Do people that only know The Resistance get to call themselves Muse fans?

Fareseru

Favourite album  

380 members have voted

1. 1. Favourite album

• Showbiz
    • Origin of Symmetry
    • Absolution
    • Black Holes and Revelations
    • The Resistance
    • Hullabaloo

This kind of reminds me of religious wars..."don't we all believe in the same god?" :rolleyes:

Sorry for this philosophic nonsense, but hell,

shouldn't "fanship" unite instead of creating two factions and divide them into "You truely love muse" and "You may say you love muse, but you love them for the wrong reason" or sth like that...

Also, anybody who got to know muse through The Resistance may learn to love the old stuff, too. It's what happened to me after liking "Starlight" and then listening to OoS. It was like a revelation to me. Something like the kind of music I had always been waiting for. But the new music isn't as bad either. Just different. I believe people just think it's bad because they expected something else (again that's what happened to me, too. On the first listen to The Resistance, I decided it wasn't worth buying it, because it didn't meet my expectations. After giving it a second chance, I realized it was loveable. I miss their old sound. But this is no reason to hate the new songs, is it?).

Muse simply develop, and that's basically a good thing, isn't it? Better than making them another band whose every album sounds just the same. Oh well. Amen ;)

PS: Seeing a band live without knowing all their stuff is nice. Seeing a band live and noticing your very favourite song right in the first second they start it....is ABSOLUTELY AMAZING :D

lol another proud moment.

@ the OP. and a few others. Its not silly to go and see a band based on 2 songs ( I went to see the coral based on dreaming of you and in the morning; I had a great night and discovered the Courteeners) but to spend arena/stadium sort of cash strikes me as a little odd. maybe I just dont love music :LOL: but seriously, if they go Im sure theyll listen to abit more so cool.

edit: actually, if they dont like OoS, I dont like them. tell them to go watch blink.

IMO, I think whenever you call yourself a "fan" of a band, you've listening to at least 80% of their songs and liked all of the ones you listened to. Of course there's going to be a few you dislike, of course that's acceptable.

But the thing with calling yourself a "fan" is that it could end up being a band like Muse and only listened to one song (SMBH for example) and think that all of their songs are like that. So you only know that one song and think that they do that one genre, when its not true.

So I think that you need to listen to a lot more songs before you call yourself a "fan" of Muse. I've listened to all of their albums and 99% of their b-sides (I'm sure there's a few I've missed) and I love them all. That's why I call myself a fan. :D

This is exactly how i feel. The real question I meant to ask was "Do people who only like songs off of the resistance get to call themselves a fan?". Well my friends have listened to New Born, CE, Apocalypse Please, Time is running out, Stockholm Syndrome, Star light and Hysteria and all of them they dont like.

I know that the way to a persons heart is to make the music they want to hear, and I believe that Muse did this with TR..... I have around 10 friends who love Undisclosed Desires, and here in Aus it was massively over played on the radio.

And I do not support the fact that "you have to have liked muse from when they first came out", what about people like me who were 8 when OoS was released??? I dont mean to sound stuck up, Im not trying to be like a cool kid who knows muse inside out, owns all their albums and pretends to be the "biggest fan".

When I started this thread, I was just wondering because I like commercial releases, but when they end up reeling in thousands of more "fans" (who really only like these commercial songs and dislike other muse songs) it seems a bit unfair to the other people who would enjoy all of muse releases being played in the concert, but are missing out on tickets. just my opinion.

This is exactly how i feel. The real question I meant to ask was "Do people who only like songs off of the resistance get to call themselves a fan?". Well my friends have listened to New Born, CE, Apocalypse Please, Time is running out, Stockholm Syndrome, Star light and Hysteria and all of them they dont like.

I know that the way to a persons heart is to make the music they want to hear, and I believe that Muse did this with TR..... I have around 10 friends who love Undisclosed Desires, and here in Aus it was massively over played on the radio.

And I do not support the fact that "you have to have liked muse from when they first came out", what about people like me who were 8 when OoS was released??? I dont mean to sound stuck up, Im not trying to be like a cool kid who knows muse inside out, owns all their albums and pretends to be the "biggest fan".

When I started this thread, I was just wondering because I like commercial releases, but when they end up reeling in thousands of more "fans" (who really only like these commercial songs and dislike other muse songs) it seems a bit unfair to the other people who would enjoy all of muse releases being played in the concert, but are missing out on tickets. just my opinion.

So only hardcore fans are allowed to buy tickets? That's still ridiculous and discriminating.

If you like the songs you've heard and you honestly think you are a fan then you are one.

I know someone who has seen Star Wars Episode I and IV and loved them both and talks about them a lot, are they not a star wars fan?

fan2

n

1. an ardent admirer of a pop star, film actor, football team, etc.

Sure I wish that Muse appealed less to these fans but it doesn't mean they shouldn't be allowed to like them, listen to them or see them live.

Anyone who thinks they aren't fans is just a Muse, and a music, snob.

Well yeah, obviously they can call themselves whatever they like. Personally I wouldn't call them fans of Muse if they only like UD and USoE, I'd call them fans of UD and USoE, particularly if they hate New Born, CE, Apocalypse Please, TIRO, SS, Starlight, Hysteria etc-all songs that made Muse Muse.

But yeah, of course they should be allowed to go to a Muse concert if they like! After all, it's only their own money they're wasting if they don't enjoy it.

I understand if you don't consider those real fan(atic)s of the band if they only like the few commercial songs that are on the radio right now. I wouldn't call myself a fan in their position, either. Yet, I don't really see why they should be blamed for other fans missing out on tickets. First come, first served. I don't think it's so unfair. I'm one of those who always miss out on tickets because I'm such a dopey slowpoke and that's my own fault :(. But where there's a will there's a way (such as my dear friend Ebay :D).

And. If I'm not mistaken, thousands of further fans, even if it's just for the commercial songs, mean more concerts around the globe. So...I think that's a reason to be thankful.

lol another proud moment.

@ the OP. and a few others. Its not silly to go and see a band based on 2 songs ( I went to see the coral based on dreaming of you and in the morning; I had a great night and discovered the Courteeners) but to spend arena/stadium sort of cash strikes me as a little odd. maybe I just dont love music :LOL: but seriously, if they go Im sure theyll listen to abit more so cool.

edit: actually, if they dont like OoS, I dont like them. tell them to go watch blink.

I dunno, I've been to festivals where I've not seen any of the headliners and only watched bands I had never heard of before.

But arena/stadium tickets for hugely popular bands go so fast today, that I don't know why someone into 1 or 2 songs would get up at 9am to go through that headache. There are some strange people out there.

But no band would get anywhere if only "fans" were allowed to turn up to shows. Music is for everybody and most bands are for everybody, it's not an exclusive club. In fact, gigs where there aren't full of diehard fans are often better because you don't have the stupid crush for the front and don't have millions of people taking pictures every 2 secs as if they are all trying to make flick books of the gig.

Why's that?

Most bands I go to see I've probably heard 30 secs of on Myspace. If you need to have heard everything by a band to go hear them live, you are not a fan of music. End fucking of.

Some bands I go to see I've probably got at least 2 or 3 of their albums at minimum but the majority I would have a lot of their albums. If I really like a band I will usually buy most of their stuff and I pretty much only go to see bands live that I really like. Too many gigs costing too much money - so I now only go and see bands I really like. Even at that now there is still too many gigs - so it's the one's I have not already seen.

This is just me - I don't like going to a gig if I don't know the music.

Often with rock music the live sound is poor and it helps if you know the songs.

If you go to see bands that you have only heard 30 secs of on Myspace, have you not been disappointed quite often?

I'd have to respectfully disagree with you there, while I enjoy listening to support acts that I don't particularly know, when I am going to see a band I try and saturate myself with them beforehand so I know every song - it just enhances the experience for me as I feel like part of the crowd more, if you know what I mean.

yes same here but that's if I have been told the support act is good.

If not then I will often be found in the bar :)

If you go to see bands that you have only heard 30 secs of on Myspace, have you not been disappointed quite often?

Strangely, not very often. Probably go with a mindset where I'm not expecting much and at the very least, it's fun to have a few drinks with friends and hopefully meet new people.

Last one in particular, what I heard on Myspace of the headliner didn't sound too great, but it actually turned out to be really good and I enjoyed myself.

I didn't go see Muse last year on their UK tour because of the ticket price, when you can go see great bands for a tenner, getting close to £50 for them starts looking too much, so I don't often end up at those size gigs. :)

But I guess I'm young and not got too many priorities in life except working out where the best gigs/club nights are next weekend!

It's Muse who owns their music. They have the right to do what ever the fuck they want. They only started to do this for their own fun anyway, not so they could get told what to do and what not by strangers. Their dedication, their fun. Their music.

Soon, we'll get 'fan' bouncers at the doors. They won't check to see if you've got a ticket or wristband, but they WILL quiz you on the lyrics to New Born and Cave. If you don't know them, clearly you're a piece of shite NON-fan that needs to GTFO. Who cares whether you're a paying citizen?! You don't even know Citizen Erased. What the hell good are you at this gig?! :fear: SHUUUNNNN the non believer!

I think they can, I mean if they like their music they're fans right?

However, it depends. For example, I like the odd songs from different bands and I become addicted to them, but when I start to listen to full albums I think the artists are dreadful. Is it really worth going to see a band, wait for the song you like and leave? xD

I suppose if they like the album after listening to it then, yeah, it'd be worth going to see Muse ^_^ (anyone who doesn't want to see Muse is insane, anyway =P)

Archived