How would you rate Survival, on a scale of 1-5?  

800 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate Survival, on a scale of 1-5?

• Poor - What is this shite?
    • Fair - Well, it's tolerable, but I'll skip it a lot.
    • Good - Decent song, some good parts.
    • Very good - Mostly enjoyable, some really great moments, but not perfect.
    • Excellent - Holy crap, I love it. I had to change my pants.

Maybe so, but Muse certainly have a certain 'quality' to their sound that just sounds undeniably Muse, ya know what I mean?

/QUOTE]

Naturally, all bands have their sound, and Survival has Muse's sound to it. It's just that it's mixed up with Queen and there's nothing wrong with that.

On this subject, this is one track from a whole album. There is no coincidence their only olympic song sounds like Queen because it has to be bombastic. Matt said he wrote it with the olympics in mind and where better to get inspiration than the band that penned the two single greatest sports anthems in history, namely We Are the Champions and We Will Rock You. Remember Freddie Mercury also wrote the song for the 1992 Barcelona Olympics.

The rest of the album won't be like this, but the olympics will be over before the album comes out, that's why they show us this song.

I honestly thought the dubstep would be a bigger concern than over-the-top songs, which are besides so Muse.

I feel like I'm the only one who noticed the totally obvious Rachmaninov's Piano Concerto no.2, Adagio sostenuto in the Prelude bit. People keep saying Disney, but it's a nod to Rachmaninov I haven't heard since OOS..

No I was confused at first too because I thought "Wait I know this...I thought I was playing Muse' new song?" and then realised... :LOL:

I hope that's not how he plays poker :unsure:

:LOL::LOL:

He would have misunderstood "poker face" then... :LOL:

-then the lyrics: I'm unqualified to really judge them, but as someone who does not like massive sports events (can't understand some people ruining their bodies to try to win a bloody game and millions watching that as a great entertainment) I tend to take the lyrics with a bit of sarcasm. Niall said the Olympics are not just about winning, most competitors will loose etc, and I would think that is the point in the lyrics - sheer will to win when for sure most will loose. I'm not sure whether it was Matt's purpose but I take it as silly lyrics showing how stupid the whole game is. Well I still don't quite understand why it should be about not forgiving and vengeance, unless it's about past games and losses and trying to take revenge.

Edit: forgot to mention that it's quite funny :) I gigled when listening to it first time.

The lyrics... I find them quite predictable and they're by no means perfect...but having listened a few times I can see (of course with a pinch of salt, don't get me wrong) how they can have appeal for competing sports people. Not all the cheese, but the basic idea is quite good. Especially considering we (read: I) have no knowledge of Matt ever having competed much in sports events he's hitting it quite near the mark... coloured by the big sporting event, coloured by a focus on those sports he understands better... but still a good idea.

I started dancing when I first heard it. Love the "beat"! :happy:

I'd rather have more dubstep than this, to be perfectly honest. Dubstep > Horrible lyrics.

This shouldn't be on the album. I don't hate it because its not meant to be for us. Its for the Olympics, which is exactly my point.

Horrible lyrics? What about Plug in Baby? Not like people have cared about lyrics before.

Plug In Baby is nowhere near this level of bad, and owes more to randomness than pure awfulness. Random always comes off better than pure, obvious cheese.

I tell you what. I am used to songs like these because I am a Queen fan. But when I first listened to Bohemian Rhapsody / March of the Black Queen / Millionaire Waltz, they sounded so odd to me I simply couldn't grasp them. After a few more attempts I could eat them and now they are amongst my all time favourites. If there's too much going on in a song, give it another shot later, who knows..

Archived