How would you rate Survival, on a scale of 1-5?  

800 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate Survival, on a scale of 1-5?

• Poor - What is this shite?
    • Fair - Well, it's tolerable, but I'll skip it a lot.
    • Good - Decent song, some good parts.
    • Very good - Mostly enjoyable, some really great moments, but not perfect.
    • Excellent - Holy crap, I love it. I had to change my pants.

Is it actually confirmed that this is going to be on the album? I reckon it could just a be one off on the side sort of thing like neutron star collision.

Well, I saw it on the leaked tracklist from the studio when they recorded the album, so most likely yes.

I'm sorry, but why the fuck do people think that just because one song has awful lyrics, the whole album will? The whole point of Survival is to be played at the Olympic games to promote the whole feeling of wanting to win and all that. Because it's going to be the song that people will associate with the 2012 Olympics, it makes sense that it would have cheesy/basic lyrics. Because average Joe citizen isn't going to be arsed to remember deep and meaningful lyrics, but "I'm going to win, yeah I'm going to win" sticks in the mind and is easily associated with a sporting event.

Unless I've missed something, The 2nd Law isn't going to be related to any kind of sporting event, so no doubt the lyrical content will be a lot more than just "I'm going to win."

Rant over. For now.

This.

I'm sorry, but why the fuck do people think that just because one song has awful lyrics, the whole album will? The whole point of Survival is to be played at the Olympic games to promote the whole feeling of wanting to win and all that. Because it's going to be the song that people will associate with the 2012 Olympics, it makes sense that it would have cheesy/basic lyrics. Because average Joe citizen isn't going to be arsed to remember deep and meaningful lyrics, but "I'm going to win, yeah I'm going to win" sticks in the mind and is easily associated with a sporting event.

Unless I've missed something, The 2nd Law isn't going to be related to any kind of sporting event, so no doubt the lyrical content will be a lot more than just "I'm going to win."

Rant over. For now.

At what point has anyone said that because Survival has shite lyrics that T2L will be entirely shite lyrics?

I assumed he was trolling me on facebook. Theres no way the mods can be that retarded.

Yurp. Bit ridiculous

Rant over. For now.

At what point has anyone said that because Survival has shite lyrics that T2L will be entirely shite lyrics?

Yeah this, when has anyone said that? :LOL:

yeah this man

I don't think anyone is that silly enough to assume the entire album will have lyrics as shallow as Survival, though tbf to assume that the whole album won't have phenomenal lyrics is fair imo since it's Muse

Can any non-blinkered fan of Muse please answer me this?

I have always admired Muse for their political/social comments on the world we find ourselves in. I have also, always, similarly admired them for their brave and unique take on where we, the human race, find ourselves! But...

...here we arrive at a place where a supposed moralistic band start behaving like coorporate whores!!

We must remember that we are in a time of political/social/economic uncertainty that has finally highlighted the gross inequality in our nation, let alone the world itself!!!

The Olympics are perhaps the most overt symbol of attempting to paper over these cracks; Disgusting coorporatism, unparalleled militarism on our streets, diminished legal rights, an extended Hoo-ray for the royal parasites and much, much more....not to mention 'teams' entering without a single female included!!!!!!!

Muse have lost all respectability for any of our generation who thought they stood for more!

They may as well be, Ant & Dec, Beiber, Spice Girls, David Cameron et al - Not in my name!

I have always admired Muse for their political/social comments on the world we find ourselves in. I have also, always, similarly admired them for their brave and unique take on where we, the human race, find ourselves! But...

...here we arrive at a place where a supposed moralistic band start behaving like coorporate whores!!

We must remember that we are in a time of political/social/economic uncertainty that has finally highlighted the gross inequality in our nation, let alone the world itself!!!

The Olympics are perhaps the most overt symbol of attempting to paper over these cracks; Disgusting coorporatism, unparalleled militarism on our streets, diminished legal rights, an extended Hoo-ray for the royal parasites and much, much more....not to mention 'teams' entering without a single female included!!!!!!!

Muse have lost all respectability for any of our generation who thought they stood for more!

They may as well be, Ant & Dec, Beiber, Spice Girls, David Cameron et al - Not in my name!

You're not gonna get any decent answers here...

Theres a lot of this.

One can only hope that Muse are absolutely taking the piss to prove a point, but somehow I doubt it. That slot on X Factor could be waiting.

I don't think Muse submitting a cheesy song to the Olympics really puts them on par with Spice Girls bro

also it's The Olympics, not the corporate bank convention maaaan

Or maybe they're just representing their country like any other band would if they were asked. I'm sure they were honoured when asked to represent the whole Olympic games, nevermind just represent their country. I highly doubt they would turn around and say "Hey man, no. We're not your coorperate whores! Take your left wing agenda somewhere else mannnn"

Rant over. For now.

Bit behind with the 'system' here: people make rash, nonsensical assumptions that the whole album will be whatever a 30-second clip contains. ANY 30-second clip that links to Muse. According to what we've heard, it's already a dubstep-infused bag of cheese-flavoured burps shaped like shit lyrics.

Writing a song that gets picked by the Olympics team as their anthem does not in any way make him support what you mentioned, where did you get that idea? In addition, listen to the lyrics, they don't support anything but a man's struggle. I like them.

Or maybe they're just representing their country like any other band would if they were asked. I'm sure they were honoured when asked to represent the whole Olympic games, nevermind just represent their country. I highly doubt they would turn around and say "Hey man, no. We're not your coorperate whores! Take your left wing agenda somewhere else mannnn"

It certainly doesn't fit in with some of the themes Muse have put out. I can see why hes confused.

There certainly is some irony in the fact that they are expressing their admiration for - and inspiration from - Rage Against the Machine more than they have for a long time while simultaneously selling out more than ever before.

I just listened to this song right now and it's mixed for me.

The intro and the outro were fucking awesome. The outro in particular (about 3:52 to the end) impressed me and I found that section itself to be much better than anything on The Resistance.

On the other hand, the three minutes in between those sections, there was some really awful stuff going on there. The guitar solo wasn't bad but the "ha ha ha ha" part was terrible and I really didn't like the chants in the background, just way too cheesy and cringeworthy.

Maybe I should give it a few more listens, because I may change my mind and right now I'm kind of undecided.

Archived