They looked crazy bored on the US tour last time... which was at the beginning of the tour cycle. It's hard to think time off is the answer for them any more.

I might buy tickets to see them if they came to my town, which isn't likely anymore. And I didn't have to take off work. And if it wasn't likely to be nice outside at that time of year. And I'd probably still feel bad about myself.

The "release the songs and then the album over a year later" is also sort of pathetic. Get everyone to buy every song individually for a year and a half and then throw them out on an album, maybe with a couple other songs, and expect them to buy that, too? Why?

For what it's worth, iTunes is usually really good about honoring previous purchases that end up being on an album. But yeah, for people who want a physical product that isn't any consolation.

What really worries me is how this is gonna affect the touring as well.

By the looks of it, they're gonna be touring the US this year, Europe next year, then they're putting the album out which you'd have to assume means another year or two of touring on top of all that (right?). I mean, touring for Drones lasted two years total and they already looked crazy bored and apathetic for big chunks of that by the time they got halfway through.

It's not even like there'll be 5 or 6 new songs to see at gigs to compensate for the likely static sets either (which look to just be a continuation of Drones' structure anyway), it'll just be 1 every few months for over a year.

Just sealed my trip to Belfast with plane and hotel reservations yesterday as well :(

Biffy and Nothing but Thieves

Do they not have advisors? I mean it's been beaten to death, but take the NKOK spot, add in B&H, assasin, something, and your oldest fans are happy. It's really not hard. The fact they don't do it screams of arrogance and obstinance. If they want a reaction toss something to people who have been fansbfor decades. Look at the crowd interaction with Matt when he asks the MSG crowd what song they want (Deadstar). Would you prefer that or a bunch of casual fans not paying attention to NKOK?

This is also where today's journalism falls short. Don't praise them for everything they do, put them on the spot. Blatantly ask you're loyal fans would love to hear one obscure song. Why won't you play one?

Edited by LarzKe

New Kind of Kick is a surprise and I know its another bloody cover, but its something I would've been up for. Playback vocals, less so.

I'm still up for Belfast, if as much for Biffy, Nothing But Thieves and Kasabian. Should probably book tix if I'm mad enough to go though.

Possible lil ray of hope - maybe the touring won't be too extensive next year, if they're planning on doing more once the album comes out, and they'll implement that little gig/big gig structure they've mentioned before?

pls don't laugh

Biffy and Nothing but Thieves

That's genuinely just made me feel a bit better about it, ta :chuckle:

Might not be massively into Biffy but they put on a damn good show last time I saw them.

New Kind of Kick was something I would've been up for.

Playback vocals, less so.

^^^

NKOK could actually be really fun live but when the frontman walks off and plays a music video of himself instead, it's just a bit embarrassing.

Do they not have advisors? I mean it's been beaten to death, but take the NKOK spot, add in B&H, assasin, something, and your oldest fans are happy. It's really not hard. The fact they don't do it screams of arrogance and obstinance. If they want a reaction toss something to people who have been fansbfor decades. Look at the crowd interaction with Matt when he asks the MSG crowd what song they want (Deadstar). Would you prefer that or a bunch of casual fans not paying attention to NKOK?

Do other bands have advisors for their setlists...? :erm:

In fairness, the fans screaming for Deadstar were the same 15 fans that go to every single NA gig and wait outside in the morning, some of whom weren't even from the US.

Not a good measure of the crowd.

What you do have to wonder at, is the decision to refuse to play a rarity (even counting Bliss, CE and PiB now as rare) due to crowd reaction, but then deciding that it would be better to play a joke Halloween song that the crowd doesn't know instead. That's a real wtf moment, even without the inexcusable playback.

This is also where today's journalism falls short. Don't praise them for everything they do, put them on the spot. Blatantly ask you're loyal fans would love to hear one obscure song. Why won't you play one?

Honestly, it doesn't work that way. Our complains will only look incredibly petty to anyone who isn't really into Muse.

Muse have made a conscious decision to focus their attention on the people who love Madness and Starlight (no offense to those people), so those of us looking for something else should simply look elsewhere. Don't give Muse your money if you don't like what they're doing. Let them stand there and wonder why the crowds are getting less and less responsive when they've marketed themselves with songs like Madness, Mercy and Dig Down for years.

Do other bands have advisors for their setlists...? :erm:

In fairness, the fans screaming for Deadstar were the same 15 fans that go to every single NA gig and wait outside in the morning, some of whom weren't even from the US.

Not a good measure of the crowd.

What you do have to wonder at, is the decision to refuse to play a rarity (even counting Bliss, CE and PiB now as rare) due to crowd reaction, but then deciding that it would be better to play a joke Halloween song that the crowd doesn't know instead. That's a real wtf moment, even without the inexcusable playback.

I don't mean an advisor for set lists per se, but every decision at this level is a business decision. They are dubbed "the best live band in the world." If I were there business manager I'd be pretty pissed about them trying to get away with a pre-recorded video of the frontman. It's not good for the bands image. Also not good when your setlist choices are alienating your base...that's your guaranteed ticket money. Can't just rely on casual ticket sales, what if the new songs don't catch on?

The actual fifteen people yelling up front were. But that's a hell of a lot better interaction with the crowd they've gotten since. I was there, other people knew immediately in my section when it turned green what it meant (I was in seats).

The people they are catering to are there for two songs. They react to them only. So play whatever you want because those people just sit there anyway.

This IS the business decision they're making. They're actively pursuing a large, mainstream crowd instead of a smaller venue sized dedicated one. It's been like this for a long time. And the reason they're seeing the terrible crowd reactions, especially in the US, is because they're not really doing the best at gaining that mainstream popularity.

No matter how big Madness was, one song one time like that doesn't fill 10k seats on the tour with screaming fans.

Matt just bashed his hardcore fans on Twitter yet again after Dig Down came out, as well.

That's where the stage show comes in, unfortunately, and all that "best live band" accolade doesn't come from their performance so much as it does the over the top circus that they put on.

A significant portion of that crowd shows up knowing maybe two songs, to see what everyone's been talking about.

The band's seeming obliviousness to how their choices are impacting what type of people show up to their gigs borders on insane, though.

And their decision to be pouty on stage, presumed by fans to be because of lack of crowd energy, is childish considering this is the exact crowd they've worked so hard to attract.

Possible lil ray of hope - maybe the touring won't be too extensive next year, if they're planning on doing more once the album comes out, and they'll implement that little gig/big gig structure they've mentioned before?

pls don't laugh

Wasn't it mentioned in another thread that Matt told an interview they'll be doing a European tour next year?

Be nice if that follows such a touring arrangement. If only cos I've done O2 shows on the last three tours so an alternative I can reach if I'm still interested next year would be nice. :chuckle: