Do you like Psycho?  

503 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like Psycho?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe

This is pretty much my feeling. But I get the sense that the 20-22 crowd love it. Those older Muse fans(35+), the hell with us right?

Ah yes, those cretinous young'uns.

Clearly you're right and anyone who disagrees with you is being brainwashed.

Drones.

No one's arguing it's on that level anyway. We've pretty much all said it doesn't come close to Plug In Baby or Butterflies and Hurricanes.

I would love to see more of that gritty, jazzy bass.

Yeah. Reminded me a bit of Chris' playing on Hyper Music.

No idea. I mean he can still belt out Bb4s like Madness, Survival and all of those, but I think it depends on how he felt doing it last tour. Maybe he wants to tone it down this time, so he won't spit blood after the gigs. Or he wants to keep pushing himself. No way of knowing really. I do believe that he'll tone it down on the singles at least.

I clearly don't know enough about singing, since I simply cannot do it. :stunned:

That sounds like it can't be good for a person, though.

No idea. I mean he can still belt out Bb4s like Madness, Survival and all of those, but I think it depends on how he felt doing it last tour. Maybe he wants to tone it down this time, so he won't spit blood after the gigs. Or he wants to keep pushing himself. No way of knowing really. I do believe that he'll tone it down on the singles at least.

to be honest he never actually tried with the Bb4s last tour, he sort of started to build to it in Survival and just pulled away from the mic every time and madness was of course dropped a semi tone to A4 which while not much of a difference he still sung the second one in falsetto each time, so like you said, it will be interesting to see if there's any big belts on this album and if there are whether he really goes for them on the tour

This is pretty much my feeling. But I get the sense that the 20-22 crowd love it. Those older Muse fans(35+), the hell with us right?

So us young'uns just like anything which is loud, repetitive and catchy right? Because we're far too young to begin forming opinions of our own, clearly.

It's not stupidly long. Doesn't even get near the the 8-minute mark.

It's stupidly long because of how little variation there is. For instance Newborn is bit longer but it's also a very dynamic song, with the intro, main riff and a much more inspired verse (nevermind the solo and arena-sized chorus). With Psycho I always feel like they're really always just rushing back to the riff : intro jabbery - riff - short verse - riff - weird breakdown thing - riff - extended riff - moar riff - ... They followed Grohl's advice by "don't bore us get to the chorus". This song would've been seriously better as like an intense 2:40 minute (Nirvana/Pixies - style) song, would've also fit the theme better. Seriously the choruses before and right after the guitar breakdown feel soo redundant

Granted I haven't read the last 10 pages so it may have already been mentioned, but I love that final falsetto note. Reminds me of Muscle Museum in the way that it matches the guitar.

Yeah that was pretty much my favourite part of the song as well. They should've gone more down that road for the guitar solo instead of that mind-numbingly boring octave thing.

It's stupidly long because of how little variation there is. For instance Newborn is bit longer but it's also a very dynamic song, with the intro, main riff and a much more inspired verse (nevermind the solo and arena-sized chorus). With Psycho I always feel like they're really always just rushing back to the riff : intro jabbery - riff - short verse - riff - weird breakdown thing - riff - extended riff - moar riff - ... They followed Grohl's advice by "don't bore us get to the chorus". This song would've been seriously better as like an intense 2:40 minute (Nirvana/Pixies - style) song, would've also fit the theme better. Seriously the choruses before and right after the guitar breakdown feel soo redundant.

I'd say it works just fine. Actually reminds me of the better songs of The Black Album by Metallica.

to be honest he never actually tried with the Bb4s last tour, he sort of started to build to it in Survival and just pulled away from the mic every time and madness was of course dropped a semi tone to A4 which while not much of a difference he still sung the second one in falsetto each time, so like you said, it will be interesting to see if there's any big belts on this album and if there are whether he really goes for them on the tour
He did it in Survival. Pulled away yes, but hit the note straight on and held it for a little while. Then there was the Freedom outro, Feeling Good, a performance of Follow Me, and a live performance of KoC. He clearly displayed the ability to hit the note live.

But yeah I can see that my phrasing might be confusing. He obviously never hit Bb4s in Madness live. But why has so many people forgotten that he did both A4s of Madness properly for quite a while before giving up on the second one? There was even a transition period where he changed mid-note.

Matt is older now, so his voice has matured, which is not a bad thing. He can of course still hold the falsetto, but it would be weird if he still had the sound and tone he had when he was 19 or twenty. Plus he never said they were never going back to the OOS or Absolution days.

They just wanted to go back to being a three piece. Like Matt said, you can't beat drum, bass and guitar.

And did you notice the matching clothes in the video...a uniform to go with the theme of the video and song.

But yeah I can see that my phrasing might be confusing. He obviously never hit Bb4s in Madness live. But why has so many people forgotten that he did both A4s of Madness properly for quite a while before giving up on the second one? There was even a transition period where he changed mid-note.

I never forgot, those are the only versions I ever want to watch on the 1 in 100,000,000 chance I feel like watching Madness live.

I remember being pretty shocked when he did the Bb4 at Taratata. That whole performance is ace.

I was really surprised by how Matt coped on the T2L tour, especially on the first part of the tour. He really give it his all on the newer songs and sounded great on the older stuff. It's understandable he had to ease off as the tour went on but props to him. I remember the Manchester gig was their third gig in a row and he still went for it in Follow Me, Madness and Survival.

A bit off topic but I'd love them to bring back Sing For Absolution, just to see how he'd do on the final section these days.

Feeling Good

I will forever picture that one performance where he wails instead.

it will be interesting to see if there's any big belts on this album and if there are whether he really goes for them on the tour

Credit where due, it was only two albums ago that he was struggling with G4's live, and A4's were avoided like the plague. Come T2L tour he was hitting a bunch of A4's every single night.

I really don't get the people who say there's only one riff. There's the main riff, the chorus riff ("your ass belongs to me now), the verse riff and the walking bass.

Not saying the song isn't too long, and I think it could've used a bit more diversity, but saying there's only one riff is a huge exaggeration.

At first I didn't like Psycho.

I even spent my Friday night grumbling about how I dislike it on my Line TL (i even use the strong 'hate' word). I shortly fell asleep after those grumblings thing, and had a dream of watching Muse live.

The next day when I played Psycho again, I didn't despise it anymore.

Wtf, Muse had successfully brainwashed me and turned me into THEIR human drones.:LOL::LOL:

The fact that I don't despise it anymore doesn't mean that I like like it, though. So I answer 'maybe' to the poll. :D

Psycho was pretty good while running. I felt like I was gonna win. I think the vocals are keeping me from loving it. The song kind of has the grittiness of some of BHaR, but the vocals of TR/T2L. Needs more #raw.

And maybe this has been pointed out but I reckon the speaking bits in the middle give context to the song, if you were only hearing the track by itself without the intro. So they don't really bother me.

He did it in Survival. Pulled away yes, but hit the note straight on and held it for a little while. Then there was the Freedom outro, Feeling Good, a performance of Follow Me, and a live performance of KoC. He clearly displayed the ability to hit the note live.

Not to get completely off topic, but I always thought when he started falsetto-ing the second part in Madness, it sounded a lot better. I think I just like Matt's falsetto because it's still not really common to hear falsetto in modern rock music.

Probably why I like the end of Psycho so much.

Right, just had my first listen.

First impressions - it's very beefy, which I like. It feels like a hybrid of Uprising and Supremacy to me.

REALLY like the 'you're ass belongs to me bits', the lyrics are obvs a silly spoof on a stereotypical sergeant shouting, but the way Matt delivers the lines is great.

It is a touch repetitive, granted, but I'm going to really enjoy hearing that riff repeatedly live :D.

After one listen - 7/10. Solid. A good start.

Love it

ultimate tribute

to Kurt Cobain

Anyone that states

lyrics are trash

has never lived it to the fullest

Wow

This is truly

one of thee

Greatest posts

I have ever seen

on this board