The guitar at the end is actually good, and it's a damn shame they still managed to make the song so bad.

Matt's vocals at the beginning are some of the least sincere and most painful to listen to in a long, long time. Absolutely rivals the stuff I didn't like on TR.

This reminded me, though, that the only reason I warmed up to Madness at all (and still mostly the end of it) was thinking that it WAS better than the stuff I hear on the radio, just not what I'm used to with Muse.

Dig Down most certainly is not better than most of that stuff.

That Coldplay/Chainsmokers song is more interesting and listenable than Dig Down.

Matt's vocals at the beginning are some of the least sincere and most painful to listen to in a long, long time. Absolutely rivals the stuff I didn't like on TR.

I can't disagree more, though I think Matt and I have very similar political views.

For me the song has grown from 6/10 to 8/10. It's not the best thing since sliced bread, but it's a great song regardless.

I can't disagree more, though I think Matt and I have very similar political views.

For me the song has grown from 6/10 to 8/10. It's not the best thing since sliced bread, but it's a great song regardless.

How do the vocals have anything to do with politics? I'm talking the sound not the lyrics. They sound like the first and last lines of Aftermath, like they're not quite right.

Wow this is pretty disappointing. Despite having some "poppy" tracks, Drones was miles better than T2L, and I hoped they were gonna come back to prog-rock or at least a legit solid "pop" song with this (IMO Madness was borderline decent but probably one of the better songs in T2L, and I absolutely loved Dead Inside and Revolt), but DD screams uninspired. And the worst part is, I've heard this song a couple times now, but it's still so deathly flavorless. At least Madness grew on me after a couple plays.

It kind of surprises me the hate Muse gets around here for their more poppy side. One of the main things that drew me to Muse was their diversity. They can go from badass rock to a piano ballad, to pop, to an almost theatrical/dramatic sound with ease. And they make it all sound good. I would think their musical diversity would be a big attraction for most fans.

It kind of surprises me the hate Muse gets around here for their more poppy side. One of the main things that drew me to Muse was their diversity. They can go from badass rock to a piano ballad, to pop, to an almost theatrical/dramatic sound with ease. And they make it all sound good. I would think their musical diversity would be a big attraction for most fans.

Gonna try hard to not be condescending even though this has been said like a hundred times:

Obviously people who like Muse like diversity, but that doesn't mean that:

1. They like ordinary pop. Muse have made pop before, but always with something unique or at least different about it. Lately there's been a lot of attempts to imitate what's on the radio which some people have been complaining about.

or 2. They agree that "they make it all sound good". This is really where you should have stopped to think "Am I just projecting my own opinion as a fact?". It's simple really, a lot of us just don't think it sounds very good.

A traditionally rock band is always gonna get flack from some fans for making anything pop tbf.

As for specifically on here though, is there really much of a prejudice against the pop? UD, Glorious and Dead Inside get quite a lot of praise. Supermassive, Easily and Starlight are generally well-liked tmk. Madness, Panic Station, Resistance, Mercy and Follow Me probs average out middling opinions. Revolt and IBTY seem to be love 'em or hate 'em songs.

NSC and Dig Down are the only ones I can think of that have been almost universally ragged upon but that's obvs just a quality issue for most people.

Edited by Jobby

A traditionally rock band is always gonna get flack from some fans for making anything pop tbf.

As for specifically on here though, is there really much of a prejudice against the pop? UD, Glorious and Dead Inside get quite a lot of praise. Supermassive, Easily and Starlight are generally well-liked tmk. Madness, Panic Station, Resistance, Mercy and Follow Me probs average out middling opinions. Revolt and IBTY seem to be love 'em or hate 'em songs.

NSC and Dig Down are the only ones I can think of that have been almost universally ragged upon but that's obvs just a quality issue for most people.

This sounds about right. I like most of the songs that you mentioned but Dig Down is just boring, uninspired and derivative of prior songs including Muse's own work.

When Psycho and Dead Inside came out last time around, I played them on repeat for some time until Drones was released. I'm not sure that I've listened to Dig Down more than 3 or 4 times all the way through. I wouldn't say that it's horrible, just horribly mediocre.

Don't forget about Guiding Light