How would you rate Survival, on a scale of 1-5?  

800 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate Survival, on a scale of 1-5?

• Poor - What is this shite?
    • Fair - Well, it's tolerable, but I'll skip it a lot.
    • Good - Decent song, some good parts.
    • Very good - Mostly enjoyable, some really great moments, but not perfect.
    • Excellent - Holy crap, I love it. I had to change my pants.

Yeah I noticed that too! Matt's vocals are really impressive actually.

Only just noticed it like wow! I love the way he sings it, like you can hear him smiling the whole time, he sings it with pride/humour and it's god damn sexy. Gives me chills at the first word.

Are there any parts that chris sings? I can't tell with all the 'sOoO I, ToOoLd YOU'

Only just noticed it like wow! I love the way he sings it, like you can hear him smiling the whole time, he sings it with pride/humour and it's god damn sexy. Gives me chills at the first word.

Are there any parts that chris sings? I can't tell with all the 'sOoO I, ToOoLd YOU'

Nah, all the choir.

I don't think people necessarily think they 'have' to go back to the roots, I think people just like at least an influence of the roots since it's usually that initial sound that get a lot of people into bands.

People like 'experimentation' but they also like recognition of the band's sound (which is usually the root sound), which Muse certainly have at this point.

The band's sound? This is the problem, Muse is defined as a progressive rock band, and you cannot define progressive rock into a single sound. Their "sound" is their variety.

i dare say that matt's vocals have never been better, i think it's amazing that he keeps improving. solid, powerful, the range, the versatility... superb! really quite curious to see how he'll pull this off live.

listening to it again now... love it :D

This song kicked me into fifty shades of blue and beat my mind with its fuck.

I didn't know what to think other than different when I first listened, but it's incredible. At first I thought it seemed like Matt was speaking more than singing at first aside for a few lines, but that seems like a bout of ignorance at the moment. I can't stop listening and wondering when it'll be available in the US iTunes store.

This song kicked me into fifty shades of blue and beat my mind with its fuck.

I didn't know what to think other than different when I first listened, but it's incredible. At first I thought it seemed like Matt was speaking more than singing at first aside for a few lines, but that seems like a bout of ignorance at the moment. I can't stop listening and wondering when it'll be available in the US iTunes store.

It already is...isn't it?

Aww :( maybe he will do the 'fight' bit like in uprising. In fact how are they going to do this song live? Whole choir? Backing track? Chris singing it all?

Oh wait, how could I forget, they have Morgan -problem solved

No I don't think even Morgan will be enough for this one.

i dare say that matt's vocals have never been better, i think it's amazing that he keeps improving. solid, powerful, the range, the versatility... superb! really quite curious to see how he'll pull this off live.

listening to it again now... love it :D

He just won't sing it :LOL:

It took a while to read through all comments ;)

Some thoughts:

-in general I like it, have been listening to it quite many times. It seems to have a bit too many components, but I can live with that.

-Matt's singing is a bit forced, artificial. He just doesn't have very impressive voice, except when singing high notes.

-I believe it has different parts, the prelude, then the IBTY-like piano intro, and the song itself, for convenient usage for broadcasting. So although I don't quite like it, I think it's there for purpose.

-the IBTY part sounds like it's done zillion times before, but it still works... I like it.

-the guitar part is quite heavy, I thought people would like that, many do. I do too.

-they know this is OTT song, an extreme case of that, so I'm still not too worried about the album. They said there are stripped down songs too.

-then the lyrics: I'm unqualified to really judge them, but as someone who does not like massive sports events (can't understand some people ruining their bodies to try to win a bloody game and millions watching that as a great entertainment) I tend to take the lyrics with a bit of sarcasm. Niall said the Olympics are not just about winning, most competitors will loose etc, and I would think that is the point in the lyrics - sheer will to win when for sure most will loose. I'm not sure whether it was Matt's purpose but I take it as silly lyrics showing how stupid the whole game is. Well I still don't quite understand why it should be about not forgiving and vengeance, unless it's about past games and losses and trying to take revenge.

Edit: forgot to mention that it's quite funny :) I gigled when listening to it first time.

The band's sound? This is the problem, Muse is defined as a progressive rock band, and you cannot define progressive rock into a single sound. Their "sound" is their variety.

Maybe so, but Muse certainly have a certain 'quality' to their sound that just sounds undeniably Muse, ya know what I mean?

Though that's off track. I'd agree with you if you're talking about the people who want more OoS or Abso, per say. A copy of those albums wouldn't be good, but an influence of those sounds on the new stuff would be a good showcase of evolution I'd think.

Everything about it is good, except the lyrics. The lyrics are appauling.

I geniunely think Matt is taking the piss and if he isn't then I'm not sure how much I want to do with this band anymore? Did you see his tweet? His tongue better be in cheek.

Heres hoping it isnt played live very much.

Archived