliancy and showmanship (Stockholm Syndrome comes to mind) that there is an emotional gap sometimes to be felt. That is one reason I'm such a champion of tracks like Falling Down being a part of the set list, they feel more humane.

I feel lack of emotion only in The Resistance though.

Archived