Do you like Psycho?  

503 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like Psycho?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe

Heard from a friend that a station in Philadelphia (93.3) gave Psycho a spin, apparently its not too offensive, not sure if they cut the sargeant parts out but i doubt it

They're apparently playing it on a radio station in Seattle as well (not the radio edit).

Doubt it'll get much airplay. It's stupidly long for no reason, without a great catchy hook to speak of.

For me the best part in this song is actually the very ending where he sings and plays the same note, it's the closest to OoS they get in the entire song. So that's roughly from 5:19 onwards

the song would be a lot better if Matt actually screamed the "a fucking psychoooo" part.

I actually love the way he says the "you fucking psycho" towards the end. I interpret that as the one line coming from Matt and it just conveys the perfect level of disgust toward the drill sergeant and his tactics.

First time poster, lurker since The Resistance, huge fan since the single Bliss was released.

When I first heard Psycho I couldn't stop smiling and I still can not stop listening. I understand where people who don't like it are coming from. It is a bit long for the same riff, personally I don't mind the drill sergeant snippets but again I can see why some people wouldn't.

As for the lyrics, I honestly am a believer that in context with the concept album they will be fine. To be honest, I didn't think anything of the lyrics until I visited the forum to see everyone's response.

Does it remind anyone of Jeff Lynn's 'War of the Worlds'? :$ It specifically reminds me of 'Eve of War'. Look at that track. "The chances of anything coming from Mars are a million to one he says. But still they come."..... Terrible lyrics as a stand alone song. As a part of the album and as a part of the story they fit fine. I know people will say War of the Worlds is totally different and is maybe incomparable to Drones, but that's just how I see it. Psycho is a yes from me.

Doubt it'll get much airplay. It's stupidly long for no reason, without a great catchy hook to speak of.

For me the best part in this song is actually the very ending where he sings and plays the same note, it's the closest to OoS they get in the entire song. So that's roughly from 5:19 onwards

I wouldn't say that, the riff's been going round and round my head all day today. Accidentally caught myself absent-mindedly singing "you fucking psycho" with the boss in earshot, too, and the only defence I have is its catchiness!

The thing is, I don't want them to do OoS again. They did that 14 years ago, and to do it again would be a step backwards. For me, and this is only a personal opinion, it's got a great melody (especially the 7-note melisma on "now"), the structure is genuinely innovative (even if some don't like it, I much prefer it in this form than a verse - chorus - verse - chorus - solo - chorus structure), the jazzy walking distorted bass is fantastic and new, and the two riffs really work. It's not OoS, and I don't think it would fit on any of their other albums either. That's exactly what I want from them - something new, with some lineage to the things I love them for.

It's not stupidly long. Doesn't even get near the the 8-minute mark.

Agreed, it makes me excited for the album too, and I think it's a brilliant start to the Drones era. It shows us that they're back to their rock roots, and is a great introduction to the album's concept.

Also, it may seem lazy/bad lyrically, but I'm actually starting to find the lyrics stronger than most previous efforts. In other Muse songs about political/social issues, Matt Bellamy always used to sing about "them"/"they" and "us", with little context. For once, he's tacking the issue head-on, and there's much more of a clear focus on what the song is about. I just hope this continues throughout the album. Oh, and I still think "Your ass belongs to me now" actually still works in the context of the track.

Looks like you and I and whoever else wants to hop on the anticipation train for a proper concept album. I'm so glad about the lack of "them"/"they" and "us" on this track. The rest of the album I feel will be promising because he/the band know(s) what the goal is for the record, while the last couple have been very here and there.

There's not liking a song, and there's acting like it kicked your puppy and ruined your life. It's people's own fault if they seriously expected Muse to do another Forced In.

:LOL:

For me the problems of the song are this:

1. Same riff throughout the song

2. If you only got 1 riff don't make the song 5 minutes long

3. Vocals are meh (not talking about lyrics)

However it's not that bad and it will be certainly better live.

>same riff throughout the song

:facepalm: :facepalm: facepalm:

Edited by jonisdead

I wouldn't say that, the riff's been going round and round my head all day today. Accidentally caught myself absent-mindedly singing "you fucking psycho" with the boss in earshot, too, and the only defence I have is its catchiness!

The thing is, I don't want them to do OoS again. They did that 14 years ago, and to do it again would be a step backwards. For me, and this is only a personal opinion, it's got a great melody (especially the 7-note melisma on "now"), the structure is genuinely innovative (even if some don't like it, I much prefer it in this form than a verse - chorus - verse - chorus - solo - chorus structure), the jazzy walking distorted bass is fantastic and new, and the two riffs really work. It's not OoS, and I don't think it would fit on any of their other albums either. That's exactly what I want from them - something new, with some lineage to the things I love them for.

Agreed.