• 3 weeks later...
"You, were like a pretzel" - the first line in the Handler

I have to listen again I have honestly no idea what he says half of the song.

LOL, but... That's quite strange. I find The Handler, if possible, one of the most comprehensible songs on the album due the slower rhythm of Matt's singing. Excluding its second half, where his voice quite drowns in the cosmical effected atmosphere of the song.

• 3 weeks later...
I used to think "H8" was some sort of drug, but now I realise that he's saying "Hate" and it fits in context. At least, I think that's what it means. 'Hate' makes more sense than a drug.

Apparently not.

"Using a microcomputer (Hitachi H8 / 3048F) which can be built into the industrial machines, you can learn and understand the inputs /outputs of the microcomputer as a basis of robot control and conduct the experiments by C-language for steppingmotor control, servomotor control (PWM control) and serial communication. H8 model, a 16-bit microcomputer consists of 32-bit registers, has a flash ROM of 128KB, a RAM of 4KB (SRAM) with external extension of 128KB and 78 I/O terminals with the built-in A/D and D/Aconverters. H8 is a microcomputer usually built into a TV, VTR, mobile-phone and car navigator. Since it has ample I/O terminals, H8 microcomputer is also used as a brain of a small robot."

Apparently not.

"Using a microcomputer (Hitachi H8 / 3048F) which can be built into the industrial machines, you can learn and understand the inputs /outputs of the microcomputer as a basis of robot control and conduct the experiments by C-language for steppingmotor control, servomotor control (PWM control) and serial communication. H8 model, a 16-bit microcomputer consists of 32-bit registers, has a flash ROM of 128KB, a RAM of 4KB (SRAM) with external extension of 128KB and 78 I/O terminals with the built-in A/D and D/Aconverters. H8 is a microcomputer usually built into a TV, VTR, mobile-phone and car navigator. Since it has ample I/O terminals, H8 microcomputer is also used as a brain of a small robot."

What your saying is we're instilling robots with H8 (hate)? No wonder Matt's paranoid.

What your saying is we're instilling robots with H8 (hate)? No wonder Matt's paranoid.

I think it's exactly the opposite...

Anyways, it's not meant to be "hate" in any form. He clearly says "H eight" and the description provided was substantiated by Bellamy back in the day.

So, it's likely about having to quash your emotions and make your brain more machine-like in order to deal with something overwhelming (either the scientific definition of space dementia or a relationship, whichever.)

I don't get how The Globalist is a CE sequel, but there's quite a lot of other stuff on OoS that had similar themes to Drones. Even the song Drones itself.

Interesting how long some of that stuck in his head.

Archived