Do people that only know The Resistance get to call themselves Muse fans?

Fareseru

Favourite album  

380 members have voted

1. 1. Favourite album

• Showbiz
    • Origin of Symmetry
    • Absolution
    • Black Holes and Revelations
    • The Resistance
    • Hullabaloo

I'd have to respectfully disagree with you there, while I enjoy listening to support acts that I don't particularly know, when I am going to see a band I try and saturate myself with them beforehand so I know every song - it just enhances the experience for me as I feel like part of the crowd more, if you know what I mean.

No. Recently went to see the Chemical Brothers (Who I have every album by, as well as a number of other things) and they played their new album in full which no one has heard and EVERYONE was dancing the whole time. Other gigs I've been to recently have been I was there purely because of the promoters, as they always put on good bands and I can never be bothered to listen to them prior and always enjoy myself.

Not all gigs are like Muse ones, get to some smaller ones and you'll discover a whole new world. :)

Like when I heard OoS, I thought to myself that this is the pinnacle of rock/alternative. The lyrics, the combination of instruments, the structure, the buildups and overall the sound. I know that because they like at least one album it makes them fans, I was just angry because there are people that love Muse, every part of it, and they are going to miss out because people who like a few songs are going to get tickets first.

I don't know about 'pinnicle', too hard to tell really, but it was definitely a perfect album for that point in time, the UK didn't really have any big rock bands, that was all coming from the USA while we were having the over commercial fall out from Britpop and OOS along with Relationship Of Command by ATDI were sort of a pre-cursor to the emo thing that was about to hit among the "alternative" crowd.

Emo is obviously a bad term now as it became very "commercial" very quickly, but at that point in time, the term didn't exist, there was no fashion and the music was much more raw, angsty and more "out-there".

Oh for fuck's sake.

Few years ago I used to be one of these "non-true fans" who had only heard one album from the band and considered herself a fan like any other. Every fan starts from somewhere! It's really pretentious to divide the fans into two groups like this. As if some fans were better than others, that's irritatingly egoistic.

And what does the favourite album have to do with anything at all? That's extremely offtopic.

Exactly... that's the annoying thing about Musers - a lot of 'em can be up their arses and assume there's some 'league' of fandom :rolleyes:. It's very pretentious and just stupid, really. Who's to say whether you get to go to a Muse gig or not just because you don't know every song they've played?! Lol at the poll, too :facepalm:

No. Recently went to see the Chemical Brothers (Who I have every album by, as well as a number of other things) and they played their new album in full which no one has heard and EVERYONE was dancing the whole time. Other gigs I've been to recently have been I was there purely because of the promoters, as they always put on good bands and I can never be bothered to listen to them prior and always enjoy myself.

:yesey: I don't get this reasoning whereby people assume you have to know a band's songs in order to see them play. Why can't you just discover new music at gigs like you would by listening online/radio/whatever? It's so contrived to think that you're not a 'fan' just because you've showed up to see a band that you're not all that familiar with. It's not as fun when you can't sing along, but that doesn't mean you don't have the right to be there. People who think that need to gtfo, seriously. I'm gonna make my stand and go to tomorrow's gig without having heard a single thing by the band :phu: lol. SEE if anyone can stop me! lol ;)

Guest Sarah-x

yeah there fans. that would be like saying that people who only like S andd OoS are not true fans because they dont like the newer stuff.

there just not as hard core as people like me who likes every album and b-sides. :D

I don't like going to concerts of bands that I don't know a lot about because I won't know what to do at the gig. I don't want to be the guy just bobbing his head or headbanging... and then be the only guy left doing that when the song suddenly stops or goes into a bridge section or something.

I like being the guy singing along to every song/doing an interpretive dance. :D

I don't like going to concerts of bands that I don't know a lot about because I won't know what to do at the gig. I don't want to be the guy just bobbing his head or headbanging... and then be the only guy left doing that when the song suddenly stops or goes into a bridge section or something.

I like being the guy singing along to every song/doing an interpretive dance. :D

I personally have stopped caring or being self-conscious about stuff like that... just go with the flow; who cares if you're 'the guy just bobbing his head'? Nowt wrong with that, imo. It's not like you're gonna get a cross in the 'good fan' column if you're not singing along :p. If you're having fun, that's all that matters. ;)

Each to their own, I guess.

Sounds like you're a bit awkward in social situations. :p

Get a few drinks in you and don't be afraid to look like a twat, you always get people talking to you if you're different :awesome:

Can people honestly say every gig they have been to, they're a huge fan of every band? If a band are playing nearby me and/or it's cheap or if someone invites me, I will go see them play. Going to see a band is just one way of getting into new music, would you say to someone buying a CD "Oh do you know their other stuff, you shouldn't buy it otherwise" No, because that's silly

I started with BH&R and only knew a few other songs from other albums, like new born and hysteria, but then all of a sudden I became obsessed and decided to find every muse song possible. Back when i only majorly knew BH&R i considered myself a fan, now i consider myself obsessed, I think that could be part of the difference :happy:

i lost it, for like a moment, i don't even know why i did this but, what are other people's opinions?

Showbiz= Emotional/experimental muse with a few songs that sound a bit more mainstream (coma, overdue, sober, fillip), generally enjoyable if you're a pretty big muse fan to begin with

Origin of Symmetry= Heavy/dark muse. Sure they might have been baked and not terribly prepared when they wrote/recorded this album, but it sure as hell doesn't show, because this is one of the most intense/emotional/progressive/rockingest albums ever written, and is therefore loved by tons of fans.

Absolution= MUSE, when they started taking the music more seriously and putting a polished effort into each album. It might not be as dark and intense as OoS but this is an amazing album, music wise. The songs highlight muse as an incredibly talented three piece band and include gems like SS, Hysteria, orchestral experiments like Blackout, and even some good acoustic (FAWY).

Black Holes and Revelations + (The Various B-Sides that came with this era) = Actually really amazing material, stretching into genres and experimental sounds that muse had not previously fooled around with because before this album, they had always had to record with a producer in the room ect. Technically this could be called the beginning of 'unfiltered muse' (despite what others say) because they had more control over what they wanted to write, and no longer felt as much pressure to please because absolution had already been a huge success.

The Resistance= muse alone in an italian bunker. and I'm out of energy, someone else describe it!

Can people honestly say every gig they have been to, they're a huge fan of every band? If a band are playing nearby me and/or it's cheap or if someone invites me, I will go see them play. Going to see a band is just one way of getting into new music, would you say to someone buying a CD "Oh do you know their other stuff, you shouldn't buy it otherwise" No, because that's silly

I've been to a few gigs where I've not known the band that well or known all their stuff, it's a fun experience most times. Even the most recent gig I went to (Chemical Brothers), I knew a lot of their stuff but didn't know half the setlists, was still a good time.

As for this post, I'd say if they only knew (and liked it) 1 of 5 albums then it's fair enough for them to think they like Muse. Not a 'huge' fan or a 'long time fan' but a fan.

Its just silly to say you are not a fan because you don't know all a bands back catalogue, its very elitist.

I go a lot of gigs, some of which I don't know many of their tunes, although I do try to listen to some stuff before the gig, I still enjoy it though, if I really love them then I check them out in more depth. Its a great way of discovering music. It would not be possible to know every song from every band I see, when would I sleep:LOL:

There is no criteria that has to be satisfied to qualify you as a fan of something. I too first liked Muse after hearing BH&R when my sister bought it. I then called myself a Muse fan, even after only hearing one album. Their awesomeness made me want to look for their other material, and so now I love that too (if not more). Does the fact that I started liking Muse in only the past three years mean I am a lesser fan than someone who liked them from the Showbiz/OoS era? I don't think so. Maybe the fact that Muse's style changes so much for every album means some people are going to like only their older, more intense material and others only like their newer stuff.

IMO, I think whenever you call yourself a "fan" of a band, you've listening to at least 80% of their songs and liked all of the ones you listened to. Of course there's going to be a few you dislike, of course that's acceptable.

But the thing with calling yourself a "fan" is that it could end up being a band like Muse and only listened to one song (SMBH for example) and think that all of their songs are like that. So you only know that one song and think that they do that one genre, when its not true.

So I think that you need to listen to a lot more songs before you call yourself a "fan" of Muse. I've listened to all of their albums and 99% of their b-sides (I'm sure there's a few I've missed) and I love them all. That's why I call myself a fan. :D

A thread about whether there is criteria one must meet before being allowed to be titled a 'fan' of a pop/rock band.

Think we've made some ground here.

I know... it fucks me off to no end. :rolleyes:

Tell me, what kind of 'test' do people have to pass to be 'worthy' of being a Muse fan?! And what's the prize at the end? A giant piece of cheese or a banana? Or maybe an 'I <3 Muse and know all their songs so I'm a TRUE fan' t-shirt signed by Bells? :awesome:

I've been on these boards for years, but I didn't think we'd reached this level of pretentious wankery before. Le sigh.

Recently I went to a gig of a band I hadn't even listened to a lot just out of pure impulse and during that gig I fell in love with the band, and after it I've been listening to them almost as much as Muse. So no, you don't have to like a band to go see them. You might be positively surprised and find something new to listen to.

Besides, why would you have to know Muse's back catalogue to go to a concert? they never play those songs anyway. ;)

:LOL:

Tbh, the Muse gig I went to is only one of two concerts I've ever been to where I actually knew more than one or two songs from the band. Good music is good music. :D

As for the fan thing... :rolleyes::facepalm:

Archived