Rate Black Holes and Revelations

Jimmyneutron

How would you rate Black Holes and Revelations?  

489 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate Black Holes and Revelations?

• 1 Star
    • 2 Stars
    • 3 Stars
    • 4 Stars
    • 5 Stars

It's was, until The Resistance was released, Muse's second most crazy album. Although it sounds nothing like Origin of Symmetry, it was a bold and brave step for Muse and the music reflects an almost care-free approach to writing. They didn't care who they'd upset with the material they wrote, as long as they liked it. As a result, we got some very distinctive tracks such as Supermassive Black Hole, Starlight, Map of the Problematique and Knights of Cydonia.

My favourite track from the album has to be Hoodoo. It's comfortably the most dramatic song on the album. My least favourite track is probably Exo-genesis. It's a good sing-along song, but a particularly weak track compared to previous efforts. At least it doesn't sound out of place on this album!

My favourite moment is probably the intro to Knights of Cydonia.

5 Stars

Black Holes and Revelations is no doubt their bravest Album, one that encompassed a number of different genres and takes a notably eastern feel, particularly on tracks such as Invincible, City of Delusion, Hoodoo, and Knights of Cydonia. This album represented a major shift in style and it worked brilliantly. While not being the best flowing album, the sheer variety of sounds made it an album that I could never get bored of, and it features more of my top 10 muse songs than any other album.

Best Track: Knights of Cydonia

Worst Track: Starlight

Favourite Moment: When the riff in Knights of Cydonia kicks in - this blew me away at first.

It's was, until The Resistance was released, Muse's second most crazy album. Although it sounds nothing like Origin of Symmetry, it was a bold and brave step for Muse and the music reflects an almost care-free approach to writing. They didn't care who they'd upset with the material they wrote, as long as they liked it. As a result, we got some very distinctive tracks such as Supermassive Black Hole, Starlight, Map of the Problematique and Knights of Cydonia.

My favourite track from the album has to be Hoodoo. It's comfortably the most dramatic song on the album. My least favourite track is probably Exo-genesis. It's a good sing-along song, but a particularly weak track compared to previous efforts. At least it doesn't sound out of place on this album!

My favourite moment is probably the intro to Knights of Cydonia.

:chuckle: I think you mean Exo-Politics.

5 Stars

Also a big variety, never boring and I still listen to it very often. I love the more "danceable" SMBH, who would have expected them to make such a track? And it became one of my faves, I'd call it a "very sexy song".:LOL: And I also love "Starlight", yes, quite "pop" for Muse but it gets me in a good mood. Then you have the more typical Muse-tracks and then KOC, first I was like :eek::stunned: but then I just started to love it. That's why I love this band, expect the unexpected.

Best Track: City of delusion

Worst Track: Take a bow

Favourite Moment: Knights of Cydonia - the guitars!

Two Stars.

Good: Progression, to some extent.

Bad: Conspiracy, farce and horrendous production/mastering, the butchering of Assassin.

Best Track(s): City Of Delusion, Take A Bow, Map Of The Problematique.

Worst Track(s): The rest of them.

Favourite Moment: Trumpets.

I gave it 5 stars, its my second favourite behind Absolution

Good things about the album:

Theres such a big diversity in sounds in this album. Not a single song sounds the same her and I don't think any of them feels out of place. I like the theme of despair/corruption/conspiracy running through it. The mix of eletronic sounds and productions is what really makes this album for me, some people dislike it because it feels artificial, but I think it sounds amazing, as long as they're able to play it all live (which they can) its okay for me

Bad things about the album:

The only problem I have with this album is that the version of Assassin in here is not as good as the Grand Omega Bosses one.

Best track:

Supermassive Black Hole, Knights of Cydonia, Take a Bow

Worst track:

Soldier's Poem (I dont dislike it, but I find it to be the least interesting one on the album, despite me liking the lyrics)

Favourite moment:

1: "No ones going to take me Alive" bit in Knights of Cydonia followed by the amazing riff

2: The "Take a Bow" and echoes

Black Holes and Revelations is no doubt their bravest Album, one that encompassed a number of different genres and takes a notably eastern feel, particularly on tracks such as Invincible, City of Delusion, Hoodoo, and Knights of Cydonia. This album represented a major shift in style and it worked brilliantly. While not being the best flowing album, the sheer variety of sounds made it an album that I could never get bored of, and it features more of my top 10 muse songs than any other album.

Really? That's true about The Resistance, definitely, but I'd say the tracks you mentioned take a lot more influence from Latin American music.

Aaanyway...

3 STARS

Good things about the album: catchy songs, experimentation with different styles and influences.

Bad things about the album: sometimes a bit too ordinary, particularly noticeable when the album also has crazy stuff like KoC.

Best track: Hoodoo.

Worst track: Starlight.

Favourite moment: guitar solo in Invincible, classical guitar opening of Hoodoo.

3 Stars

Best track: Knights of Cydonia, Supermassive Black Hole

Worst track: A Soldier's Poem

Best moment:

"no ones going to take me alive" and then the amazing guitarplay!

At the gig in Antwerp 2 weeks ago, I think I was going crazy when I heard it live!

Can't get it out of my head! :happy:

3/5

Good things about the album - The introduction, and successful use of, synths for the first real time on their albums. The album also started a new era in sound for Muse in a way (whether it proves to be good is yet to be seen).

Bad things about the album - The poppier tracks are bland, the production irritating and the riffier tracks greatly restricted.

Best track - Map of the Problematique, City of Delusion, Knights of Cydonia, Take a Bow

Worst track - Starlight, Invincible, Exo Politics, Soldier's Poem

Favourite moment - The "bowbowbowbow" loop in TAB, the riff in KOC.

5 Stars

Good things: Has some of Muse's best tracks, and the whole album is so fluent when played in full.

Bad things:Some tracks don't work as well on their own as when they're played in album order.

Best tracks: Map of the Problematique, City of Delusion, Knights of Cydonia

Worst tracks: Soldier's Poem, Invincible

Favourite moment: The intro of MotP :awesome:

4/5 Maybe the most commercial Muse album! (not in a negative way)

Good things about the album: A very charismatic album. Very epic,energetic album but less emotions . A lot of very dancing jumping songs! I like to listen in bad days or to wake up!

Bad things about the album: Less emotions ,

Best track: Invincible so great!!! one of their best song

Worst track: Soldier's Poem I can't bear that song but i tried to love it :D

Favourite moment : I like how they started and ended the album! The first track with Take a bow: a furious song so powerful i like it when Starlight follows. And the wonderful ending with Knights of Cydonia which close the album. Because you just want to listen to it again and again with KOC

4 stars

Good bits: Very brave album and their most progressive to date. The album has a nice flow to it.

Bad bits: Not the best production and the album has a bit of a lull in the middle in my opinion.

Best Song: Take a Bow

Worst Song: Soldier's Poem

Favourite Moment: Ending riff in Knights of Cydonia

I have to say that although I don't think this album is as good as the earlier ones, it has a number of songs which are amazing live!

Best Songs: Supermassive Black Hole, Knights of Cydonia, and Glorious if I can count that!

Worst song: City of Delusion (although I still like it!)

4 stars :)

It's a bit rubbish, really.

2.5, possibly 3

Best: Ummm KoC or CoD... Soldier's Poem?

Worst: Starlight, SMBH, Invincible

Best Moments:

-We bleed the same

-You think you deserve your freedom?

If they'd kept the long version of Assassin and improved Exo-Politics the album would be quite a bit better.

4 stars

Good things about the album:

Very different to their previous albums. Explores new sounds (eg, Starlight, Supermassive Black Hole) and genres.

Bad things about the album:

It doesn't flow very well and seems like a random collection of songs. The transition between Take a Bow and Starlight is particularly bad. Probably their least cohesive album.

Worst track

Exo-Politics

Best tracks

Knights of Cydonia, Hoodoo, Map of the Problematique, Invincible, Supermassive Black Hole, Take a Bow..

Favourite moments:

Favourite moments

First few minutes of Knights of Cydonia, "Tied to a railway", the epicness that is Take a Bow, the intro and chorus of Map of the Problematique, chorus of Starlight, drum fills in Assassin.

3 stars.

its meh. i mean compared to the other albums that is...

i think i worked it out. it's still an epic album, and i love it, but really its not their best... it was a completely new direction for them, and its what brought us to the resistance...

but really it doesn't quite stand up to the resistance...

it was sorta all everywhere, they hadnt mastered that sort of style they were going for COMPLETELY yet... and it was WAY too overproduced... they said it themselves

(now i feel bad for insulting them :( )

don't get me wrong, some of my favourite songs are on that album (MotP, Invincible, lol can't resist it), and there are really amazing song like CoD, and SMBH was just so different and sexy and awesome, there's no real songs i HATE on the album....

starlight and stuff, its all really beautiful and i love it, but i think it was scraping the barrel where muse are concerned. and take a bow, whilst it has that great epic sound, the lyrics are kinda (I LOVE YOU MUSE!) crap. sorry, but they really aren't muse's best. I think thats sorta how the album went throughout most of it. epic sound, kinda simple/ not-as-good-as-other-muse-songs lyrics.

STILL LOVE IT, i mean come one it MYOOZE! but, i can admit that they HAVE done better... and the resistance is much better, but you couldnt have that without BHaR before it.

wow. long pst much? [/rant]

3 Stars

For me, BHAR was some of their most creative work as Musicians. TAB, MOTP, COD. As an album, it just didn't come together for me. I think if you're going to dive into this new creative area the stregnth of the work is going to show compared previous polished work, a lot of these new ideas suffered where traditional songs shined.

Unfortunately a lot of songs in their didn't work for me. Knights is just one big Riff, it works great live, but it is a silly song, Supermassive was their first attempt at doing something slightly different, it just wasn't polished enough for me. Starlight, the sooner I forget that song the better. Yes it's their first attempt at an upbeat song but just screams commercial friendly track. It's nothing risky, it bores me.

One of the things I like about Absolution the most is that it takes you on a journey, the entire album flows from start to finish, it just works and there are no real weak songs on the album. BHAR couldnt be more from that, their is very little that takes you from one song to another.

It's in these respects that Resitance is a much stronger album than BHAR. The new idea's such as Undisclosed and Exogenesis are far stronger better finished pieces of work perhaps from this transition to these new ideas.

Fortunately a lot of these weaker songs have developed over time, even Supermassive has more presence live, but on the album, they struggle to really make their imapct.

It's for these reasons I can only give it a 3.

Archived