Rate Black Holes and Revelations

Jimmyneutron

How would you rate Black Holes and Revelations?  

489 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate Black Holes and Revelations?

• 1 Star
    • 2 Stars
    • 3 Stars
    • 4 Stars
    • 5 Stars

• 1 year later...
Listening through at the moment. Probably one of my favourite Muse albums. No it's not perfect but it's still awesome and the first album I ever got properly into.

Second Muse album I heard, but I still love it. Really great songs in there. I never got why it was so hated before TR.

Second Muse album I heard, but I still love it. Really great songs in there. I never got why it was so hated before TR.

I guess I went off it for a bit but I do really love it now. To be honest I think if I had a choice between taking Abso or BH&R I'd take the latter, and I love Absolution. I'm not sure. I feel a little dirty now.

But it's certainly not a bad album

Strangely, as I've grown more keen on this last few months, I've realised how much of a let down TR was in some ways

I guess I went off it for a bit but I do really love it now. To be honest I think if I had a choice between taking Abso or BH&R I'd take the latter, and I love Absolution. I'm not sure. I feel a little dirty now.

That's because it's the right choice.

My second favourite Muse album, I prefer it slightly more than Absolution (come at me). II love the futuristic-y, more electronic sound of it compared to other Muse albums. I love Soldier's Poem, it's just horribly placed on the album which has, unfortunately, given it a bit of a bad rep. The production's pretty shoddy in quite a few places but I don't mind it too much.

Great album with a solid theme in sound that I like, one of my all-time favourites.

In my opinion this is the most consistent Muse album in terms of song quality, with no weak tracks and several classics. A lot of people complain about the flow but I think the juxtapositions between different musical styles are quite effective, and the album is very listenable as a whole. That it doesn't take itself as seriously as previous albums is, in my opinion, a positive: the teen angst on the first three albums gets a little tiring, so the range of moods and emotions on offer here is quite refreshing (and even more so on TR, IMO). However there are flaws: the production is pretty weak, and certain tracks (notably Assassin) lose their edge because of this. Another issue is the lack of surprises within a lot of the songs themselves: the verse-chorus-verse structure that Muse typically adhere to feels particularly limiting here; however the versatility of sounds and genres being explored prevents it from being too samey.

Best songs: Hoodoo, Map of the Problematique, Invincible, Knights of Cydonia

Worst songs: Assassin, Exo-Politics

Rating: 4/5

great album as a whole, even though it sounds pretty weird during a few parts (that's of course a production issue) I love it how Muse tried out different things, and how each song has its unique "face". I'm one of the few who don't give shit about a 'proper flow', and I really couldn't care less if the songs are dealing similar topics or not. I prefer the quality of each song over how much related they are to the others. for this reason, I really don't care if Soldier's Poem "kills the flow" or whatever, it's an awesome song. My favourites on the album are Hoodoo and Take a Bow, both should be considered among Muse's greatest songs ever. worst ones... well, smbh and starlight, obviously, and even those aren't particulary bad, it's just the commercial feel to them that makes them less enjoyable than the others. there are two equally mind-blowing moments on the album: the climax to Take a Bow, and Hoodoo.

4/5 (the effect of starlight and smbh...mostly starlight)

I don't understand the hate for Starlight...It's just as poppy as Resistance or UD. And a lot better.

I think people mean it is the weakest on BHaR, I love it, I think it's one of the best songs on there and (I'm probably gonna get hate for this) led to me buying my first Muse album, once I had brought OOS and Absolution, I instantly began to recognise songs from each album, and I loved them all, brought the Resistance on release day :)

But anyway:

Best moments: How experimental some tracks were (trumpets, etc)

Best tracks: Hoodoo, Starlight, Take a bow, KoC, CoD and Assassin (but only GOBE)

Worst tracks: This was hard - but exo-politics (still love it though!)

5/5 Stars!

4/5, just because Soldier's Poem (would have been a perfect b-side) and Exo-Politics are on there while Easily and Glorious aren't. Otherwise, a 5/5 despite some production flaws.

Best songs: TaB, SBH, MoTP, Assassin, CoD, Hoodoo, KoC. (It's 7 out of 11, lol)

Worst songs: Starlight, Soldier's Poem, Exo-Politics

Archived