Why do people either love the Resistance or hate it.

nixter

Been thinking about this question myself today. TR was the first Muse album that I properly experienced as I only really got into them properly when it was in the process of being released.

I'm a huge fan of bands like Led Zep, White Stripes and most of all QOTSA. So the music I listen to tends to go through phases. For the longest time I've been hooked on QOTSA and quite recently I've noticed a subtle change where I have been starting to listen to more Muse again. I sat and listened to Absolution yesterday and though wow I've missed this style of music, missed Matts voice/vocal delivery etc.

Today though I have been listening to The Resistance and I can't help but think that it's absolutely brilliant. The production is outstanding, the songs are huge and in my personal opinion some of the lyrics are really good. I personally don't think Unnatural Selection gets enough love either tbh. That's always been one of my personal favourite Muse songs and I'd say was the one when TR came out made me sit up and say "woah what that!"

Then you have things like Exo, which is truly exceptional music if you ask me.

The Resistance is a solid 8/9 out of 10 album in my opinion. It's only bettered by OoS, Absolution and BHaR.

Despite not really having much love for TR now, the release was great.

I was in France on a summer holiday when they Eurasia hunt started, getting a new piece every couple of days.

Then there were the Teignmouth gigs where I heard some of the songs for the first time, remembering Unnatural Selection was a monster then.

I also still love the towers arena gig set up, I thought that was immensely cool - even with the bullshit reason it made the sets more rigid which is nonsense (Turin 2009 and Brisbane 2010, eh?)

I get the feeling I probably enjoy TR more you do, but I wholy agree with the rest of your post. TR was the first album cycle I was a part of (only having found about Muse in 2008, which was a great year for the band). It was incredibly exciting with all that was going on, the Teignmouth gig was great, I remember being hooked to that rendition of Cave for ages. And even though the band got a lot of flack, I really enjoyed the TR tour gig I attended. The tower setup was really, really captivating to me. I recall being absolutely mesmerized by the visuals during Exogenesis. It really blew away teenage me :LOL:

• 2 weeks later...

Personally, I neither hate it or love it, but I reckon I understand why people'd sensationalize their hate for it – it had IBTY (the most underestimated song because of how "different" it sounds in comparison to Muse's other songs) and Guiding Light (I loved it despite how "trashy" it sounds). Personally, I'm actually more indifferent towards Undisclosed Desires and Unnatural Selection.

Honestly, I have to say, I both love and hate it. Love it for how great the composition, flow and the feeling of some songs are(MK, US, IBTY, Uprising) but at the same time hate it, because it's booooooriiiiing. The sounds are bland, the mixing is bland, Matt's voice is bland, the bass is bland and the drums are bland.

It's one of those albums where bad mixing, track listing and production killed an otherwise good album.

Abso is kinda that, too. The songs are so much better though, I can't really say it's as badly effected by it

I can. Abso's bad production, mixing, and track listing really dismisses my enjoyment of its incredible songs.

That said, it's still a bunch of incredible Muse songs, and I still love it, just not as much as TR.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Why is everyone so negative on music forums?? :(

I love literally all of Muse. Some more than others ofc but any songs sounds great simply because Matt's voice is amazing.

Personally I think that The Resistance is up there with all of their other masterpiece albums (which is ALL OF THEM :D). The 2nd Law is my least favorite of the albums however that's probably because whenever I listen to it, it reminds me of the time when I saw the Isolated System music video, which traumatized me for months (I was 11 years old there :$). Still love the album though... but I had to remove the last 2 songs... I can never listen to them again... :LOL:

Why is everyone so negative on music forums?? :(

I mean, before you bumped this and the Exo-Politics thread, the only S&R threads posted in over this month are based on positive subjects (other than the odd discussion thread for a new song that ended up being poorly received in Dig Down). As for the Gigs & Tours section...I think you deserve a round of applause if you find much to be positive about on that front atm :chuckle:

(I was 11 years old there :$)

tumblr_oimfahh5cF1r1mnl6o1_500.gif

• 2 weeks later...

"I love everything because it's Muse!" is hero worship, and a bit concerning when you're not 10 anymore.

:LOL: I would consider it "hero worship" if I loved all of their songs just for the sake of it... in this case I genuinely enjoy basically all of what they've made.

I like them even more than I used to TBH, since as an 11 year old I never was able to appreciate the Exogenesis Symphony, but now I've realized how great it is.

Archived