How would you rate Survival, on a scale of 1-5?  

800 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate Survival, on a scale of 1-5?

• Poor - What is this shite?
    • Fair - Well, it's tolerable, but I'll skip it a lot.
    • Good - Decent song, some good parts.
    • Very good - Mostly enjoyable, some really great moments, but not perfect.
    • Excellent - Holy crap, I love it. I had to change my pants.

V close poll. Finally managed to buy it after enduring a horrid penalty stage: go Spain! lol.

Anyways, onto the song: shame the download doesn't include the Prelude - can't see the point of excluding it.

I can agree the lyrics are shit, but that's not really been enough of a reason for me to outright dislike a Muse song. The worst I've heard lyrically from them is definitely NSC. Nothing can top the cheese and barf-worthy lyrics there. But there are very catchy elements of the song which redeem it, even though I do come close to puking at every 'love is forever'/'we'll die together' warble, especially knowing it's about Twatlight :p.

The words to Survival are unimaginative, sure, and could be much better than 'Fight! Fight! Win! Win!' etc - lol - but I'm always more taken by the style of their songs than the words: I find the 'all over the place' element a bit more refreshing. It makes it seem like a spontaneous and crazy bit of musical wizardry, which is what Matt appears to be trying to achieve.

They've not gone for conventional structure because nothing about the song is outwardly conventional. It's their one chance to mess about and while not following a consistent pattern, it still works, imo. I'm left thinking WTF in a good way. It reminds me of USoE. It's purposely OTT and Queen-esque and leaves you confused. This is more or less what people thought of that song, too, bar the lyrical disappointment.

I wonder whether the fight fight win win bit is deliberately stupid, like in a tongue in cheek way as if it's sending the whole thing up, particularly as Matt took the trouble to tweet it. It's meant to be funny, surely.

Are you saying people that follow the Olympics are stupid? Lolz. Great use of the word "there" too, btw.

I agree with all of your posts. :happy:

Lolz. No not everyone, but a majority of my southern american counterparts will be watching who have a hard time understanding the context of Jingle Bells much less Exogenisis or Ruled By Secrecy :D

I've only played it for the second time now.

The end of the first verse where Matt yelps "I'm gonna WWWWIIIIIIINNNNNNN!!!!!" is brilliant, as is the screechy falsetto and the guitar work, and the groove is pretty schweet. The sort of pepy between the prelude and when he starts singing is bad, and I still don't get the choir's need.

It feels like they tried to cover too many bases - I'd say ditch the pepy thing and just have Matt play the melody on piano before Chris, Dom and the string section join in.

Because we're Musers. If we don't over-analyse, criticise, rant, argue, ridicule and generally hate on most new material that comes our way we'd be known as Kasabian fans.
:LOL:

agreeing with basically everything i've seen you post lol

I don't get why people are taking this so seriously? It's not meant to be, Matt is just having a but of fun and even he knows it's ridiculously over-the-top. I love it for that.

Why I am taking this seriously:

- It's the first new song since NSC. I really wouldn't have like something good after that.

- It's the fucking Olympics! I thought a band would want to be at their best when millions of people around the world will hear their song repeatedly.

- I just don't laugh about jokes that I find crappy. If they wanna be funny, why not some good silliness like KOC?

I like the song and have bought it off the website, but am disappointed that the opening section (the most 'classical' and my favourite part) isn't included! So I have to listen to it elsewhere and am using up my broadband allowance!

It's not about it being 'seirous', it's that he's making a general attack (with words) against everyone in here instead of letting others have their own opinions. So he doesn't see why people like it - does that give him the right to insult us? I don't see why he hates it, but I accepted his view rather than hurling random idiotic attacks his way. It's the fact that he had to make a pointless remark instead of let others have their opinions that got him banned. Plenty of people disagree with each other on here, but we don't all attack each other unnecessarily. I could argue this in circles, but if you don't get it now, you simply won't.

nonono I do understand your argument, but obviously it is being taken seriously if people don't feel they can state their opinions because what he said and that they honestly took offense to it. Just state how much you like it or don't and ignore his opinion if you want. My point is I find it silly someone got banned for stating their opinion, harsh or not. That is all. now ignore me and carry on with your love/hate for this song! As the thread should be about.

Archived