How would you rate Survival, on a scale of 1-5?  

800 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate Survival, on a scale of 1-5?

• Poor - What is this shite?
    • Fair - Well, it's tolerable, but I'll skip it a lot.
    • Good - Decent song, some good parts.
    • Very good - Mostly enjoyable, some really great moments, but not perfect.
    • Excellent - Holy crap, I love it. I had to change my pants.

There certainly is some irony in the fact that they are expressing their admiration for and inspiration from Rage Against the Machine more than they have for a long time while simultaneously selling out more than ever before.

Muse are not selling out.

They're representing their country.

They aren't your super special indie band anymore no one has heard of.

muse are not selling out.

They're representing their country.

They aren't your super special indie band anymore no one has heard of.

I listened to Muse when they were Gothic Plague, I am the hipster king

:LOL:

And those two actions are mutually exclusive?

Depends. If you're a pretentious hipster who thinks that bands only do it "for the music maaaan" then it's selling out (quite naive) but if you understand being a ROCK BAND IS A JOB then it's the apex of your career.

Elaborate on what's the problem with the lyrics, I have no problem with them whatsoever, quite the opposite in fact.

I like the song and even I can admit the lyrics are pretty terrible. They're just simplistic and bland, moreso than any other Muse song to date. But I can ignore them for the most part.

Elaborate on what's the problem with the lyrics, I have no problem with them whatsoever, quite the opposite in fact.

I'm happy to disagree on this, thats what music is all about. The whole song is just meant to be motivational and, thanks in part to the transparent lyrics, it fails in that respect. It works because the music is good, but it fails because the lyrics are terrible. Nicki Minaj could've penned them. Starships, were meant to fly.

Or maybe they're just representing their country like any other band would if they were asked. I'm sure they were honoured when asked to represent the whole Olympic games, nevermind just represent their country. I highly doubt they would turn around and say "Hey man, no. We're not your coorperate whores! Take your left wing agenda somewhere else mannnn"

Yeah, I mean, it's not like they're RATM or anything....

I see joeymoone's point. Olympics are supposed to be about nations coming together, but certainly have very unappealing side phenomena too.

However, I don't hold taking part in the games against Muse in any way. The Olympics are a huge thing and a great opportunity. I can't ever really take Muse's supposed "activism" seriously at all, it's all a bunch of "raise your fist in the air and tweet about it" activism at tops. I see it as more humorous than anything.The track itself shows the band is taking it quite light-heartedly.

To be honest, I've never really taken Matt's 'political' stance about being anti-government or his fascination with conspiracies and now thermodynamics to heart: it doesn't drive my interest in the band, although it does admittedly add a layer of interest. What I'm saying is, it's the songs that matter, not the messages within them for me.

So, the fact that they're now allegedly 'supporting' this so-called evil machine known as the Olympics and wailing cheese-infused lyrics doesn't affect my liking the song. Thankfully, it's mostly instrumental anyway, so I can avoid the corny lines. I don't think they're selling out just because they've recorded this song, and I didn't think it for NSC either: it's another way for them to market themselves to a mass audience and get their music heard by lots of people.

They haven't changed as people or altered their musical style drastically for these 'institutions', and they've been able to do what they want with the songs as with any other they've created: it's hardly as if they've been told what to do and blindly accepted it while holding their hands out for the money.

In honesty, I'm not thrilled about the Olympics association because I simply hate seeing it everywhere I fecking go, and I'm no fan of LOCOG, but I can get past that because this is very short-lived. Once London 2012 has fucked off, we can get back to enjoying the new album and the live shows. Sorted :D

It seems pretty well received on the most part, the lyrics are understandable as we all know its fitting for the purpose.

But if it had got declined, and as Matt said it was going to be on the album anyway, the shitstorm towards the lyrics would have been incredible :LOL:

I see joeymoone's point. Olympics are supposed to be about nations coming together, but certainly have very unappealing side phenomena too.

However, I don't hold taking part in the games against Muse in any way. The Olympics are a huge thing and a great opportunity. I can't ever really take Muse's supposed "activism" seriously at all, it's all a bunch of "raise your fist in the air and tweet about it" activism at tops. I see it as more humorous than anything.The track itself shows the band is taking it quite light-heartedly.

Yeah, exactly. Muse may have big 'fuq da system!!!" messages but they've never really done much of anything to enforce their message. Have they ever even donated to a charity or really participated in any rallies or protests (and I know there has been plently in England lately)? Or even expressed their discontent towards any worldly manner (aside from the vague 'resource usage' and 'spying government'?)

So yeah.

I think the lyrics (and song as a whole) work in an "Eye of the Tiger" sort of way.

I think I heard Matt adressing the lyrics in the BBC interview, pointing out that they are not supposed to be inspirational in the "everybody wins" sense, rather than showing there is one person winning and the race towards the win (in life, too). Makes sense if you listen to the words. Not that it makes the lyrics good, but I like the angle.

Fights and battles have begun

Revenge will surely come

Yeah, that's perfect for the Olympics.

And so is

"And I'll give you my strength

to the whole human race

Yes I am prepared

to stay alive

And I wont forgive

Vengeance is mine."

?

Irony.

What I mean is, you're not meant to pay much attention to the lyrics other than the words of determination that are thrown in here and there. We Will Rock You has horrible lyrics in essence but that's not the point of the song and it doesn't ruin it.

You make a good point. But I've always loved the darker side of Muse so this always grates a little.

In any event, Starlight and Knights of Cydonia pulled off cheese without me wanting to pawn my Muse collections, so something is different here?

Depends. If you're a pretentious hipster who thinks that bands only do it "for the music maaaan" then it's selling out (quite naive) but if you understand being a ROCK BAND IS A JOB then it's the apex of your career.

I think you're missing the point that JoeyMoone was making earlier, to which I added.

Successful rockbands are indeed commercial for-profit endeavors. But when you start off with a rebellious anti-establishment mentality and message, a large chunk of your fans will share those sentiments. Most of these fans are not members of successful rockbands themselves, and therefore will not adopt an appreciation for wealth and profit at the same some bands do.

But anyone with half a brain can see Muse's progression from raging against the machine to joining the machine in full force. That's not a bad thing. That's not evil. But it is a change of character that some fans won't appreciate.

If that sentiment doesn't quite compare to your personal feelings or opinion that doesn't mean it's not justified. And it certainly doesn't make people who do feel that way pretentious hipsters.

Got it?

Archived