How would you rate Survival, on a scale of 1-5?  

800 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate Survival, on a scale of 1-5?

• Poor - What is this shite?
    • Fair - Well, it's tolerable, but I'll skip it a lot.
    • Good - Decent song, some good parts.
    • Very good - Mostly enjoyable, some really great moments, but not perfect.
    • Excellent - Holy crap, I love it. I had to change my pants.

Typical that the song would be released on the day that I am in Oxford all day and didn't get back til 9pm :LOL:

Initial impression is very positive! The prelude intro sounds cool, but the initial piano bit with the backing vocals (ah ah ah ah ah ah ah, really?) is uber cheesy. As soon as the guitar kicks in it's like a different song :eek: The solo is what does it for me (same with Invincible actually) It actually kinda reminds me of the main hook of USoE, only on guitar. Anyone else hear that or is it just me?

And for everyone complaining about cheesy lyrics; this is a song for the Olympics, he's not exactly going to be singing about Zetas and mind control and bringing down the government is he? :rolleyes:

Absolutely love the song :LOL: Lyrics are incredibly bad and cliche but still, we all expected it from the olympic song. I think the entire piece as an instrumental is fantastic, once again as most people will say, the prelude intro is really nice, the queen-esque verse isn't the best, but after that i absolutely love it.

I remember disliking NSC when i first heard it, and thinking that it would grow on me. But this song just hit me from the start, and its getting better with each listen.

It's so ridiculously Muse that I can't help but like it at the very least.

Sounds more like Disney than Olympics though, what with the moving strings and the 'ah ah ah', oh dear :LOL:

And I thought Muse couldn't get any bigger/more ridiculous. I hope they don't go the 30STM route though and include a loud choir in the background for every song cause that'll get annoying fast

Paying attention to the smaller details in the song, putting aside and accepting the operatic cheese-fest that this particular Olympic-Games-inspired outing is, I actually think it paints a really promising image of the new album and I'm looking forward to it.

Minus the choir and strings, the instrumental is quite rock and Matt's vocals are wonderful in comparison to the whine his singing has become in recent years. We started to hear the beginning of this during the Resistance but it wasn't really fully realised, kind of like when your voice starts to break through in your teens, but it's not fully there yet, it breaks occasionally, not solid.

I wasn't actually sure if it was Matt when he began singing, his voice to me, seems to have really matured. This is the most powerful I think we've heard it at for a long time. I welcome the scream and falsetto with open arms as we haven't even seen a glimpse of that kind of vocal intensity for a long time, but even the regular chest voice singing parts are much more realised than they were during The Resistance.

I guess to finish, they already confirmed my suspicion that this USOE-dramatic style of song is a one off on the album so taking the strings, cheese and choir out of it paints a better image of the albums entirety from a general perspective than the song as a whole and I don't particularly think the direction they're going in with this in mind, is bad at all.

They're never going to make another Origin of Symmetry, they are nu-Muse now and it's definitely nu-Muse but I think it's much more back-to-roots and rock than we seen with Black Holes and Revelations or The Resistance.

Paying attention to the smaller details in the song, putting aside and accepting the operatic cheese-fest that this particular Olympic-Games-inspired outing is, I actually think it paints a really promising image of the new album and I'm looking forward to it.

Minus the choir and strings, the instrumental is quite rock and Matt's vocals are wonderful in comparison to the whine his singing has become in recent years. We started to hear the beginning of this during the Resistance but it wasn't really fully realised, kind of like when your voice starts to break through in your teens, but it's not fully there yet, it breaks occasionally, not solid.

I wasn't actually sure if it was Matt when he began singing, his voice to me, seems to have really matured. This is the most powerful I think we've heard it at for a long time. I welcome the scream and falsetto with open arms as we haven't even seen a glimpse that intensity of singing for a long time, but even the regular chest voice singing parts are much more realised than they were during The Resistance.

I guess to finish, they already confirmed my suspicion that this USOE-dramatic style of song is a one off on the album so taking the strings, cheese and choir out of it paints a better image of the albums entirety from a general perspective than the song as a whole and I don't particularly think the direction they're going in with this in mind, is bad at all.

It's definitely nu-Muse but I think it's much more back-to-roots and rock than we seen with Black Holes and Revelations or The Resistance.

Yes, to everything about this.

I wasn't actually sure if it was Matt when he began singing, his voice to me, seems to have really matured. This is the most powerful I think we've heard it at for a long time. I welcome the scream and falsetto with open arms as we haven't even seen a glimpse of that kind of vocal intensity for a long time, but even the regular chest voice singing parts are much more realised than they were during The Resistance.

It's definitely nu-Muse but I think it's much more back-to-roots and rock than we seen with Black Holes and Revelations or The Resistance.

Yes, I agree with this entirely. My initial thought was actually if you ignore the cheesy lyrics and the choir, it's a pretty bad ass song. Definitely heavier then what we got in TR.

Wow. Utterly immobilized by this tune and all the turns it takes. It's mega cheesy lyrics (it's the worlds biggest sporting event, nobs), but the instrumentation is by far some of the most impressive , perhaps the most impressive ever recorded by Muse. At first the dingydong ultraqueer pianolick threw me off, but after only a couple of hours it turns out to be my favorite part of the song.

And holy damn rockets, what a voice! Matt sings those cheddarlyrics as if he was Pavarotti, singing about a Baby Ruth. When the guitar kicks in for real, his voice takes me away to new born (no pun intended) galaxies, lets me see a thousand new colours and at the same time gives me multiple orgasms (yes, I am a 20 year old Norwegian kid). His guitarskills are also way up to date. I feel this song really follows in the same line of guitarvoicing as "Unnatural Selection", "Guiding Light" (the solo) and "Glorious". Dom and Chris are rocking as ever. It's been too long since I heard that perfectly crafted bassound Chris has developed over the years, and Dom, once again is the solid backbone of the band that keeps the madness contained.

To simplify the sound of the track;

It sounds like Beatles had a bastard child with Queen, whom which then fostered it together with George Lucas and his family of wookies. In other words:

IT FUCKING KICKS BIG, HAIRY ARSE!

Haters, later.

Noticed that the prelude isn't included on the version from Muse.Mu - does the Itunes version have it?

No, but this version on YouTube is not bad quality and converts the same when converted to MP3:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jt__jKWoYH8

Also agree with JakeLulz. The instrumental bit is brilliant: very beefy and rocky in a very back-to-their-roots way that we haven't heard in ages.And Matt's vocals are amazing. I also didn't recognise it when I first heard it from the twitvid clip, but it's got an added vigour and boost to it - only took him 15 years to develop from a teenage whine to adult, chesty bellow. :p

It's a shame the cheesy bit seems to have overpowered it for most people, because the music is actually great and a step in a new - yet somehow harking back to the old - style. Forget the shite lyrics etc. I even think the choir adds a nice touch to propel the ridiculous element further, which is what it's all about: the new wave of crazy, bombastic Muse! :D

I don't understand why they have to go back to the roots. Why do you want them to sound the same all the time? Just listen to Metallica, it gets boring. Experimenting is a show of musicianship and I love that they are trying new things.

I don't think people necessarily think they 'have' to go back to the roots, I think people just like at least an influence of the roots since it's usually that initial sound that get a lot of people into bands.

People like 'experimentation' but they also like recognition of the band's sound (which is usually the root sound), which Muse certainly have at this point.

Archived