Rate Black Holes and Revelations

Jimmyneutron

How would you rate Black Holes and Revelations?  

489 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate Black Holes and Revelations?

• 1 Star
    • 2 Stars
    • 3 Stars
    • 4 Stars
    • 5 Stars

I really don't see how anyone could dislike it. There is only 2 poor songs (Soldier's Poem and Invincible), and one okay one (SMBH). Everything else is excellent IMO.

1. Map of the Problematique

2. City of Delusion

3. Exo-Politics

4. Take A Bow

5. Knights of Cydonia

6. Assassin

7. Starlight

8. Hoodoo

9. Supermassive Black Hole

10. Soldier's Poem

11. Invincible

3 stars

good thing : for the first time, they change a little their kind of music, new sounds. And the use of the trumpets

bad things : popy songs like starlight and his voice... his awful voice and weak verses and chorus like assassin. And why the Grand Omega Bosses Edit version isn't on the album??? a shame ! :mad:

best songs : Supermassive Black Hole ; Hoodoo ; Exo-Politics ; City of Delusion

worst songs : Invincible, Starlight ; Map of the problematique

favorite moments : piano part in Hoodoo :awesome: and chris solo in City of Delusion :happy:

wondering : one day at the radio, i heard an Elvis Presley's song and i was wondering, it makes me think of a song that i know and it was Soldiers Poem. I don't remeber what was the song... but i really think Soldiers Poem is very close to that Elvis song. Am I the only one who knows this similarity?

I'd give it a 4.5, rounding up to 5.

Good things: Every song is completely different and is great in its own way. True, this album is a bit more mainstream than Origin of Symmetry, but it all comes together in a great way.

Bad things: The shortage of awesome riffs.

Best songs: Knights of Cydonia, City of Delusion, Starlight (yes, I said it.)

Worst songs: Assassin

Best moment: The buildup in Take A Bow, pretty much all of Knights of Cydonia. I love that song so much.

lolwut

I don't understand the hate for Starlight...It's just as poppy as Resistance or UD. And a lot better.

If it wasn't for Starlight, I actually wouldn't be the Muse fan I am today. It didn't really get me into Muse as such(That was TiRO), but I loved this song when I was younger and it brings back memories of long road trips, singing along to it in the car :chuckle:

as i already said 4.5 stars... although I'd rate Absolution 5, BH&R is my favorite muse album...

Good Things: The band explored a lot of new sounds, for the first time muse succesfully treated electric elements into concrete sounding songs, Dominic got to show he is a hell of a good drummer in songs like Assassin, KoC and TaB (you read well TaB) and IMO it has a lot more cohesion than The Resistance because of the majority of the songs' momentum and lyrical content... the only songs i find not fitting in BH&R are Starlight which is now a stadium hymn and maybe Soldiers Poem which I do like because of Chris's backing vocals and lyrics... whilst on TR as much as i love these songs individually... Exo-genesis, Undisclosed Desires, IBTY, Guiding Light and USoE have no actual lyrical resemblance (at least its not evident even when i know its all about 1984) I DONT KNOW WHY PEOPLE CLAIM TR IS MUCH MORE COHESIVE WHEN THERES A ROCK RIFF, A CLARINET SOLO AND STRING ARRANGEMENTS WITH FALSETTO ONE AFTER THE OTHER...

Bad Things: Production and the fact that they left out the best version of Assassin (Grand Omega Bosses) and Glorious which IMO would have fitted better than Starlight or SP.. Also that they had other 7 songs written for the album but they ignored them totally and threw them to the garbage (except for soaked)

Best Songs:

Hoodoo: best lyrics ever written by Matt and only pwopa piano song in the album

MoTP: a greatly dinamic song that never actually uses its own main chord

CoD: I used to skip it and never really put attention to the string details, I thought the melody in the chorus was annoying but once i heard the strings in it, the melody quite changed to awesome...

Assassin: Love Dom's snare and matts work on layered vocals

Invincible: I thought it was cheesy at first... but until i saw it live and sang along with other 50 thousand people i understood the song's real meaning.. and the solo made me cry that day

TaB: I'd say it's one of the best songs they've done... It says prog rock all over it, it's awesome and though the lyrics are very simple.. theyre the most agresive and self-convinced and convincing lyrics ive ever heard... THE SONG IS MADE UP OF ONLY THREE CHORDS IN FOUR DIFFERENT SCALES!!

Knights of Cydonia: Also prog and the best ending guitar riff ever :D

Exo-Politics: technically its not the album version which deserves to be named one of the best inside it but... I think they chose the wrong lyrics to this one because there was an early version in 2005 which had different lyrics and was a bit more riffy and i loved that one.. so sad they didnt record it..

SMBH: Sexy and girls like it :D

Worst Songs: They're actually not bad but as I said before i like them

Starlight: Great for stadiums at night

Soldiers Poem: If it was inside a muse acoustic album itd fit perfectly

Favorite moments: "I've had recurring nightmares"... "You'll burn in hell for your sins" and TaB echoes... "Lonelyness be over"... CoD flanger bass interlude buildup.. Invincible solo.. Assassin triplets.. KoC last riff :p

Don't think I ranked the songs before

1. Knights of Cydonia

2. Map of the Problematique

3. Take a Bow

4. Hoodoo

5. City of Delusion

6.. Starlight (don't kill me)

7. Invincible (cheesy, but I actually quite like it)

8. Supermassive Black Hole

9. Assassin (it's quite strange: live, this songs is brilliant, but on the album, it doesn't do much for me. I don't think they recorded it very well)

10. Soldier's Poem (pleasant, but not the certainly not the best track on the album)

11. Exo-Politics (a bit bland, nothing that bad though.)

4 stars. really good album.

Take A Bow 10/10

Starlight 6/10

Supermassive Black Hole 7/10

Map of The Problematique 8/10

Soldier's Poem 6/10

Invincible 7/10

Assassin 7/10

Exo-Politics 7/10

City of Delusion 10/10

Hoodoo 8/10

Knights of Cydonia 10/10

Favorite momenst: TaB, When the "OOOOOHAAAAAH" and big synths kick in(1.40). Also the chorus of CoD and the "NO ONE'S GONNA TAKE ME ALIVE" in KoC.

How would you rate Black Holes and Revelations?

Feel free to give a short review including:

Good things about the album

Bad things about the album

Best track

Worst track

Favourite moment

I think I gave it a 4, but I now have to give it a 5! :D

Good things: I can listen to the hole album without skipping a song.

Bad thing: Can´t think of anything.

Best tracks: City of Delusion, Take a Bow, Assassin, Invincible, KoC, Glorius

Worst track: Soldiers Poem (but I still love it though).

Favourite moment: The guitarr solo in Invincible.

5/5 personally my favoruite muse album, as it was my friat and has a scale and epicness that the previous ones didnt.

Good things about the album: TaB, SMBH, MoTP. SP, Hoodoo and KoC

Bad things about the album: Exopolitics and it lags a bit around tracks 6-9 imo

Best track: MoTP

Worst track: Exo

Favourite moment: the guitar of SMBH and the synths in MoTP

One of my favorite albums to crank up the volume and blast my guts out. This album has an amazing beat that I can dance to and it's one of their riskiest albums but they worked it. I love the blend of guitar heavy and ballads.

The only thing bad about this album is that some of the songs sound a little too the same.

Best Track:Hoodoo

Worst Track:Invincible

Best Moment:The "scream" in Supermassive Black Hole

Good things about the album: the upbeat tempo of most of the songs

Bad things about the album: that people hate smbh because of twilight [they'll deny that though]

Favourite moment: my first view of the knights of cydonia video

1. Knights of Cydonia

2. Supermassive Black Hole

3. Exo Politics

4. Take a Bow

5. Starlight

6. Assasin

7. Map of the Problematique

8. City of Delusion

9. Invincible

10. Hoodoo

11. Soldier's Poem

Glorious would be 3rd if I included it.

5/5

Absolution to me is the end of an era and BH&R the start of a new one. While Absolution works as a whole, this feels to me as more or a collection of songs (which I feel work together). There is also so much variety here and it somehow works. TAB and SP are so different and yet still feel on the right album.

It also marks a new form of strong structure that didn't seem to follow into TR. TAB, MOTP, SP, Hoodoo and KOC don't follow your typical verse-chorus-verse-chorus-solo-chorus found on previous songs. The songs feel like journeys and so does the album although it could have been fined tuned.

Apart from Exo-politics (which I do enjoy but feel wasn't recorded well) there is no real 'filler' and each song follows something different. TAB ends with noise and cuts straight into clean powerful drums and bass, MOTP ends a string of loud and epic songs and goes straight into a short beautiful ballad (which took me some time to appreciate) which follows into Invincible, which ends epically and straight to Assassin (I love the extended version as much, thought not the whine guitar) but i understand having a short 3 minute hard rock song at this point in the album.

This is also Dom's album, every track his drumming is powerful yet tight, leading the song yet never over powering it. The bass and guitar sounds are just right too.

Good things about the album: It feels like an album yet with variety. It's loud, epic, fresh but not different

Bad things about the album: The 2nd half needs to be tighter and its still a collection of songs.

Best track: MOTP

Worst track: Exo-Politics, i love it but it just doesn't fit in the flow

Favourite moment: 'We bleed the same.'

Too much inconsistency in BHaR, and the sound quality was appalling. I only truly appreciated Map of the Problematique when I saw them live last year and it made it onto the setlist.

That being said, you can't get past the fact that it's an awesome song, along with Starlight, Supermassive Black Hole and the ubiquitous Knights of Cydonia (the latter gives me goosebumps every time.) For that, I award the album four stars.

By the way - does anyone else think of the old animation "BraveStarr" whenever they watch the Knights video?!

I don't understand the hate for Starlight...It's just as poppy as Resistance or UD. And a lot better.

If it wasn't for Starlight, I actually wouldn't be the Muse fan I am today. It didn't really get me into Muse as such(That was TiRO), but I loved this song when I was younger and it brings back memories of long road trips, singing along to it in the car :chuckle:

Why do i hate Starlight ? I can't stand of that f***ing poppy piano at the beginning, but i like the end when he sings "i just want you to hoooooooooold". And that's the same with Resitance, why the hell is there a piano in it? It deserves to nothing, and it makes me sick !

And sorry, i think UD is more an interesting song (the voice, and the orchestra + the bass line) than Starlight and Resistance. Just a point of view.

4/5, great songs, horrible flow, some horrible commercial tracks. I don't care if Matt wanted to write a 'simple pop song' in the form of Starlight, it should never have made it onto the album.

Good things: space rock cranked to 11

Bad things: boring pop nonsense

Best song: Knights

Worst song: Starlight

Favourite moment: No one's going to taaaaaaaaake meeeeee aliiiiiiiiiiiive

The album would have been Muse's best ever if they'd done it like this:

1. Take a Bow

2. Map of the Problematique

3. Glorious

4. Soldier's Poem

5. Invincible

6. Easily

7. Assassin (Grand Omega Bosses or Debase Masons Grog version)

8. City of Delusion

9. Hoodoo

10. Knights of Cydonia

Starlight gets the axe, POSSIBLY becomes a B-side, Crying Shame stays were it is, SMBH joins it. Exo-Politics... I like it and all, it's just a bit boring, they needed to do something more to the main 'riff'.

Alas, it was not meant to be. :(

You know how similar Map of the Problematique and City of Delusion are. :rolleyes:

I can't hear any similarities between those two songs. MotP has always been this sort of almost-ambient rock monster. City of Delusion however, has always been extremely different. For one thing it's got trumpets and strings.

I can't hear any similarities between those two songs. MotP has always been this sort of almost-ambient rock monster. City of Delusion however, has always been extremely different. For one thing it's got trumpets and strings.

Oh my god...:facepalm:

Archived