Ruled by Secrecy, learning it on piano now (even found a setting on my digital piano thats sounds just like it).

I'm having to watch youtube vids of live performances to figure out what Matt plays in the solo, seeing as the sheet music is a sucky simplified version :(

I'm having to watch youtube vids of live performances to figure out what Matt plays in the solo, seeing as the sheet music is a sucky simplified version :(

I have read that the solo as written in the 'Best of Piano Sheet Book' from the Muse shop is actually incorrect.

Instead of live performances, search for; Ruled by Secrecy tutorial' on youtube, I think you will have more luck with that, than trying to follow and copy matt's magical fingers.

edit; I just did the above myself, this looks good: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHMkAZ7jVM4. And by good I mean potentially useful for you. Personally, after watching it a was like 'fuck that..' (I'm quite useless)

Discovered: shrinking universe (hullabaloo soundtrack) :)

Edited by philistine

Ruled by Secrecy, learning it on piano now (even found a setting on my digital piano thats sounds just like it).

What I do, I don't know if it's accurate, is to play the same notes on the left hand as the sheet music tells me to, but instead of just playing the chord once, I play it in the same rhythm as the right hand, and changing the chord to whatever the right hand is playing.

Might sound confusing, so I'll give an example. The second chord of the solo is a C, but on the 6th pressing (that's the technical term :p) of the chord, the G changes to G#.

The sheet music says to play an inverted C chord on the left hand, so I do that, but instead of only playing that chord on the 4th 'pressing' of the left hand chord, I play the left hand and the right hand at exactly the same time, and moving the bottom note of the left hand chord from G to G# at the same time as I make the top note of the right hand chord do the same thing.

Repeat that for all the chords and their respective note changes, and I hope I didn't make that too confusing for you :chuckle:

I have read that the solo as written in the 'Best of Piano Sheet Book' from the Muse shop is actually incorrect.

Instead of live performances, search for; Ruled by Secrecy tutorial' on youtube, I think you will have more luck with that, than trying to follow and copy matt's magical fingers.

edit; I just did the above myself, this looks good: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHMkAZ7jVM4. And by good I mean potentially useful for you. Personally, after watching it a was like 'fuck that..' (I'm quite useless)

Discovered: shrinking universe (hullabaloo soundtrack) :)

I'm actually looking at the official Muse Pianobook, but yes there are a few weird bits in it. Thanks for the link :) What Matt does isn't as hard as you might think, you just gotta know where to go (so to speak) and get there fast enough!

What I do, I don't know if it's accurate, is to play the same notes on the left hand as the sheet music tells me to, but instead of just playing the chord once, I play it in the same rhythm as the right hand, and changing the chord to whatever the right hand is playing.

Might sound confusing, so I'll give an example. The second chord of the solo is a C, but on the 6th pressing (that's the technical term :p) of the chord, the G changes to G#.

The sheet music says to play an inverted C chord on the left hand, so I do that, but instead of only playing that chord on the 4th 'pressing' of the left hand chord, I play the left hand and the right hand at exactly the same time, and moving the bottom note of the left hand chord from G to G# at the same time as I make the top note of the right hand chord do the same thing.

Repeat that for all the chords and their respective note changes, and I hope I didn't make that too confusing for you :chuckle:

Yeah I know what you mean, and I've been doing that but the perfectionist in me wants it to be exactly the same as Matt :LOL:

Not only that, there's a few small changes in the 3rd chorus that they were too lazy to include.

@philistine

I just wanted to say how much I enjoyed watching your top 30, thanks for making it :D I got worried when Citizen Erased wasn't there, but was excited when it was no.1;)

Thank you so much :) ( :love: )

I'm actually looking at the official Muse Pianobook, but yes there are a few weird bits in it. Thanks for the link :) What Matt does isn't as hard as you might think, you just gotta know where to go (so to speak) and get there fast enough!

No worries. Yeah, I have found that with Sunburn (I'm learning it, and Explorers, at the moment) the biggest problem is just not tripping over my fingers when I play in time (as opposed to extreme slow-mo).

Edited by philistine

Yes there is. Last falsetto scream. There's lots of notes in there, one of them's G#5.

Oh Nipso, are you EVER right about notes? :LOL:

In other news: Blackout. Never thought it wasn't awesome, just hadn't listened to it in a while and damn it's good.