Do people that only know The Resistance get to call themselves Muse fans?

Fareseru

Favourite album  

380 members have voted

1. 1. Favourite album

• Showbiz
    • Origin of Symmetry
    • Absolution
    • Black Holes and Revelations
    • The Resistance
    • Hullabaloo

This thread made me laugh so hard...^^

My question is : why do people want to be called a "fan"??

I mean... the first Muse's song i've heard is New Born and it was like in 2004... i found it so fucking amazing at first hearing, so i started to listen other songs and i discovered simultaneously Showbiz and OoS... since then i've never stop listening to Muse. I know and love every single song they made, i went to a few amazing gig from the Black Holes and Revelation tour to the Stade de France yesterday (and tonight) (:happy:) and every time i speak of Muse to my friends they make fun of me saying "ahah you're a fangirl!" but i don't want to be called like that! aw...

• 2 months later...

I don't see why they shouldn't be allowed to go. You don't have to be a lover of everything to have a fantastic time. I don't like spirits but I still go to the pub! :D If anything, a night at a gig will introduce them to songs that they may not have otherwise listened to. They could end up loving their older stuff more.

Sure, it's a real shitter when longer-running fans lose out on the tickets. It would piss me off too but sadly it's a case of "first come, first served."

I think the problem is that the people who only know the singles rather than just TR, say example some are probably just listen to what's on the radio and when a gig comes up one of their friends buys them for a group of six and go down to the gig.

TBH while i would like some people to listen to their albums fully before going to a gig, though on the otherhand forcing others to listen to all their albums would make it a bad impression to the older/core fans.

A fans a fan, but its a bit poop when you are the only one singing along (badly) to songs and other folk are just stood around you at a gig

I couldn't enjoy myself completely if I didnt know most/all of the songs played at a gig. which is probably why i just seem to roate between James, Muse and U2....

When I was at the SECC last year, I saw a few folk with 'Love mUSE, hATE Twilight' tshirts on and they were ace xD

not sure what happened to the caps lock key there

what REALLY bugs me, is not the people who 'only know the resistance calling themselves fans', because they are and folk can liek what they want, its folk that have never heard of Muse before and think they are only known because of Twilight.

And if you're no quick enough to get tickets, well, you snooze you lose pal!

What I don't like about people who only know and like the latest album is that for some reason the band is supposed to choose setlist after what they want to hear. Playing older songs wouldn't work since they haven't bothered to check them out. If you're going just for the new songs, fine, I do that do. But I sure all hell don't expect the band to correct themselves after what I want.

What I don't like about people who only know and like the latest album is that for some reason the band is supposed to choose setlist after what they want to hear.

Well... I see this attitude from the older fans around here all the time.

And you can hardly blame the new fans for the choices that the band make themselves.

Well... I see this attitude from the older fans around here all the time.

And you can hardly blame the new fans for the choices that the band make themselves.

:erm: when did I do that?

I'm talking about the attitude that many of the new fans have.

No; you can be a fan of that particular album but it doesn't necessarily translate to being a fan of the group.

People who only have the Resistance might hate all the older stuff; the sound is completely different so how can they then call themselves Muse fans when they only like a small percentage of their music?

I think a "true" Muse fan is one who appreciates everything Muse have released and grown with it so that also means a lot of us need to let go of OOS being their defining work! For me; it's Absolution and I've been a fan since 2002

No; you can be a fan of that particular album but it doesn't necessarily translate to being a fan of the group.

People who only have the Resistance might hate all the older stuff; the sound is completely different so how can they then call themselves Muse fans when they only like a small percentage of their music?

I think a "true" Muse fan is one who appreciates everything Muse have released and grown with it so that also means a lot of us need to let go of OOS being their defining work! For me; it's Absolution and I've been a fan since 2002

So if I dislike 5-10 songs I'm not a "true" fan?

:erm: when did I do that?

I'm talking about the attitude that many of the new fans have.

Fair enough. But I still don't see how it's different from the attitudes of the many old-time fans.

On the subject of fans, I'd say that if you like just -one- album by a band who have a few, then you're more of a fan of that album than the band. For instance though I love The Queen Is Dead I wouldn't really call myself a fan of The Smiths. But other people might have different definitions.

Yes. End of story.

Also, quit throwing around the term "true fan". There's no such thing. It just makes those who use it sound like pretentious idiots.

This.

It's the height of superiority complex when you define other fans by what music they know or like of the band. Just because I consider Origin Of Symmetry a better album it doesn't mean I can look down on fans who don't share the same view.

I can see the other side of the arguement in that for a couple of songs the other night I was very aware I was the only one going mental to a few...

Fair enough. But I still don't see how it's different from the attitudes of the many old-time fans.

On the subject of fans, I'd say that if you like just -one- album by a band who have a few, then you're more of a fan of that album than the band. For instance though I love The Queen Is Dead I wouldn't really call myself a fan of The Smiths. But other people might have different definitions.

I agree, but if people want to call themselves fans, fine by me. But I wouldn't do it.

We can switch it around like this. If I like a bands debut album, but not any of the albums after that, why would I call myself a fan of the band?

Why does any of this matter?! :rolleyes: It's just a fecking word! It's arbitrary... there's no set-in-stone definition of a 'fan'. All this ridiculous elitism over 'who's allowed to be called a Muse fan' is so immature, I just don't understand it. * le sigh*. Anyways, I'm not gonna get into any beef, I'm just surprised this stupid thread still exists :chuckle:.

If you only know TR, and like it, sure.

If you know all of their songs, but only like TR, you're not a proper fan.

But I also think the same way about any album. If you really love OoS, but don't like the others, and maybe especially BH&R and TR, you're not a proper fan either.

But really, I think it's up to every individual person if they want to call themselves a fan or not.

Oh, wait.

Why does any of this matter?! :rolleyes: It's just a fecking word! It's arbitrary... there's no set-in-stone definition of a 'fan'. All this ridiculous elitism over 'who's allowed to be called a Muse fan' is so immature, I just don't understand it. * le sigh*. Anyways, I'm not gonna get into any beef, I'm just surprised this stupid thread still exists :chuckle:.

This.

I've been into Muse since Showbiz (saw 'em at Reading in 99 and 02), but I'd only say I properly became a 'fan' around Absolution/BH&R.

Origin of Symmetry is an album where almost all the songs (barring Citizen Erased and probably New Born and possibly Hyper Music) are either overplayed or crap. It's the sound of a bunch of really talented musicians who, in the main, haven't quite got the hang of this 'writing songs' lark.

Archived