Do you like Psycho?  

503 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like Psycho?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe

Just listened again for the third time and I'm not sure how I feel about the song now. I think I've lost the ability to be objective.
Maybe because feelins aren't objective and your opinion of the song is subjective by default?

Yes keep convincing yourself that Psycho is in the same caliber of "New Born". Matt is not new to writing political rock songs. "Take a Bow" has a very clunky lyric, but the music is wondrous. Psycho has shit music & shit lyrics. Shit song deserves to be shunned.

Yes keep convincing yourself that Psycho is in the same caliber of "New Born". Matt is not new to writing political rock songs. "Take a Bow" has a very clunky lyric, but the music is wondrous. Psycho has shit music & shit lyrics. Shit song deserves to be shunned.

Who are you talking to? :erm:

agreed with what was mentioned earlier about liking the jazzy bass.

Edited by rina_06

Ok.

I've never felt this kind of second-hand embarrassment when listening to a song.

I thought this album was going to be some Forced In / Citizen Erased / Stockholm Syndrome shit. My expectations were drowned in shame by this song.

Remember when Matt could poetic lyrics? With some subtlety.

I don't even mind the cock-rock riff. I'm so shocked by everything else.

This is pretty much my feeling. But I get the sense that the 20-22 crowd love it. Those older Muse fans(35+), the hell with us right?

Clearly you're right and anyone who disagrees with you is being brainwashed.

Drones.

So I'm supposed to love this turd of a song by the same band that I fell in love with because of Absolution and OoS? At least when Radiohead changed direction after OKC with Kid A, it was a brilliant masterpiece and innovative. There is nothing innovative about Psycho and nothing brilliant. It's just different for it's own sake.

Different' and 'new' is relatively easy. Doing something that's genuinely better is very hard.

Jonathan Ive

Read more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/j/jonathan_ive.html#fjrRdwMTyJAskAeP.99

Dr. Origin of Symmetry, so nice to see you once again. Making forcedly incessant references to your field of expertise only makes you seem like more of an amateur than a true doctor of knowledge. The panel that granted you such expertise should look into giving your title to a far more radically militant expert in all things Muse who knows better than to make this amateur mistake. Perhaps it is you who should be shunned by all lovers of Origin of Symmetry.

Dr. Origin of Symmetry, so nice to see you once again. Making forcedly incessant references to your field of expertise only makes you seem like more of an amateur than a true doctor of knowledge. The panel that granted you such expertise should look into giving your title to a far more radically militant expert in all things Muse who knows better than to make this amateur mistake. Perhaps it is you who should be shunned by all lovers of Origin of Symmetry.

Against my better judgement I bought the last 2 albums. It was all in the interest of being "open minded" to Muse's new direction. But it's clearly they're more in the One Direction.

Against my better judgement I bought the last 2 albums. It was all in the interest of being "open minded" to Muse's new direction. But it's clearly they're more in the One Direction.

Again, why are you still on this forum. You clearly hate Muse now. There must be another band you like... Go find their community.

So I'm supposed to love this turd of a song by the same band that I fell in love with because of Absolution and OoS? At least when Radiohead changed direction after OKC with Kid A, it was a brilliant masterpiece and innovative. There is nothing innovative about Psycho and nothing brilliant. It's just different for it's own sake.
Please, tell us, who has told you you have to like the song? (Aside from JJ who is clearly on a mission to force the whole world to like it)

Granted I haven't read the last 10 pages so it may have already been mentioned, but I love that final falsetto note. Reminds me of Muscle Museum in the way that it matches the guitar.
That's more like Escape though. In MM he replaces the guitar.

That's more like Escape though. In MM he replaces the guitar.

Yeah good point!

How do you think he'll do with his chest voice on this album? I wouldn't expect it live but do you think he could match or top the big notes he hits in Madness?

Yeah good point!

How do you think he'll do with his chest voice on this album? I wouldn't expect it live but do you think he could match or top the big notes he hits in Madness?

No idea. I mean he can still belt out Bb4s like Madness, Survival and all of those, but I think it depends on how he felt doing it last tour. Maybe he wants to tone it down this time, so he won't spit blood after the gigs. Or he wants to keep pushing himself. No way of knowing really. I do believe that he'll tone it down on the singles at least.

The thing is, I don't want them to do OoS again. They did that 14 years ago, and to do it again would be a step backwards. For me, and this is only a personal opinion, it's got a great melody (especially the 7-note melisma on "now"), the structure is genuinely innovative (even if some don't like it, I much prefer it in this form than a verse - chorus - verse - chorus - solo - chorus structure), the jazzy walking distorted bass is fantastic and new, and the two riffs really work. It's not OoS, and I don't think it would fit on any of their other albums either. That's exactly what I want from them - something new, with some lineage to the things I love them for.

^totally agree!

I also get the complaints about the lyrics, but it is not like they are the worst thing Matt has ever written. It is like people haven't listened to Showbiz (the album obviously). The whole "Muse have completely jumped the shark. These lyrics are the worst thing Matt has ever written. What happened to Matt's lyric writing ability? He used to write amazing lyrics," thing is ridiculous. How is "Your ass belongs to me now," worse than "Stretch it like a birth squeeze?" At least one of those lines actually makes sense in the context of the song (granted New Born hardly makes any sense at all).

^good point; however, well, I wrote an essay on New Born's lyrics once, and I'd say that it can actually make a lot of sense, at least to me :)

Anyway, as I said before: I love the fact that the song is told from abuser's perspective. And I'd say it's supposed to be cringe-worthy.

The 3rd track of each album since Blackholes has had some quirky/silly/funny track, Supermassive Black Hole, Undisclosed Desires, Panic Station and now Psycho... is this an actual pattern or just me?? They fall into the same kinda category and tend to stick out in a odd way.

The 3rd track of each album since Blackholes has had some quirky/silly/funny track, Supermassive Black Hole, Undisclosed Desires, Panic Station and now Psycho... is this an actual pattern or just me?? They fall into the same kinda category and tend to stick out in a odd way.

it's not really the third track though... I wouldn't call the drill sergeant a seperate song.