Do you like Psycho?  

503 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like Psycho?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe

Oh, my, I've voted for the poll but I've never written my verdict about the song.

So, here I go.

First of all, I really enjoy it for one of the things that a lot of fans instead have strongly criticised: its cockiness. Yes, because it reminds me of that gritty "stoner blues" sound that I'm willing to explore by listening to other bands (suggestions are absolutely welcomed): strictly repeated melodical structures and riffs (minus the final "tragic" section), triplet feel rhythms with steady tempo, and a grainy guitar tone.

Personally, I feel it would have been even better if Matt had launched himself into a proper solo, but it doesn't bother me so much.

Vocals delivery is fantastic as usual: I really, really dig the slightly wicked tone Matt manages to convey in some lines (00So come to me, now...03 sounds remotely menacing, for example) and the vocal melody and harmonies through the choruses.

The lyrics could be perceived as really "crude" and too straightforward, but I think they efficiently deliver the hideous sergeant's point of view, with his violence, and him being unmerciful and cruel towards the private (00Your ass belongs to me, now03 really goes straight to the point! Ahahah!).

All this considered, I don't find the drill sergeant's spoken bits and the vague resemblances with Uprising so annoying for my listening experience.

My final vote is a full 7.5 / 10.

Hoping the whole album will be even better than this! ;)

Edited by MartianSpaghettiRider

Right, just had my first listen.

First impressions - it's very beefy, which I like. It feels like a hybrid of Uprising and Supremacy to me.

REALLY like the 'you're ass belongs to me bits', the lyrics are obvs a silly spoof on a stereotypical sergeant shouting, but the way Matt delivers the lines is great.

It is a touch repetitive, granted, but I'm going to really enjoy hearing that riff repeatedly live :D.

After one listen - 7/10. Solid. A good start.

Thank you for understanding the damn song.

No, I really don't feel that way. I just hate this song and came here to express my opinion because.. that's what we do here?

No, actually, I always found this riff dull. I don't like Muse for the silly hard rawck aesthetic. The riff interludes get me yawning at shows.

Why do people here have such a hard time understanding that people can have different opinions on music? If "Psycho" is your thing, then yeah go ahead and enjoy it. I loved the shit out of Madness when this board was mostly hating it (although The 2nd Law was underwhelming in the end). A band can have fans with different tastes, you know?

I couldn't care less about you liking it or not. It's the melodrama that always has to be associated with it that makes me laugh.

I find the song to be very lazy and doubt that I'll ever intentionally put it on when I have the actual album.

It feels as if they thought they could just ride the fan adoration of that riff for 5.5 minutes and didn't consider playing around with it at all.

Also, Uprising 2.0

I can't listen to it without hearing all of the cool riffs that could have been vs that same one over and over which is now far less special than it was before it was an actual song.

Edit: I loves it when I first heard it, but more in the context of a band I like releasing new music in a direction I like. Now I doubt really find there is anything to go back to and listen to. That riff has been played so much better so many different times that it makes Psycho unnecessary to listen to. It feels as if it's begging for some jams, but just continues on doing the same thing and then ending on a whimper.

I thought "FOR SURE they are going to add so much to this live!", but no...

Edit 2: and that bridge section! Just ascending chords on guitar? Snore.

Edited by PeedgeMcDuck

http://www.nme.com/news/muse/83578?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=muse

wow, NME are claiming Muse might have plagiarised a 2013 song

despite the riff being over 16 years old eh....... :LOL:

It points to a blog post by the band member that wrote this song, but even in the comments he said the intention of the post wasn't to cry plagiarism, it was to point out the Blurred Lines issue, but used a 'contentious' issue in the form of his own situation. He also said that he didn't know that the riff had been around since '99 and only said that the guitar/bass lines were similar, he said that the vocal melodies were entirely different.... so he kind of just called plagiarism on himself, really :LOL:

Does anyone else hear the slight "click/tap" sounds in the song?

It's nothing really but i still notice it every time i'm listening to the song (like the mixing mistake in Save me, once you know it's there you here it every time ;))

Maybe it's from the drum recordings or is it just me that hears it?

for example here:

4:21, 4:25, 5:20 on the youtube video

or

4:01, 4:05, 5:00 on the actual song (at least on spotify)

Edited by Nimbus