Why do people either love the Resistance or hate it.

nixter

The Resistance has Exogenesis. Saying you hate TR means you also hate Exogenesis. Hating Exogenesis makes you look stupid.

No you look stupid.

Led Zeppelin IV has Stairway on it. It's one of my least favourite Zeppelin albums but I still love 2 or 3 songs on it.

Exogenesis Pt 1 was instantly my favourite and probably still is, but the other 2 are much closer now.

It just seems like a very bland album, especially compared to their earlier material. Uprising is a prime example of this; it's just a really uninteresting song, no matter how much it tries not to be. I've never been a huge fan of the symphony (except part 1), and I've never liked Guiding Light or Undisclosed Desires much. MK Ultra is unintentionally hilarious. I love the other 3 songs though; especially Resistance.

So yeah, it's their worst album by quite a way; though I don't hate it. The 2nd Law is waaaaaay better.

Uprising (...) a really uninteresting song

I've never been a huge fan of the symphony (except part 1)

MK Ultra is unintentionally hilarious.

I love the other 3 songs though; especially Resistance

that's just... not how it should be. it's really not.

The Resistance could have been a very clever marketing ploy... its tie in with Twilight brought in a few extra 12 year olds and unenlightened Americans into the fold - and as an album it is generally perceived (rightly) as the weakest from Muse by some distance . Thereby paving the way for an experimental and (in my opinion) pretty average 2nd Law to be accepted a lot more readily.. "Ah well it's better than the Resistance"

I don't mind them releasing the occasional sub standard track/album that's all part of their evolution.But I do mind when they play too much of the 'average' stuff at gigs. They must know that it gets a less enthusiastic reaction.

The Resistance could have been a very clever marketing ploy... its tie in with Twilight brought in a few extra 12 year olds and unenlightened Americans into the fold - and as an album it is generally perceived (rightly) as the weakest from Muse by some distance . Thereby paving the way for an experimental and (in my opinion) pretty average 2nd Law to be accepted a lot more readily.. "Ah well it's better than the Resistance"

I don't mind them releasing the occasional sub standard track/album that's all part of their evolution.But I do mind when they play too much of the 'average' stuff at gigs. They must know that it gets a less enthusiastic reaction.

I disagree about The Resistance drawing in more "unenlightened Americans". If that were true, The 2nd Law should have sold more copies in its first week than The Resistance, which it didn't.

Perhaps how people feel about The Resistance is representative of how people feel about the band in general? From my experience, people either absolutely adore them or cannot stand them. There isn't too much middle ground.

I still love The Resistance.

As the first full Muse album I heard and the first tour I went to, The Resistance will always have a special place in my heart.

I don't think it's as bad as general fan opinion says it is. This album has Uprising, Resistance, Eurasia, MK Ultra and the Exogenesis Symphony, which I think are all incredible songs. Unnatural Selection was great live too.

Whilst I am a fan of Guiding Light, I can see where people are coming from with their dislike. I'm not too keen on IBTY at times. But those are the only negatives really, and two dud tracks on an album isn't too bad. Undisclosed Desires isn't bad, it's just different - much like Panic Station, just not as good.

I'd say TR gets a lot of unfair hate for being a slightly different Muse album, a lot of people seem to think that different = bad, or a slightly softer sound = bad when that is not the case. There are some gems here.

That is my personal viewpoint. I'm sure someone will swoop in shortly to tell me I am wrong. :LOL:

Aside from UD and IBTY which are my favourites on the album, it's not that different imo. US, Uprising and MK Ultra are all classic Muse. And the symphony is just what they've done before but more extreme(in a way).

The problem with it for me is that it ISN'T different, it's all very standard Muse and very few tracks stand out.

I love TR. it's an amazing album. perhaps replace teh fakin synth with an orchestra in GL, Make Resistance bigger and you have a fucking amazing album.

there would still be UD

but Uprising, USOE, Unnatural Selection, MK Ultra, IBTY and Exogenesis are all really good, and Resistance is also quite interesting. I just have my problems with UD, and GL simply isn't a good song by Muse standards

Archived