How would you rate Survival, on a scale of 1-5?  

800 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate Survival, on a scale of 1-5?

• Poor - What is this shite?
    • Fair - Well, it's tolerable, but I'll skip it a lot.
    • Good - Decent song, some good parts.
    • Very good - Mostly enjoyable, some really great moments, but not perfect.
    • Excellent - Holy crap, I love it. I had to change my pants.

Where the hell IS Sippe? It seemed beefy enough in here anyway, so I didn't notice his absence until now.

Music festival, as mentioned before. ;) But I noticed, these discussions of something new seem wrong without him here.

On another note, I'm excited for the different-ness on this album. And as I was from the beginning, it's kind of intriguing to listen to how Matt's voice has changed.

Not to the point where their lyrics is an extremely vital part of their music, so bashing this song for the lyrics isn't quite fitting.

This is a fair point, Muse aren't about lyrics.

But its very rarely been detrimental to the tunes, as with NSC, GL and now this. I'm sure people have their own other examples.

Not to the point where their lyrics is an extremely vital part of their music, so bashing this song for the lyrics isn't quite fitting.

I just commented that they do have some lyrical gems, I understand that they aren't known word wide for their lyrical content.

Has Luke Henderson actually just been banned for saying people need to be shot? If so, then people do indeed need to be shot. That would be absolutely obscene.

I don't think many people will know him by that name here :chuckle: But yes

It's growing on me. If I ignore the lyrics. That is imperative :LOL:

Paying attention to the smaller details in the song, putting aside and accepting the operatic cheese-fest that this particular Olympic-Games-inspired outing is, I actually think it paints a really promising image of the new album and I'm looking forward to it.

Minus the choir and strings, the instrumental is quite rock and Matt's vocals are wonderful in comparison to the whine his singing has become in recent years. We started to hear the beginning of this during the Resistance but it wasn't really fully realised, kind of like when your voice starts to break through in your teens, but it's not fully there yet, it breaks occasionally, not solid.

I wasn't actually sure if it was Matt when he began singing, his voice to me, seems to have really matured. This is the most powerful I think we've heard it at for a long time. I welcome the scream and falsetto with open arms as we haven't even seen a glimpse of that kind of vocal intensity for a long time, but even the regular chest voice singing parts are much more realised than they were during The Resistance.

I guess to finish, they already confirmed my suspicion that this USOE-dramatic style of song is a one off on the album so taking the strings, cheese and choir out of it paints a better image of the albums entirety from a general perspective than the song as a whole and I don't particularly think the direction they're going in with this in mind, is bad at all.

They're never going to make another Origin of Symmetry, they are nu-Muse now and it's definitely nu-Muse but I think it's much more back-to-roots and rock than we seen with Black Holes and Revelations or The Resistance.

I agree with everything about this. I noticed his new mature voice and how it sounds so much better, and the intensified voice.

Horrible lyrics? What about Plug in Baby? Not like people have cared about lyrics before.

I agree with this, but at the same time....

Plug In Baby is nowhere near this level of bad, and owes more to randomness than pure awfulness. Random always comes off better than pure, obvious cheese.

I agree with this a little. Plug in Baby lyrics are repetitive, and with short phrases, but lyrics from NSC are obviously more cheesy. Regardless, I still really like this song.

How can you all complain about the 'terrible lyrics' when i'm sure the majority of you don't mind Starlight :LOL:

Starlight, in my opinion, is nowhere near as bad as this. If you look at them on paper, they aren't great, but the execution is much better.

Look at Eternally Missed for an example of this.

Is it actually confirmed that this is going to be on the album? I reckon it could just a be one off on the side sort of thing like neutron star collision.

They said in the interview it's the most OTT track on the album. So yeah, it is on the album

Is it actually confirmed that this is going to be on the album? I reckon it could just a be one off on the side sort of thing like neutron star collision.

I don't remember this happening, but apparently they said it will be in that interview last night. It will be about as over the top as the album gets though.

It learn from its parents mistakes :yesey:

More like NSC was the father who raped and then abandoned the pregnant CE, who raised her lovely daughter Survival until the age of 10. At that point, CE died at Reading and Leeds festival, and Survival was raised by United States of Eurasia. And now, on the 27th of June, Survival is fully grown-up and ready to not be played live :awesome:

I'm sorry, but why the fuck do people think that just because one song has awful lyrics, the whole album will? The whole point of Survival is to be played at the Olympic games to promote the whole feeling of wanting to win and all that. Because it's going to be the song that people will associate with the 2012 Olympics, it makes sense that it would have cheesy/basic lyrics. Because average Joe citizen isn't going to be arsed to remember deep and meaningful lyrics, but "I'm going to win, yeah I'm going to win" sticks in the mind and is easily associated with a sporting event.

Unless I've missed something, The 2nd Law isn't going to be related to any kind of sporting event, so no doubt the lyrical content will be a lot more than just "I'm going to win."

Rant over. For now.

More like NSC was the father who raped and then abandoned the pregnant CE, who raised her lovely daughter Survival until the age of 10. At that point, CE died at Reading and Leeds festival, and Survival was raised by United States of Eurasia. And now, on the 27th of June, Survival is fully grown-up and ready to not be played live :awesome:

:awesome: Best fucking explanation there is! :awesome:+

Archived