Do people that only know The Resistance get to call themselves Muse fans?

Fareseru

Favourite album  

380 members have voted

1. 1. Favourite album

• Showbiz
    • Origin of Symmetry
    • Absolution
    • Black Holes and Revelations
    • The Resistance
    • Hullabaloo

What I don't like about people who only know and like the latest album is that for some reason the band is supposed to choose setlist after what they want to hear.

They are? I always thought that most bands pick the songs based on marketing possibility. A tour especially is there to promote the band and the latest music. If you just play a greatest hits of classics for old fans you end up like Status Quo ;)

But anyway, there's no such thing as a "true" fan. Fans are fans. They can be dedicated fans yes, and maybe they will stick by the band no matter if they are pumping out utter crap. That may be called blind faith and isn't necessarily a sign of some elitist club which is what people seem to think true fans are.

They are? I always thought that most bands pick the songs based on marketing possibility. A tour especially is there to promote the band and the latest music. If you just play a greatest hits of classics for old fans you end up like Status Quo ;)

But anyway, there's no such thing as a "true" fan. Fans are fans. They can be dedicated fans yes, and maybe they will stick by the band no matter if they are pumping out utter crap. That may be called blind faith and isn't necessarily a sign of some elitist club which is what people seem to think true fans are.

Muse ARE playing their greatest hits+new songs, but it sure as hell isn't for the old fans.

And what? I said that it was what the new fans wanted, not anything about what the band actually choose to play.

Muse ARE playing their greatest hits+new songs, but it sure as hell isn't for the old fans.

And what? I said that it was what the new fans wanted, not anything about what the band actually choose to play.

Classic hits I mean which is what the setlist moaners seem to want. What they're actually playing is mostly new stuff, not a load of classic hits. And they're not playing what new fans want at all. They're playing most of The Resistance and I'm sure most are only interested in a few of those, plus those off BHAR.

No, Muse are plugging the album for commercial and artistic reasons. If they were playing what either new or old fans wanted the setlist would be very different.

Whatever, it would never keep people happy except the majority of us who don't give a crap other than to have a damn good night out, see a band we love, and don't care if they play old or new stuff, and whether the guy/girl next to them is a "true" fan or any of that crap.

Just play what the fans want all the time and you have no creativity, freshness, and become a stale band no better than tribute bands. I say let them play what the hell they like. If you like it you like it, if you don't you don't. It's their band.

Classic hits I mean which is what the setlist moaners seem to want. What they're actually playing is mostly new stuff, not a load of classic hits. And they're not playing what new fans want at all. They're playing most of The Resistance and I'm sure most are only interested in a few of those, plus those off BHAR.

No, Muse are plugging the album for commercial and artistic reasons. If they were playing what either new or old fans wanted the setlist would be very different.

Whatever, it would never keep people happy except the majority of us who don't give a crap other than to have a damn good night out, see a band we love, and don't care if they play old or new stuff, and whether the guy/girl next to them is a "true" fan or any of that crap.

Just play what the fans want all the time and you have no creativity, freshness, and become a stale band no better than tribute bands. I say let them play what the hell they like. If you like it you like it, if you don't you don't. It's their band.

You come with good points and all, but seem to completely have missed the point of my original statement, that many new fans expect them to play all their hits and new songs. An old song that they can't recognize and they wonder what the fuck the band is doing.

The difference with most of the old fans is that they/we aren't asking them to play all their old classics. Most of us are just asking them to keep it fresh and change it around, instead of playing the same songs over and over for every gig.

Did you even read my post properly?!

Yes I did. The first part doesn't say anything about the matter, and after that you write "I think a "true" Muse fan is one who appreciates everything Muse have released and grown with it so that also means a lot of us need to let go of OOS being their defining work".

So my question still stands, what DO you mean by that? Both that you need to appreciate everything Muse have released and that we can't see OoS as their defining work. You later claim that Absolution is their defining work for you, what makes you so different?

Wait, are you saying that if I for example enjoy everything except BH&R, I'm not a fan of Muse, I'm just a fan of the albums I like?

actually i kinda get what this thread is about.

i do find it a little sad, surprising when someone tells me they're a Muse fan, but when i ask them whether they like Bliss or Uno or something and they give you that *blank stare*, it really makes you wonder whether they're truly Muse fans.

but oh well. i think what's more important is that the older Muse fan 'teach' newer Muse fan cause afterall we're all Musers eh? :D no one starts a pro in anything.

Sorry if someone else said this first (or better) but...

If only "true" fans (followers from the early days) were permitted to attend Muse concerts, or get the good seats, or whatever, then Muse would not sell out their shows and would not be able to tour. They would also probably not want to make records if they weren't going to get any new fans.

I think the "true fan" idea is ridiculous.

Most of my friends love Undisclosed Desires and United States of Eurasia, and call themselves fans, and that they all "really" want to come to the Aus tour, but shouldn't they leave these positions to the true fans?

Okay, proper response now. Sorry if all these points have been covered, but I want to feel important. :LOL:

I'm assuming that by "true fan" you mean "person who knows every Muse song." Well, how did you first get into Muse? Some people get into music by seeing live shows. If a person has heard 1 or 2 Muse songs that interest them into seeing a show, then YES they should DO it. Because going to a show guarantees them exposure to Muse songs better than Undisclosed Desires and USoE. Then they will buy those songs, get into the other material, then become your definition of "true fans." If they decide that they didn't like it as much as they thought, well, at least they were openminded enough to go to a concert for a band they didn't know too much about, and I respect that.

Leave the positions to the "true fans"? "True fans" will be the first to buy tickets, I should think, if they are planning on going. Everyone else probably isn't going to wake up super early just so they can hit the "buy" button as soon as it's clickable. I do not feel like they are intruding upon my right to see Muse.

</drawn out answer>

I'd have to respectfully disagree with you there, while I enjoy listening to support acts that I don't particularly know, when I am going to see a band I try and saturate myself with them beforehand so I know every song - it just enhances the experience for me as I feel like part of the crowd more, if you know what I mean.
I do the same i like to know every song before I go to a gig but theres nothing wrong with going to see acts if you dont really know them. It would be stupid to say only "true fans" should be allowed in, especially with a muse gig, they've won like a million best live act awards so you'd expect music lovers to be want to see what all the rave was about they might turn out to love them where they wouldn't have bothered trying before

Okay, proper response now. Sorry if all these points have been covered, but I want to feel important. :LOL:

I'm assuming that by "true fan" you mean "person who knows every Muse song." Well, how did you first get into Muse? Some people get into music by seeing live shows. If a person has heard 1 or 2 Muse songs that interest them into seeing a show, then YES they should DO it. Because going to a show guarantees them exposure to Muse songs better than Undisclosed Desires and USoE. Then they will buy those songs, get into the other material, then become your definition of "true fans." If they decide that they didn't like it as much as they thought, well, at least they were openminded enough to go to a concert for a band they didn't know too much about, and I respect that.

Leave the positions to the "true fans"? "True fans" will be the first to buy tickets, I should think, if they are planning on going. Everyone else probably isn't going to wake up super early just so they can hit the "buy" button as soon as it's clickable. I do not feel like they are intruding upon my right to see Muse.

</drawn out answer>

i attempted prove a point the same as this but after seeing yours realised i failed misrably :p I totally agree with you

i have often been at a festival and after seeing someone live bought their albums and loved them where I wouldn't have found them otherwise

This is a ridiculous thread.

I've gone to see bands where I know none of their songs. I would call myself a fan of some bands even though I probably only know a few of their singles and would go see them live.

It's a mad thought to think that of every band you like you know every album and every song.

This is a ridiculous thread.

I've gone to see bands where I know none of their songs. I would call myself a fan of some bands even though I probably only know a few of their singles and would go see them live.

It's a mad thought to think that of every band you like you know every album and every song.

+1895736

lmao hotlinking

Anyone describing themselves as "true fans" are unconscious hipsters. There exists no such thing as a true fan, and if you consider yourself mightier than everyone else you need to be slapped in the face with a copy of Random 1-8.

Archived