Rate Black Holes and Revelations

Jimmyneutron

How would you rate Black Holes and Revelations?  

489 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate Black Holes and Revelations?

• 1 Star
    • 2 Stars
    • 3 Stars
    • 4 Stars
    • 5 Stars

• 3 weeks later...

I'm just listening to the lossless instrumental version of it now. It's amazing. It's weird how you notice new things about an album without the vocals in there, even if it's really old.

I just wish Assassin hadn't been ruined by Muse trying to be Lightening Bolt.

I'm just listening to the lossless instrumental version of it now. It's amazing. It's weird how you notice new things about an album without the vocals in there, even if it's really old.

There's lossless instrumentals?

i second that. minus assassin.

personally i think this album alone is better than the resistance. part of that is because instrumentals sound a bit better. much better. i dont know i cant choose.

• 1 month later...
BHAR was the first Muse album I listened to. And it blew me away.

Worst song: Hoodoo

Best Song: Knights of Cydonia

Best Moment: "NO ONE'S GONNA TAKE ME ALIVE! THE TIME HAS COME TO MAKE THINGS RIGHT! YOU AND I MUST FIGHT FOR OUR RIGHTS! YOU AND I MUST FIGHT TO SURVIVE!"

Why the hate for Hoodoo? :(

Do one thing:

Listen/watch this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ughBjosWQak

And we'll see if you still think Hoodoo is the worst song on the album :phu:

Why the hate for Hoodoo? :(

Do one thing:

Listen/watch this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ughBjosWQak

And we'll see if you still think Hoodoo is the worst song on the album :phu:

I always hated that Chris played guitar for that. It makes it seem like guitar is more important than bass. Bad example for all young aspiring bassists in the world.

Edit: Live the song is much better though.

I always hated that Chris played guitar for that. It makes it seem like guitar is more important than bass. Bad example for all young aspiring bassists in the world.

lol but piano+bass wouldn't have worked.

This is what made me fall in love with this song, I actually didn't care much for the guitar version at first.

(well this DVD is what made me fall in love with the band)

lol but piano+bass wouldn't have worked.

This is what made me fall in love with this song, I actually didn't care much for the guitar version at first.

(well this DVD is what made me fall in love with the band)

Of course it would work ... Morgan is playing the bass in the background. Wat da fook Chris?

Maybe it's just that Morgan can play bass better.

Although it really isn't a difficult part so I can't say for sure...

I'd give it a low 4, for Muse's standards. It's really consistent and it's singles are all good songs (unlike TR). The lyrics are much worse than any other past release, though. And the general theme is much less interesting.

Best tracks: Map Of The Problematique, Hoodoo, Take A Bow

Worst tracks: Soldier's Poem, Exo-Politics, Invincible

For reference for my "Muse's standard" score:

Origin Of Symmetry = Absolution > Black Holes and Revelations > The Resistance > Showbiz

BH&R works really well as 11 individual songs and it works good as a collection of songs. But as an album it just doesn't work as well as some of their other albums. Thats not to say its a bad album though.

Take a Bow: 4/5 - and awesome album opener thats very powerful and other worldly.

Starlight: 5/5 - pound for pound their best "radio friendly" song to date.

Supermassive Black Hole: 5/5 - I didn't become a rabid muse fan until around 2008 so when I heard this song I wasn't so shocked by the sound and how different it was to past work by them. I loved it from the start.

Map of the Problematique: 5/5 - The most powerful song on the album just in terms of pure sound. Some of the best lyrics on the album too.

Soldier's Poem: 2/5 - sweet little song thats very nicely put together, it just doesn't go anywhere. I've never been a fan of songs less than 3 minutes though so it never had much of a chance with me anyways haha.

Invincible: 4/5 - I have what you would call a love/hate relationship with 'Invincible'. Overall I love the optimistic nature to the song as most of muses other stuff is quite dark but i've kind of found that when muse goes optimistic the lyrics seem to suffer mightily. There not awful here just very cheesy. Love the guitar solo and I do love the opening of the song.

Assassin: 4/5 - Awesome guitar all throughout the song. I love the rapid fire nature of the song I just think it could have been expanded a little more, especially the guitar solo if you can even say there is one in this song. And I don't mean make the song longer per say. I do like the Grand omega mix but I do prefer the album version just a tad.

Exo-Politics: 3/5 - Cool song thats very basic. Decent guitar and lyrics. Most average song on the album.

City of Delusion: 4/5 - Really well composed song that has one of Muse's better arrangements musically. I thought the chorus could have been tweaked a bit the 2nd or 3rd time Matt sings it but beyond that no real complaints. Just can't give this 5/5 for some reason haha.

Hoodoo: 5/5 - I forgot about this song for a while because its so understated and under appreciated as a whole. I'd rank this as one of the top 5 best muse songs lyrically and I do love the combo/contrast of the guitar and piano parts in this song.

Knights of Cydonia: 5/5 - Do I even need to tell you how freaking awesome this song is???? I didn't think so.

Overall: 4/5

I love most of the songs on it and as a whole the album works but as an album itself I think it ranks 4th out of muses 5 albums thus far. I will admit though that I rank 4 or 5 of BH&R's songs in my 20 songs its just the not as good part of the album is among Muse's lowest in there catalogue for me.

Good Things About the Album

It's very diverse and takes a new step for Muse's musical direction. It has many memorable songs on it. It also has a great opening song

Bad Things About the Album

I find myself skipping over this album a lot. I'm not entirely sure why, but the album art doesn't really pop out at me and I don't really care for a couple of songs on the album.

Best Track

Take A Bow, Hoodoo, or City of Delusion (in that order). Take A Bow has wonderful build-up and is very epic and bombastic. It's a great way to start an album. Hoodoo is more dramatic and I really like the lyrics and piano. City of Delusion has nice vocals and I also really like the horn solo, it's very different.

Worst Track

Supermassive Black Hole or Starlight. It's not because Supermassive Black Hole was in Twilight (admittedly, that's the first time I'd heard the song), I just don't really care for the guitar in it. It's too distorted and electronic-y for my tastes, I suppose. And I think I've listened to Starlight too many times, so I skip over it a lot (Although I haven't listened to it in a while, so maybe I'll like it again).*

Favorite Moment

When the piano and guitar start playing in Hoodoo. It's so intense! :)

I really like this album, but there are a couple songs that I don't care for, which brings down the score. I give it 4/5 stars.

* I also find myself skipping over Knights of Cydonia, but that's also because I've listened to it far too many times. KoC helped me discover Muse, actually. I had played it incessantly on Guitar Hero back in fifth grade, before knowing what Muse was. :p

• 1 year later...

Archived