Do you like Psycho?  

503 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like Psycho?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe

Okay after hearing it through proper speakers, it actually is great. Silly of me to have judged it through crappy laptop speakers. The repetition isn't bothering me anymore because the beefiness alone is enough to hold the song.

This. Well,I loved it at first listen mainly due to all the excitement... it's better than anything on TR or T2L,but it isn't as good as anything on Abso or OoS. It's BHaR level,if not a bit worse.

There is no way music can be judged that quickly, especially compared to albums that are more than 10 years old and have been performed countless times live.

Also, don't get me wrong, I don't care about people not liking it. It's just that after a few days the self proclaimed experts seem to come out of the woodwork and try to cram as much of the word 'cringe and OoS' in a single post as they possibly can.

Annoys me when people sit there and over analyse music like they're some kind of prophet of songwriting.

It's fun. That's what matters.

Exactly what I mean.

Edited by Dillyracer

Okay after hearing it through proper speakers, it actually is great. Silly of me to have judged it through crappy laptop speakers. The repetition isn't bothering me anymore because the beefiness alone is enough to hold the song.

I'm very much looking forwards to getting home and listening to it through my speakers. Just gotta contend with laptop and iPhone speakers for another three weeks....

I'm sure he said it's their worst since Madness.

Yeah. His review was very fair. I think he may have been referring to Survival. :LOL:

Madness was of course their worst single since Survival. In turn their worst single since Neutron Star Collision.

Oh well. I'm listened to Psycho about 20 times since it was released so I don't think I hate it!

I think the song is great its good to see the 0305030 riff get its own song and it sounds awesome i couldnt help but smile while i heard the song :p

I like them but i wish the Drill Sergeant was cut from the full song it will probably get annoying with repeated listens.

Looking forward to the rest of the album i love this big fuck you theme going on at the army but just saying i feel the lyrics "Your ass belongs to me now" would sound better and more effective if Matt sang "Your soul belongs to me now" just saying.

I think the song is great its good to see the 0305030 riff get its own song and it sounds awesome i couldnt help but smile while i heard the song :p

I like them but i wish the Drill Sergeant was cut from the full song it will probably get annoying with repeated listens.

Looking forward to the rest of the album i love this big fuck you theme going on at the army but just saying i feel the lyrics "Your ass belongs to me now" would sound better and more effective if Matt sang "Your soul belongs to me now" just saying.

If Matt used 'soul' again we'd all be cringing that he uses it all the time and has no other vocabulary...

I think the interesting thing I get from it is that lyrically it isn't from "Matt Bellamy's Perspective" - he seems to be singing as a character rather than as himself, which actually makes me really excited for the album as a whole. If they're writing lyrics in that way, it sounds like they've properly committed to doing a full-scale concept album, which I'm all in favour of.

And I don't find it too repetitive, they're doing enough interesting things with the riff to keep in ticking along nicely. It's been ages since we had a proper, balls-to-the-wall rocker from them, and I'm really enjoying it. The Muse I love are back.

I think the interesting thing I get from it is that lyrically it isn't from "Matt Bellamy's Perspective" - he seems to be singing as a character rather than as himself, which actually makes me really excited for the album as a whole. If they're writing lyrics in that way, it sounds like they've properly committed to doing a full-scale concept album, which I'm all in favour of.

And I don't find it too repetitive, they're doing enough interesting things with the riff to keep in ticking along nicely. It's been ages since we had a proper, balls-to-the-wall rocker from them, and I'm really enjoying it. The Muse I love are back.

Agreed, it makes me excited for the album too, and I think it's a brilliant start to the Drones era. It shows us that they're back to their rock roots, and is a great introduction to the album's concept.

Also, it may seem lazy/bad lyrically, but I'm actually starting to find the lyrics stronger than most previous efforts. In other Muse songs about political/social issues, Matt Bellamy always used to sing about "them"/"they" and "us", with little context. For once, he's tacking the issue head-on, and there's much more of a clear focus on what the song is about. I just hope this continues throughout the album. Oh, and I still think "Your ass belongs to me now" actually still works in the context of the track.

^ well, I got used to it rather quickly. On repeated listens ;)

Annoys me when people sit there and over analyse music like they're some kind of prophet of songwriting.

It's fun. That's what matters.

Ha, so true! At times I even think that you sort of ought to speak up here only when you don't like their new stuff. It seems sort of trendy to criticize whatever they do here :D But, on the other hand, it has always been that way here, at least ever since I started listening to them ;-)

Sometimes I think Muse set standards way too high, and just because they has already done so many various things with their music and sound, no matter what they do now, it's never enough. I mean... there were so many complaints about them being too experimental, too complex, too bombastic, too much electronic, too much pop, too little rock, but when they actually do a simple rocker, it's still bad.

I mean, come on, fulfilling Musers' expectations seems impossible these days. Probably because we can't really name them ourselves :D

But anyway: I do enjoy reading all the criticism here. I always have. I even think that that's why I love Muse and this community so freaking much :D

This song is ridiculously fun. It's not the most lyrically thought provoking or instrumentally intricate, but one thing that I always thought was unique about Muse was their ability to not take themselves so seriously. Especially given the level of musicianship they have.

While the song might be a bit more "serious" in the context of the album, on its own it sounds like a rock band having fun with a killer riff! I mean seriously, the bend when he says "fucking psycho". That's 100% Muse-ish and so ridiculous that it is awesome.

A+, in my opinion.

I've never felt this kind of second-hand embarrassment when listening to a song.

I thought this album was going to be some Forced In / Citizen Erased / Stockholm Syndrome shit. My expectations were drowned in shame by this song.

Remember when Matt could poetic lyrics? With some subtlety.

I don't even mind the cock-rock riff. I'm so shocked by everything else.

I think it's a cracking track overall! The drum part is miles better than anything on The 2nd Law, which as a drummer I find refreshing. Some really neat fills with the little sextuplet bursts and crotchet triplets.

The lyrics I aren't particularly magnificent, but I suppose they make a point. I still think surely Matt could have changed 'ass' to 'mind' or something like that. Good meaty raw riffing goodness still. Glad it's not the lead single. I think it kinda lacks a bit of thoughtful song writing to warrant it being that. Still great fun to listen to though! :D