Do people that only know The Resistance get to call themselves Muse fans?

Fareseru

Favourite album  

380 members have voted

1. 1. Favourite album

• Showbiz
    • Origin of Symmetry
    • Absolution
    • Black Holes and Revelations
    • The Resistance
    • Hullabaloo

Yes, they can call themselves whatever they want. BUT that doesn't mean they're right. That said, if they hate most of the masterpieces, they're not fans. Me, for example, I like "Human Behaviour" to death, but most of Bjork's stuff sounds very different from it, so I don't consider myself a fan, I just like that one song. I can understand the first poster when he feels these so-called fans are "fake fans".

There's this local band I've been crazy about for 20 some years. They played my hometown so many times I've lost count. Now, they haven't stricken it big like Muse, but they still fill up pretty big venues, and the intimate feeling of the shows is not the same. Sad for me, but good for the band. For if they hadn't been able to make a living out of it, there wouldn't have been an umptieth album for my ears to enjoy.

My two cents worth. :)

to an extent i agree, like it doesnt make sense to me to go to a gig of an artist who i only like a few songs of, like peronally i would rather be able to actually know the songs and the artist well instead of just being there and being like 'oh yeah ive just spent 100 dollars, and yeah hopefully i like the band'. i dont know it just doesnt make sense to me to go to a gig just for the hell of it.

it also irritates me when people are all 'yeah i love muse!' and only like starlight and SMBH, like a few of my friends are. i mean theyre allowed to like muse and those songs, but when they claim something like being a massive fan and dont even really know what theyre talking about that pisses me off. i personally dont really feel right calling myself a fan of a band unless i like a few more than two songs or whatever, because i know how ridiculous it sounds. however, its not like we can make some system to filter out the pussy fans and make it compulsory to like a certain amount of albums or whatever, so i guess we just have ti put up with it :rolleyes:

Wow. I never knew people were required to define and prove their personal dedication to a band. I suppose it depends on what your definition of a " fan " is, as you've discussed in many of the responses above.

Knowing now how " special " Muse is, I can see why some uber-fans would skoff at folks like me who consider themselves a Muse Fan.

About Jenny, a relatively new Muse fan: Caucasian female, 49, educated, musically picky.

Unfamiliar with the band Muse up until a couple months ago.

I have never seen a Twilight movie. Repeat. I have never seen a Twilight movie.

I normally prefer to listen to folk, country and bluegrass music.

One day, I heard Supermassive Black Hole on the radio and it rocked my world. I had never heard of The Resistance at that time.

Now I have some cds and a concert ticket, and I am excited every day to hear their music.

I am fairly obsessed with Matt Bellamy, and would give anything to shag Dom.

So, call me whatever you want. I will continue to call myself a Muse Fan - a rookie, if it makes you feel better.

Jenny in Cali xx

A Muse Fan :D

Why's that?

Most bands I go to see I've probably heard 30 secs of on Myspace. If you need to have heard everything by a band to go hear them live, you are not a fan of music. End fucking of.

I do that for cheap local shows, but for bigger concerts I couldn't do that. I only go to see bands im big fans of, and if I'm going to a festival or something I try to familiarize myself with at least some of the bands there.

And if I do happen to go to a concert for a band im not big on I try to listen to them a lot before going so I can join in with the crowd and stuff. If everyone is singing along, its much more fun to be able to sing with them than just sit and watch

And I also don't have the money to just do that.

Yes. End thread now.

Soon, we'll get 'fan' bouncers at the doors. They won't check to see if you've got a ticket or wristband, but they WILL quiz you on the lyrics to New Born and Cave. If you don't know them, clearly you're a piece of shite NON-fan that needs to GTFO. Who cares whether you're a paying citizen?! You don't even know Citizen Erased. What the hell good are you at this gig?! :fear: SHUUUNNNN the non believer!

This is what it's like now. :LOL:

Strangely, not very often. Probably go with a mindset where I'm not expecting much and at the very least, it's fun to have a few drinks with friends and hopefully meet new people.

Last one in particular, what I heard on Myspace of the headliner didn't sound too great, but it actually turned out to be really good and I enjoyed myself.

I didn't go see Muse last year on their UK tour because of the ticket price, when you can go see great bands for a tenner, getting close to £50 for them starts looking too much, so I don't often end up at those size gigs. :)

But I guess I'm young and not got too many priorities in life except working out where the best gigs/club nights are next weekend!

ain't that the truth - maybe that's were I'm going wrong, only going to the expensive gigs :)

Most of my friends love Undisclosed Desires and United States of Eurasia, and call themselves fans, and that they all "really" want to come to the Aus tour, but shouldn't they leave these positions to the true fans?

Who is to say who is a true fan and who is not. Bands evolve over time and the fans who were there at the beginning always tend to complain about their favorite band's current work, no matter what the band is. If a band gets new fans I don't see what the problem is.

There's no such a thing as "true fan". They don't exist. And everyone has a start of becoming a fan. For example I listened just to Black Holes and Revelations when I first heard of Muse. Why? Just because I didn't know their older albums and I really liked (and like nowadays too) that album. The second album I bought was Showbiz, though I didn't know what kind of music it will be.

I consider myself as a "true fan" if you want to use that word, even if I really really love the Resistance. And yes, I like Neutron Star Collision also. Now I'm in love with OoS and Absolution. Absolution is absolutely my favorite from them. Or the Resistance, don't know which one.

But anyways, my point is, that if you judge other people by what they're listening, new or old Muse, then I think that you're not the right person who would be allowed to attend Muse's gig. If you just don't want to hear their latest production, then don't go to the gigs 'cause it's 100% sure that they play something from the Resistance or Black Holes and Revelations. If you want only listen to their old songs, then just be in your own house and listen to them.

In the end I would say that everyone's allowed to attend Muse's gigs. It doesn't matter how long you've listened to Muse or what is your favorite album/song. Only thing that matters is that you enjoy Muse's music atm and you want to see them live 'cause they mean you something right now.

Hope you got the point :)

There's no such a thing as "true fan". They don't exist. And everyone has a start of becoming a fan. For example I listened just to Black Holes and Revelations when I first heard of Muse. Why? Just because I didn't know their older albums and I really liked (and like nowadays too) that album. The second album I bought was Showbiz, though I didn't know what kind of music it will be.

I consider myself as a "true fan" if you want to use that word, even if I really really love the Resistance. And yes, I like Neutron Star Collision also. Now I'm in love with OoS and Absolution. Absolution is absolutely my favorite from them. Or the Resistance, don't know which one.

But anyways, my point is, that if you judge other people by what they're listening, new or old Muse, then I think that you're not the right person who would be allowed to attend Muse's gig. If you just don't want to hear their latest production, then don't go to the gigs 'cause it's 100% sure that they play something from the Resistance or Black Holes and Revelations. If you want only listen to their old songs, then just be in your own house and listen to them.

In the end I would say that everyone's allowed to attend Muse's gigs. It doesn't matter how long you've listened to Muse or what is your favorite album/song. Only thing that matters is that you enjoy Muse's music atm and you want to see them live 'cause they mean you something right now.

Hope you got the point :)

Congratulations, you are the one hundred person to say this!

Here, have a cookie!

In short, yes, if they're not being pretentious about only liking 2 of their 60+ songs ever written.

I mean, you have to give people a break, because what a small fan is currently might become the largest fan evar. Dude, the first song I ever heard by Muse was Supermassive Black Hole. This was in 2007, right after BH&R had been released. I thought, "Oh my god what was that amazing song I just heard? Muse? Oh, I've heard of them, is this what they sound like? this is godly." K so anyways, about 10 min. later, without searching for another of their songs, Cave came up on the playlist, and I was like "Dude this band is incredible, who is this one now?!" And I saw that it was Muse. And the Muse was good. And I began following the good Muse.

So I had reverbed from their most current sound to their oldest sound in less than 10 minutes. And I liked both. So just because a fan only knows the most recent music to a band, it doesn't mean they aren't a "true" fan.

Gigs are a core part of promoting the band. Hence promotional tours when new albums are released.

It's no point if only those fans who were with the band from the start are allowed to go to them. They'd sell less tickets, get less airplay and there'd be less interest in the albums and singles.

Personally I'd say the best thing about a gig is seeing a band for the first time. Why deny that to people just to retain some exclusivity for yourself?

Anyway, same old topic. Rinse and repeat. Be happy that ever more people can enjoy the music :p

It's no point if only those fans who were with the band from the start are allowed to go to them. They'd sell less tickets, get less airplay and there'd be less interest in the albums and singles.

Be happy that ever more people can enjoy the music :p

Us older fans should not be the only ones to go to gigs. Yes some sort of loyalty bonus would be grand after spending so much over the years (and years and years);) but fresh blood is always needed.

I'm glad new people like the music. It makes for great convos.

Hey, I've just done the craziest thinking on that topic.... And I've come to the conclusion that actually there is no such thing as a true fan!!! It's all just exclusive bollocks anyways so give the band and the new fans a break!! Just thought that I should share this revelation so that at least someone speaks the truth in this thread.:phu:

-----

oh wait, 689080 people have already said the same thing? Well, nevermind.

But small fans become big fans! And yes, I am aware that a bunch of people have already said that. :phu: First song I heard was... Knights of Cydonia I think. SO I HAVEN'T BEEN A FAN FOREVER! And at first I hated it... But then I listened to it again and I loved it and was a small fan and then I listened to their old stuff and was like OMG THIS IS AMAZING! So... I'm not quite sure what the point of sharing that was... :phu:

But small fans become big fans! And yes, I am aware that a bunch of people have already said that. :phu: First song I heard was... Knights of Cydonia I think. SO I HAVEN'T BEEN A FAN FOREVER! And at first I hated it... But then I listened to it again and I loved it and was a small fan and then I listened to their old stuff and was like OMG THIS IS AMAZING! So... I'm not quite sure what the point of sharing that was... :phu:

I'm not sure either, but I kinda liked it:phu:

Most of my friends love Undisclosed Desires and United States of Eurasia, and call themselves fans, and that they all "really" want to come to the Aus tour, but shouldn't they leave these positions to the true fans?

To me you are a fan if you like the band enough to dig deeper. For instance, you hear a song you like such as Undisclosed Desires and it spurs you to find out more about that band, listen to their other works and really give yourself the chance to find out if you really identify with that band or not.

If you just know one or two of their most recent works I don't think you can rightfully call yourself a really true fan quite yet...especially when it's two songs out of over 100 out there when it comes to Muse. At the same time, if they wanna come to the tour they should, they may decide they love Muse and then there truly will be new true Muse fans in the world.

Yes. End of story.

Also, quit throwing around the term "true fan". There's no such thing. It just makes those who use it sound like pretentious idiots.

Hahaha, I totally agree! :D

I was introduced to Muse by Exogenesis, but now 8 months later my favourite album is OoS. I listen to it everyday!

I consider myself a true fan, as true as anybody else who loves Muse! :)

I personally wouldnt call myself a "fan" of a band unless I knew/owned all or a majority of their albums. But that doesnt mean I would pass up the chance to see them live if they played nearby.

If they want to spend £50 to see a band that they know little about, then that is their choice. Afterwards they will probably either regret it or they will become obsessed and buy all of the albums.

Archived