Er... I have a feeling you might like NKOK more.

You know the times you were criticising Revolt for inciting to rise up in a silly way considering the band's background?

Well, there's also a phrase in Dig Down that goes like this:

"With a gun to your head / You must find a way".

Reading the Dig Down lyrics, I think the two songs are different in a significant way.

Dig Down, as clumsy as it still is, is saying that you have to try and find hope no matter how bad the situation is. You can't just give up. And as much as I suck at that, I do agree with it.

Revolt on the other hand states that the answer to all life's problems is being positive, by thinking differently one can shape the world around them. It pretty much paints people who face hardship as bringing it on themselves, or at least allowing themselves to be victims, through not having the right mentality. When this is a very real political position, it becomes a little frightening (and reprehensible,) when applied to even just the topics the song brings up.

Dig Down doesn't really seem to present "finding faith" as an answer to the ills of the world, but rather a necessity to avoid giving in to depression, and at least implies that it's not as simple as Revolt would have you believe.

That said, the big reason Revolt's childish chorus lyrics irk me (other than the lame Tea Party mentality) is simply because I think the song sounds really good, and they're a black stain on something I want to really enjoy.

The song would have worked a hell of a lot better in the original "reversed" Drones story where someone was optimistically naïve about changing the world, or being above it, and then ends up being crushed under the weight of the problem. I really like the idea of Revolt/Defector into Mercy.

The song would have worked a hell of a lot better in the original "reversed" Drones story where someone was optimistically naïve about changing the world, or being above it, and then ends up being crushed under the weight of the problem. I really like the idea of Revolt/Defector into Mercy.

Dig down just didn't make it into Drones. Now on to something completely different please.

5 seconds into Dig Down, I thought "Madness"

10 seconds into Dig Down, I thought about this forum's inevitable reaction. Uh oh.

Can't really say that i want to keep listening to the track after the 2nd or 3rd time. Pretty dull song unfortunately. B-side material.

If they plan to play sets this summer with Dig Down, Madness, Dead Inside and (God forbid) Undisclosed Desires, it's going to be quite the monotonous affair.

Long gone are the days where a Muse song didn't have all it's influences smack you in the face with a hammer.

We get it Matt, Prince and George Michael both died last year so you wrote a glaringly obvious tribute to their style and threw in some anti Trump stuff. Good job.

Same as you've done with U2 and Queen 100 times over in the past.

'Face a firing squad against all the odds'.

How the sweet Jesus did I miss this abomination first time :vomit:.

Remember when Muse wrote good electronic crossovers? Like Endlessly. Actually, that's a bit unfair as Dead Inside is by their best distillation of all their electronic influences.

But this is horseshit. It STILL sounds like fucking Queen.

And those synths at the end are borrowed straight from The Final Countdown. And those 'whoawoaagrhgrhghhhh wowghwghwhhhs' are straight from U2 (again). It's just shite. All of it.

Madness and Dead Inside were two of the better songs from the last two albums, so I'm not too upset. It's quite nice. The bass is quite pleasant and I dig the tempo, and the Queen harmonisations work nicely imo. I'm glad it's just a single, and I'm not holding onto the hope that they will ever make music of the standard we got on the first four albums, so I'm pretty satisfied.

Or maybe I'm just happy that I'm not really missing out on exciting gigs and that I don't have to be jealous of northern hemisphere/ aus/ nz/ south american Muse fans anymore.