Do people that only know The Resistance get to call themselves Muse fans?

Fareseru

Favourite album  

380 members have voted

1. 1. Favourite album

• Showbiz
    • Origin of Symmetry
    • Absolution
    • Black Holes and Revelations
    • The Resistance
    • Hullabaloo

It's pretty silly to pay $100+ to go see a band that you only like/know two songs of.

If they want to see them, they should be able to, but it's a bit silly of them.

Why's that?

Most bands I go to see I've probably heard 30 secs of on Myspace. If you need to have heard everything by a band to go hear them live, you are not a fan of music. End fucking of.

In reality, yes. They're casual fans which may lead to them becoming bigger fans and listening to the back catalogue. If not, they'll enjoy it while it lasts and enjoy the gig.

In Myooze land, no. Listen to OoS or gtfo.

I agree and don't agree, I personally disagree with Super Massive Black Hole and also The Resistance on a whole - they seem to be made mainstream and to appeal to everyone. I dont think that because they like these songs will they like OoS, it seems to have its amazing effect only on the more rock/alternative fans.

I agree and don't agree, I personally disagree with Super Massive Black Hole and also The Resistance on a whole - they seem to be made mainstream and to appeal to everyone. I dont think that because they like these songs will they like OoS, it seems to have its amazing effect only on the more rock/alternative fans.

A massive selling rock band on a major label and you expect them to make music for a niche audience? :facepalm:

Not that rock is a niche, but it's hardly 2001 where mentioning listening to Muse, then deemed a scary goth band could get the shit kicked into you :)

They could make it just for the "niche" of rock, and still sell huge, Im just wondering whether they specifically made those songs so that they approved to an even larger audience, or whether they wanted to experiment with a different sound? I reckon time would have been better spent making more amazing niche songs. Just my opinion.

Why's that?

Most bands I go to see I've probably heard 30 secs of on Myspace. If you need to have heard everything by a band to go hear them live, you are not a fan of music. End fucking of.

I'd have to respectfully disagree with you there, while I enjoy listening to support acts that I don't particularly know, when I am going to see a band I try and saturate myself with them beforehand so I know every song - it just enhances the experience for me as I feel like part of the crowd more, if you know what I mean.

I'd have to respectfully disagree with you there, while I enjoy listening to support acts that I don't particularly know, when I am going to see a band I try and saturate myself with them beforehand so I know every song - it just enhances the experience for me as I feel like part of the crowd more, if you know what I mean.

I get what you mean. I do the same thing :).

Also I want to be completely sure I like the band before spending money going to see them. I would never buy tickets for someone that I've only heard 30 seconds of, as someone else here posted. I'm too broke for that..

Yes. They are fans of The Resistance by Muse, so they like Muse's work, so they are fans. As a friend to them, it is your moral obligation to introduce them to more awesome albums, allowing them to become more HC/obsessive fans :)

You're not a fan unless you've heard Citizen Erased *super crazy face*

Think you're right there. I remember when I first heard CE.... my brain nearly exploded from the awesomeness of the beginning, then my heart felt all heavy in the slower bit, and a tear stung my eye in the last verse. I would count it as one of the best days of my life.

i enjoyed muse first with SMBH, but i heard it first in doctor who and i really liked it (i hate twilight). a few years later i saw undisclosed desires on telly, and the next day uprising on Top Of The Pops. now i know every single muse song! i wanted to know all the songs first before i went to the gig

now im proud to be A MUSE FAN! and when i say fan, i mean proper fan!

Yes. They are fans of The Resistance by Muse, so they like Muse's work, so they are fans. As a friend to them, it is your moral obligation to introduce them to more awesome albums, allowing them to become more HC/obsessive fans :)

yeah i agree. if they already like resistance, go back in time to BH&R, then ABSO, then show the hullabaloo, then OoS and showbiz. dont forget haarp!

Well I personally wouldn't call myself a fan of a band with multiple albums if I only knew one album. It's more that I'm a fan of that one album.

But the idea that people who only know The Resistance should leave concert seats to "true fans" is silly. Absolutely anyone is entitled to go to a show, whether they know all albums or none at all.

Yes they are fans but they have no idea of what Muse sounded like in their greatest two albums (OoS and Absolution). I always try and familiarise with some songs from bands if I'm seeing them live and don't really know them, just makes it better for me. And yes, everyone who doesn't think Citizen Erased is the greatest song ever created clearly isn't a Muse fan :rolleyes:

Archived