As The Resistance tour finally comes to a close, a very interesting dynamic is now really going to set in for us Muse fans. Muse has been around for a while now, and with their sudden explosion of popularity after Resisance (especially in the US), its believable to say they are now a world superpower. However, when their next album is released, a lot of die hards will have to come to grips with the fact that a lot of older songs will never be played.

Think about it, most of us chek setlists religiously, I am sure weve all noticed how little Showbiz is played anymore. Now think about when ANOTHER album comes out. Its quite possible we wont hear any showbiz live for a very long time, unless they very rarely decide to pop out unintended or maybe cave. Unfortuantely the trend will ripple across with other albums

Origin of Symmetry still has about 3 or 4 songs on a setlist, but i would expect to see that number decrease. I doubt Plug in Baby will ever go away, but Feeling Good has now been seen to dissappear in and out of setlists, and with the reemrgence of ruled by secrey and USoE, plus matt said their new album will be more classical and low key, its quite possible feeling good will feel like a thing of the past. Newborn probably wont be played as often (it was switched out several times on this tour), and bliss, as rare as it is, will become even more rare.

Absolution will still have good recognition, Id imagine hysteria and time is running out will still be around, but even songs like stockholm syndrome may have trouble staying around consistently. butterflies and hurricanes will probably disappear for good.

Blackholes and Revelations will still have many songs, as it is still much more recent. Knights of Cydonia, Starlight, and Supermassive Black Hole will probably be staples to the setlist. Map of the Problematique (and to a lesser extent take a bow) will probably start being snubbed out more as well.

Resistance will obviously see the most holdover. Were likely to see all three of the singles plus USOE for a while (and though i cant figure out why, so will guiding light, but not unnatural selection or mk ultra.) that being said im still curious if theyll ever bust out all three exogenesis, something tells me they will

ALLLL this being said (and of course just all my opinion, feel free to share), what do you think we can expect in future setlists after their next album? matts been quoted as saying he wants smaller venue type music and possibly more classical sound (which is why i feel songs like stockholm, newborn, and motp would be swapped out in favor of lighter choices). What can Muse fans expect? how rare will showbiz and origin become? for this muser, hopefully not TOO rare

Generally I take everything Matt says with a pinch of salt. He's known for talking shit and whilst he might not be lying about the direction the new album will take I won't pass much judgement until I hear it myself.

I'm not really holding high hopes for it and I agree with you that a lot of their older stuff is going to disappear, which has already happened and I think we are all starting to accept although we don't seem to want to take it without a fight. Not that anything we say is making much difference, they don't really listen to fans...hey ho.

Based on this tour and their attitude in general (and when I say 'their' I mean Matt pretty much) I am still a Muse fan but only a fan of who they used to be and the music they used to make. I said Wembley would be my last Muse gig, and right now I'm standing by my word. They fucked European fans over and they've done the same to American fans so I can't justify seeing them again right now.

I can see this thread turning into another rant about setlists and the usual arguments rearing their heads but I think you made a really good post.

Sad to consider how far Muse have came and just how much they threw by the wayside now they have made it there.

What do I think we can expect from future sets?

Exactly what we have now....only OoS and Showbiz tracks will be pretty much gone (bar PiB and FG) and I think most of Abso will be rare too. They obv have to make way for the new material but obv they're not planning to extend their sets.

So, same shit, different shovel.

New Born = out.

Map of the Problematique = rarity.

Guiding Light = (Hopefully) out.

Overture = out.

Feeling Good = (I pray to God) out.

Stockholm Syndrome = occasionally played.

Insert all the worst songs from the new album and you have the setlist for the next tour.

New Born = out.

Map of the Problematique = rarity.

Guiding Light = (Hopefully) out.

Overture = out.

Feeling Good = (I pray to God) out.

Stockholm Syndrome = occasionally played.

Insert all the worst songs from the new album and you have the setlist for the next tour.

And you win the prize for the most depressing post of the day. :'( I doubt Feeling Good will be gone. I really hope they do change on the next tour but my gut feeling is that it will just get worse.

He's the man in charge of the setlists.

I think if Chris and Dom had a big problem with it, they would have put their foot down though.

I think if Chris and Dom had a big problem with it, they would have put their foot down though.

Dom has passed comment on the set lists in the past and didn't seem 100% happy about it, and Chris looks bored as hell playing GL etc. Tbh maybe it's just easier to go with the flow in their opinion.

I still think Matt's the driving point for all this shit.

Generally I take everything Matt says with a pinch of salt. He's known for talking shit and whilst he might not be lying about the direction the new album will take I won't pass much judgement until I hear it myself.

with what matt said, he could just be not talking straight and then come up with something completely different and very bombastic!

Unless they make a slow album, we could have setlists of slow songs!

This tour seemed devoted to just new fans, didnt accommodate for the fans (bar the setlist polls which were a complete balls up) who helped them grow into the popular band they are, after all they help fund them when going to the gigs ;) I fear the next album tour will be the same.

Dom has passed comment on the set lists in the past and didn't seem 100% happy about it, and Chris looks bored as hell playing GL etc. Tbh maybe it's just easier to go with the flow in their opinion.

I still think Matt's the driving point for all this shit.

I doubt Matt's some kind of evil dictator of the setlists. If that is the case and they're not standing up to him, they need to man up. I know Matt writes the setlists but if they don't think he's doing a good job, they should write the setlists themselves.

He's the man in charge of the setlists.

He is also the man in charge of the set design and ideas (hello towers!), the man who lost his pedal (so they can't play MM) and the man who doesn't like the piano anymore because it cuts him seeing from the public (coming from someone who spend 95% of his time with his eyes closed when he is facing that same public) hence why we only get 2 piano songs now.

This tour seemed devoted to just new fans, didnt accommodate for the fans (bar the setlist polls which were a complete balls up) who helped them grow into the popular band they are, after all they help fund them when going to the gigs ;) I fear the next album tour will be the same.

+1

with what matt said, he could just be not talking straight and then come up with something completely different and very bombastic!

Unless they make a slow album, we could have setlists of slow songs!

Oh I agree, which is why I'm not taking anything he says seriously. I'll wait and see what they come up with.

By the by, I am not interested in a classical album at all. I want old skool Muse, none of this pansy crap about love.

They took our jobs.

I'm a real fan.

I doubt Matt's some kind of evil dictator of the setlists. If that is the case and they're not standing up to him, they need to man up. I know Matt writes the setlists but if they don't think he's doing a good job, they should write the setlists themselves.

Either Dom and Chris don't really give a shit and are just letting Matt take the lead, they are happy with the setlist, or they aren't a fan but can't be arsed arguing.

I don't actually know what they are thinking, obv, but I'm just going by interviews etc.

Oh, and I suggested to Chris he writes the sets from now on. :awesome:

He is also the man in charge of the set design and ideas (hello towers!), the man who lost his pedal (so they can't play MM) and the man who doesn't like the piano anymore because it cuts him seeing from the public (coming from someone who spend 95% of his time with his eyes closed when he is facing that same public) hence why we only get 2 piano songs now.

He's also the man who has all his guitars stacked in the way of falling curtains. And we all know how that worked out.

Yea tbh if Dom and Chris had a serious problem with the setlists i think they would say something, there has been evidence to suggest that chris and dom are bored but i dont think that its serious enough for them to do anything. I think GL will be gone for good(invincible was played almost every gig last tour and its gone, and GL has been played way less), and FG i would like to think will be gone because they have rotated it sometimes, but we wont really know for sure untill next tour.

Bottom line is, he.. or they.. seem to have a problem playing anything other than the same 25 songs in rotation. Next album tour will be minus 5-8 songs from current rotation and adding the worst songs from next album.

He.. or they.. seem to be afraid of mixing it up, unfortunately.

The majority of us love Matt whatever. He's the driving force behind Muse's success and the creative lead and no one can deny that.

I do have to admit I do love the guy but curse him for not playing the regular 18 song setlists!!! :moody: the BHAR tour and earlier legs had longer setlists.

Tbh I don't think they have showed signs of being bored. They seem very happy, particularly with the idea of becoming the biggest band in the world, more than Matt. He's never said that. He's always said it's about the music.

Agreed, they all seem quite happy and enjoy playing this tour, I'm sure there is no problem whatsoever among them as a band.

Bottom line is, he.. or they.. seem to have a problem playing anything other than the same 25 songs in rotation. Next album tour will be minus 5-8 songs from current rotation and adding the worst songs from next album.

He.. or they.. seem to be afraid of mixing it up, unfortunately.

They are in some ways, I remember reading that the guys have forgotten how to play some songs live as well, they really practiced this setlist that they really didn't practice other tunes. The current set up limits them on what they can do.

I'm sure their next tours will be great, if only they could integrate a solid 18-song setlist with 1 rarity at least both old and new fans will be happy. Although the towers were cool they should go.... and maybe their stage and new songs make it easier to transition to other material.

For example Nishe came back and SS remained well because they transition easily with other songs...even the recent Citizen Erased+Nishe was a nice transition and in the same guitar settings.

I believe Undisclosed will remain too... I doubt Matt wants to leave the Keytar, he'll for sure use it with newer material, it's very likeable, it was his favourite tune off The Resistance.

Anyways, that's my opinion... 18 song setlists+1 rarity among next tour's gigs. Do that and it'll be like the BHAR tour all over again (the best one imo).

I think they will, inevitably, have to make the setlists longer. This is absolutely essential. I also think the sets will be less about hits and more carefully constructed, something has to give, and if the singles from album six are as popular as Uprising, Resistance, Undisclosed, then I could definitely see some more rotation happening.

plus, whatever the album is, we might love it? in which case if Guiding Light and Feeling Good disappear, I dont see how the setlists could be too bad.

/optimism.

I do have to admit I do love the guy but curse him for not playing the regular 18 song setlists!!! :moody: the BHAR tour and earlier legs had longer setlists.

Agreed, they all seem quite happy and enjoy playing this tour, I'm sure there is no problem whatsoever among them as a band.

They are in some ways, I remember reading that the guys have forgotten how to play some songs live as well, they really practiced this setlist that they really didn't practice other tunes. The current set up limits them on what they can do.

I'm sure their next tours will be great, if only they could integrate a solid 18-song setlist with 1 rarity at least both old and new fans will be happy. Although the towers were cool they should go.... and maybe their stage and new songs make it easier to transition to other material.

For example Nishe came back and SS remained well because they transition easily with other songs...even the recent Citizen Erased+Nishe was a nice transition and in the same guitar settings.

I believe Undisclosed will remain too... I doubt Matt wants to leave the Keytar, he'll for sure use it with newer material, it's very likeable, it was his favourite tune off The Resistance.

Anyways, that's my opinion... 18 song setlists+1 rarity among next tour's gigs. Do that and it'll be like the BHAR tour all over again (the best one imo).

The towers are infact not restrictive at all. Recent setlists have proven that tehy can actully get the towers to do anything, and if they had put there minds to it they really could have made each show unique by using different songs on the towersall the time etc etc.

I think they just stopped playing old rare songs because they like better their new stuff. Their into it, I mean, they got better and appreciate more what they do recently ... I don't think they like more their old songs (that would be strange and depressing lol) ! They do what they want.

My dream setlist would be longer than it is now, and I wish Matt will still play the piano, because it's just so nice to hear. I wish they keep some very rockin' songs like Stockholm Syndrom and I don't mind if they stop playing Feeling Good. It's okay, as long as they still have a balance between calm and rockin' songs.

But seriously, I hope their new album won't be too classical.Honestly, most of the time their crazy songs like Hysteria or New Born are a success, right ?

I love Muse so much, it would be damn sad for the future tours to be deceiving ! But they won't be ... right ? :eek: