It's too bad Muse haven't realised that, if their fans wanted them to sound like Coldplay, they would have just been Coldplay fans all along. Not to dismiss Coldplay nor their fans but it's hard to imagine that that is what Muse fans are really looking for. Just like Coldplay fans might be a little concerned if Chris Martin and Co. launched into a spontaneous cover of Micro Cuts between Green Eyes and Yellow.

Edited by Nigel_Tufnel

It's too bad Muse haven't realised that, if their fans wanted them to sound like Coldplay, they would have just been Coldplay fans all along.

No, I'm tired of this argument. Muse have demonstrated many times that they are fully aware of what their hardcore fanbase wants them to sound like. They just aren't terribly interested in being that band anymore.

I mean, Coldplay did pretty much the same thing, building an alternative sound before gradually switching to pop, but they're so far down the road of zero fucks given that the whingers have long since moved on. Muse on the other hand keep pandering to the diehards on occasion, creating this vicious cycle of hope-disappointment which has been going on for so many years that it's become sad to watch.

The band are even trolling people now who don't get the hint.

Edited by Espectro Cuatro

Thing is, Muse keep trying to make the switch to pop but then complain when people in the crowd at shows only know the pop and don't mosh or aren't active enough. It's like even they don't know what they want.

I will say though that, from the admittedly little I've seen so far, this tour seems to be the first where Matt actually looks pretty content and comfortable with the more laid-back, casual pop crowds so maybe the full switch is finally around the corner.

Thing is, Muse keep trying to make the switch to pop but then complain when people in the crowd at shows only know the pop and don't mosh or aren't active enough. It's like even they don't know what they want.

I will say though that, from the admittedly little I've seen so far, this tour seems to be the first where Matt actually looks pretty content and comfortable with the more laid-back, casual pop crowds so maybe the full switch is finally around the corner.

I don't think they'll switch totally to pop anytime soon. Not with the next album, at least, which they've claimed it may be diverse.

No, I'm tired of this argument. Muse have demonstrated many times that they are fully aware of what their hardcore fanbase wants them to sound like. They just aren't terribly interested in being that band anymore.

I mean, Coldplay did pretty much the same thing, building an alternative sound before gradually switching to pop, but they're so far down the road of zero fucks given that the whingers have long since moved on. Muse on the other hand keep pandering to the diehards on occasion, creating this vicious cycle of hope-disappointment which has been going on for so many years that it's become sad to watch.

The band are even trolling people now who don't get the hint.

You make some decent points but I don't fully buy the argument that Coldplay were ever very alternative. [Whatever alternative actually means] When they introduced themselves to the world with a song like "Yellow", I wouldn't say that they had much of a transition to make for a pop sound. IMO Coldplay have pretty much always been a pop/rock band.

Edited by Nigel_Tufnel

I don't think they'll switch totally to pop anytime soon. Not with the next album, at least, which they've claimed it may be diverse.

The 2nd Law was diverse. While I do like the album overall, it does have a "throw everything at the wall and see what sticks" feel. And one touring cycle later, Muse have already abandoned the entire album except for Madness. Like Jobby said, one has to wonder if the band really knows how they want to sound.

• 1 month later...

As diverse as Muse's material has become over the years...there hasn't really ever been a song I actually disliked. Something about their overall delivery has always sat on the right side, with me.

Not this though. It just doesn't do anything for me, really. Sounds like a song that should've been left forgotten deep in some hard drive. The worst offender, personally, would be how their idea of development on the second verse is made up of some incredibly generic guitar arpeggio and cheap sounding staccato strings... It just seems very half harsed, which is something I've never felt Muse had done. Despite how people felt towards their different experiments, I've always appreciated their unrelenting attention to instrumentation. I always felt like the band had a very personal way of filling up the sonic spectrum of their music, but this is just not the case.

Also vocal wise, the metrics chosen for the words seem so uninspired and like no second thought has been put into them: the beat is very stale which means as a listener you kinda depend on the rythmical nuances of the vocals to groove around the strong beats. But thats just not there.

To seal the deal, the pulsating synth bass upon which the whole tune is built on sounded dated by the time the song came out, I can't imagine how that will feel in a couple years*. Overall a truly disposable single. Maybe this was just something they quickly put together to kick off the U.S tour with? Heh.

Seriously surprised that the song didn't grow one bit on me, which is very unusual with me for Muse tracks.

Edited by s3ker

As diverse as Muse's material has become over the years...there hasn't really ever been a song I actually disliked. Something about their overall delivery has always sat on the right side, with me.

Not this though. It just doesn't do anything for me, really. Sounds like a song that should've been left forgotten deep in some hard drive. The worst offender, personally, would be how their idea of development on the second verse is made up of some incredibly generic guitar arpeggio and cheap sounding staccato strings... It just seems very half harsed, which is something I've never felt Muse had done. Despite how people felt towards their different experiments, I've always appreciated their unrelenting attention to instrumentation. I always felt like the band had a very personal way of filling up the sonic spectrum of their music, but this is just not the case.

Also vocal wise, the metrics chosen for the words seem so uninspired and like no second thought has been put into them: the beat is very stale which means as a listener you kinda depend on the rythmical nuances of the vocals to groove around the strong beats. But thats just not there.

To seal the deal, the pulsating synth bass upon which the whole tune is built on sounded dated by the time the song came out, I can't imagine how that will feel in a couple synths. Overall a truly disposable single. Maybe this was just something they quickly put together to kick off the U.S tour with? Heh.

Seriously surprised that the song didn't grow one bit on me, which is very unusual with me for Muse tracks.

Maybe it's indeed how you put it: just a throwaway single released for the sake of having something new to offer while touring again. I actually enjoy it, perhaps more then I've thought I would, but perhaps it might have been better received if it wasn't an official single forma a future project, maybe presented as a collateral b-side.

Part of me actually wouldn't be surprised if they end up leaving Dig Down off when they eventually get round to doing LP8. They've had a history of falling out of favour with songs written/played that far in advance of putting together an album, and it's obvs been received v poorly. With the 'singles release method' thing looking increasingly up in the air, it could easily just end up left as another between-albums standalone.

Marginally related I suppose because they're touring together, but I'm rather surprised how much 30STM's new single reminds me of Dig Down.

Poppy, repetitious, vague/shallow political lyrics, and a full on gospel chorus.

Possibly more listenable, still, though.

I dunno. They're both pretty terrible, but at least Dig Down makes me chuckle.

Part of me actually wouldn't be surprised if they end up leaving Dig Down off when they eventually get round to doing LP8. They've had a history of falling out of favour with songs written/played that far in advance of putting together an album, and it's obvs been received v poorly. With the 'singles release method' thing looking increasingly up in the air, it could easily just end up left as another between-albums standalone.

Yeah, I'd be surprised if it showed up on the album. Everyone would just skip it.

Poppy, repetitious, vague/shallow political lyrics, and a full on gospel chorus.

Just tried a listen. I can't handle this kind of music. Lots of oooh-oh and same vocals and beats as everything else on the radio. And the lyrics pretend to say a lot without actually saying anything.

Dig Down is shit, but at least there aren't a hundred other songs like it.